Only legal Isopods in United States according to USDA

Spyro

Arachnopeon
Hi Everyone,

I've seen lots of people wondering what the USDA regulates and does not regulate as far as different types of Isopods go. I contacted the lead entomologist there to find out. Here is the list that he sent back to me. Only these species can be sold in the United States AND they require a PPQ 526 permit to do so. Let me know if you have any questions!

Armadillidium klugii
Armadillidium maculatum
Armadillidium nasatum
Armadillidium vulgare
Atlantoscia floridiana
Cylisticus convexus
Cubaris murina
Oniscus asellus
Porcellio dilatatus
Porcellio laevis
Porcellio scaber
Porcellio spinicornis
Porcellionides floria
Porcellionides pruinosus
Porcellionides virgatus
Rhyscotus texensis
Trachelipus rathkii
Trichoniscus pusillus
Trichorina tomentosa
Venezillo parvus

Malum Argenteum

Arachnoknight
Interesting. Completely unenforced, as far as I know -- the trade of isopods in the absence of permits is ubiquitous.

Probably falls under this:

"A PPQ 526 permit is required for the importation, interstate movement and environmental release of most insects and mites that feed upon or infest plants or plant products, including agricultural crops, trees, shrubs, native plants, etc."

So, a plant eating insect is technically probably regulated.

From: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ou...and-soil-permits/insects-and-mites/ct_insects

Exclusions for common feeder insects:

Edit to add: would you consider posting a screenshot of your correspondence, edited for privacy if needed? I'd like to pass this along to other communities, and having documentation would help that (there's not apparently any relevant details on the USDA site). Thanks. :)

Last edited:

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
Based on my study of isopod law in the past few months, I think this information is partially incorrect. The fourteen species listed are the species that require permits but DO NOT require containment facilities. Other species of exotic isopod (including the high demand Cubaris) can still legally be kept and sold in the United States but require both PPQ 525's for possession and interstate travel AND stipulate a containment facility. Additionally all NATIVE species do not require permits.
Please see below: (From the leading hobbyist on USDA regulation)

Any exotic isopods will also require and FWS permit to be imported into the US if they are coming from abroad.

Last edited:

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
I suppose it is possible (though extremely unlikely) that my information is out of date, but I know for a fact that all native isopods are not regulated, though naturalized species are. It would be EXTREMELY surprising to me if USDA\APHIS opted for a total crackdown on non-native isopods especially considering their recent deregulation of hobby cockroaches (many of which have the potential, however unlikely it may be, to cause agricultural damage).

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
I mean, it's COMPLETELY unenforced... Unless you hold permits for other inverts, in which case you likely will want permits for everything you have. There are just FAR too many isopod breeders without permits, the USDA has neither the time, funding or even interest in knocking down people's doors to take their pretty roly-polys, the only isopods that may be more strictly regulated are ones they think are threatened or endangered, (which I understand fully), but even then most of the time all they can do is catch them at ports of entry as they're being imported into the country, once they're here and being bred, not much they can do.
Since isopods aren't big agriculture pests, they're low on the USDA's list of priorities, and will remain low so long as the amount of hobbyists without permits significantly outweighs the number of hobbyists who do. I personally will never advocate for getting permits for that reason, we don't need MORE regulation of these low priority groups like isopods and roaches, which is all I can honestly see happening from more and more people getting permits...

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
Since isopods aren't big agriculture pests, they're low on the USDA's list of priorities, and will remain low so long as the amount of hobbyists without permits significantly outweighs the number of hobbyists who do. I personally will never advocate for getting permits for that reason, we don't need MORE regulation of these low priority groups like isopods and roaches, which is all I can honestly see happening from more and more people getting permits...
I am afraid I have to respectfully disagree with this. While Isopods may not be major agricultural pests the naturalized species of Porcellio and Armadillidium have seriously affected american ecosystems, outcompeting numerous other native isopods. It's not just about threat to agriculture, but also wider threat to ecosystems. It is far better to work within the existing system of regulation than to try and flood it with people working outside it. The Plant Protection And Quarantine Act was passed for a reason: the protection of both agriculture and native flora and fauna.
I am all for deregulation of certain groups (in particular millipedes, the stringent regulation of which makes little sense while buffalo beetles, a vector for numerous avian diseases are unregulated) but until that happens, it is better to be within the law then outside it. Those of us who can get permits, should. Because those of us who refuse to, put the long term survival of the hobby at risk.

Malum Argenteum

Arachnoknight
it is better to be within the law then outside it. Those of us who can get permits, should. Because those of us who refuse to, put the long term survival of the hobby at risk.
Agree 100%. Those keepers flouting regulations in the herp community, for example, are bad actors that are making things much harder on the rest of that community, as their actions lead to more stringent, and often far less evidence-based, legislation.

isopodgeek

Arachnosquire
I just applied for my 526 PPQ permit. I added the 14 species of Isopod that don’t need a containment facility.
Hi Everyone,

I've seen lots of people wondering what the USDA regulates and does not regulate as far as different types of Isopods go. I contacted the lead entomologist there to find out. Here is the list that he sent back to me. Only these species can be sold in the United States AND they require a PPQ 526 permit to do so. Let me know if you have any questions!

Armadillidium klugii
Armadillidium maculatum
Armadillidium nasatum
Armadillidium vulgare
Atlantoscia floridiana
Cylisticus convexus
Cubaris murina
Oniscus asellus
Porcellio dilatatus
Porcellio laevis
Porcellio scaber
Porcellio spinicornis
Porcellionides floria
Porcellionides pruinosus
Porcellionides virgatus
Rhyscotus texensis
Trachelipus rathkii
Trichoniscus pusillus
Trichorina tomentosa
Venezillo parvus
First off, thank you so much for this awesome and helpful list.

I just filled out a 526 PPQ permit 2 weeks with all the isopod species I know of (the 14 on Mantis Manageries list https://themantismenagerie.com/usda/arthropoda/malacostraca/) that don’t require a containment facility. I also added in some exotic millipedes that don’t require a containment facility.

My only question is do all species on this list not require a containment facility?

isopodgeek

Arachnosquire
It is really unfortunate that many keepers( not all) don't have the proper permits. Not just for Isopods but other inverts.

Yes, we all know that Isopod laws are not enforced. I do not know why but maybe it's because roly polies aren’t MAJOR agricultural pests.

Just because they are not enforced, doesn't mean people should break them. Breaking these laws is illegal activity. If doing something illegal doesn't phase a person, what does?

I would love to keep Rubber Duckies( Cubaris in general), gaint Porcellios, Porcellio Expansus and more. I can’t as I don’t have a containment facility and don’t plan on going through the hasal to get one until after college.

I really wish more people would understand that yes, you need a permit for specific bugs.

As they always say, a few bad apples ruin the bunch.

Then again, I am just a teenage invertebrate keeper so what do I know.

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
My only question is do all species on this list not require a containment facility?
Yes. As all of these species are naturalized so USDA\APHIS sees little point in trying to contain them. Frankly, I think its a little pointless that they're trying to permit naturalized species at all given how well many of these species are already wll established in the Continental US. But, those were the rules instituted in 2019, and so these fourteen species do require permits but not a containment facility.

Spyro

Arachnopeon
I currently have over 100 permits being processed for isopods and springtails. My business will have the proper permits so we are on the correct side of the law. Thanks to all of you who do the same.

isopodgeek

Arachnosquire
I currently have over 100 permits being processed for isopods and springtails. My business will have the proper permits so we are on the correct side of the law. Thanks to all of you who do the same.
Do all the isopods on the list you posted not require a containment facility or do some on your list require that?

Spyro

Arachnopeon
Do all the isopods on the list you posted not require a containment facility or do some on your list require that?
I think they all do not require a facility. You must be specific when filling out your permits though as to how you house them.

isopodgeek

Arachnosquire
I think they all do not require a facility. You must be specific when filling out your permits though as to how you house them.
I just want to be 1,000% sure that all of the species on your list do not require a containment facility. I only asas the following species are on your list and not Mantis Manageries list.
Porcellio spinicornis
Cylisticus convexus
Porcellionides virgatus
Rhyscotus texensis
Trichoniscus pusillus
Trichorina tomentosa

I really don’t mean to be rude but what do you mean by “I think”.

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
I just want to be 1,000% sure that all of the species on your list do not require a containment facility. I only asas the following species are on your list and not Mantis Manageries list.
Porcellio spinicornis
Cylisticus convexus
Porcellionides virgatus
Rhyscotus texensis
Trichoniscus pusillus
Trichorina tomentosa

I really don’t mean to be rude but what do you mean by “I think”.
I did not notice that discrepancy but it is incredibly important. Are these new exemptions, and if so could you provide documentation?

Spyro

Arachnopeon
Guys, please do your due diligence and check for yourselves. So far, all of those species that I applied for permits for did not require a containment facility. Like I mentioned ABOVE, you have to be specific as to how you are going to prevent them from escaping and how you ship them too. I spoke with Dr. Carlos Blanco from the USDA-APHIS. He is the one that eventually signs off on your PPQ-526 permits for at least isopods and springtails. I don’t have applications in for anything else at the moment, so I cannot speak to other organisms. 👍

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I mean, it's COMPLETELY unenforced... Unless you hold permits for other inverts, in which case you likely will want permits for everything you have. There are just FAR too many isopod breeders without permits, the USDA has neither the time, funding or even interest in knocking down people's doors to take their pretty roly-polys, the only isopods that may be more strictly regulated are ones they think are threatened or endangered, (which I understand fully), but even then most of the time all they can do is catch them at ports of entry as they're being imported into the country, once they're here and being bred, not much they can do.
Since isopods aren't big agriculture pests, they're low on the USDA's list of priorities, and will remain low so long as the amount of hobbyists without permits significantly outweighs the number of hobbyists who do.
I agree with this for the most part. For the average enthusiast, pursuing permits may not be worth one's time.

I personally will never advocate for getting permits for that reason, we don't need MORE regulation of these low priority groups like isopods and roaches, which is all I can honestly see happening from more and more people getting permits...
See, I dunno about that. If you look at areas of the invertebrate hobby that are seeing more regulation/the potential for more regulation, such as with tarantulas, what is driving that is illegal shipments, not more people getting import/export licenses. That isn't the greatest example, but I think it applies in a sense to things like roaches and isopods.
I've heard the policeman argument (if you constantly bother a policeman about crossing the road at a certain spot [more people getting permits], he's going to start watching you with greater scrutiny [greater regulation]), but if you think about it, is that how it always play out? After you've exasperated the policeman, is he going to want to have to deal with you more (more regulation), or is he going to tell you to knock it off and move away (deregulate)?

In short, I don't think getting more permits is going to lead to further regulation (especially not when APHIS is as tied up as it is, USFWS doesn't care, and the rest of the US government is busy elsewhere), otherwise I wouldn't have pursued permits myself.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
I am afraid I have to respectfully disagree with this. While Isopods may not be major agricultural pests the naturalized species of Porcellio and Armadillidium have seriously affected american ecosystems, outcompeting numerous other native isopods. It's not just about threat to agriculture, but also wider threat to ecosystems. It is far better to work within the existing system of regulation than to try and flood it with people working outside it. The Plant Protection And Quarantine Act was passed for a reason: the protection of both agriculture and native flora and fauna.
I am all for deregulation of certain groups (in particular millipedes, the stringent regulation of which makes little sense while buffalo beetles, a vector for numerous avian diseases are unregulated) but until that happens, it is better to be within the law then outside it. Those of us who can get permits, should. Because those of us who refuse to, put the long term survival of the hobby at risk.
But that's the thing... The USDA and APHIS generally don't seem to care about the displacement of native isopod species... I'm not saying that these new hobby species don't pose a threat to native isopods, of course they do, and many of the new species in culture come from climates similar to the US and thus could establish themselves here just like many other species have. However, that concern is not one I've been led to believe the regulatory branches of our government prioritize, at least, not when it comes to isopods, where most people probably haven't even seen our native species, (most of which are pretty small and unassuming).

That's a concern that falls upon hobbyists to consider, and one we all may have to reckon with one day, but having or not having permits isn't going to affect that much IMO... You're either an irresponsible A-hole who will release non-native species into the wild, or not. 😂 I could see people with and without permits releasing non-native species into the wild intentionally or unintentionally under certain circumstances, and so I see no reason for everyone to get permits for that particular set of concerns. And since our native isopods are SO obscure and their role in the ecosystem may even be being fulfilled as normal by the invasives, I don't see our government caring about them until it's far, far too late... It honestly already may be for some of them.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
See, I dunno about that. If you look at areas of the invertebrate hobby that are seeing more regulation/the potential for more regulation, such as with tarantulas, what is driving that is illegal shipments, not more people getting import/export licenses. That isn't the greatest example, but I think it applies in a sense to things like roaches and isopods.
Well illegal shipments are always gonna be a problem, whether people have permits to own said species or not... And those are typically dealt with quietly as they are caught, the main exceptions being when the species being smuggled in are threatened or endangered, (which was the case for Thailand Cubaris, and the reason the whole permit thing got started). Though, if say hundreds people are brownboxing, in any hobby, no matter the species that is going to get the USDA's attention, and unfortunately with the isopod hobby that could end up happening since it's so big... However, again, that's not a issue of people having permits to own these species or not, but rather an issue with people attempting to import species illegally, by the hundreds, and in that case if it really gets their attention I could see the USDA just putting a blanket ban on all exotic isopods period... But again, isopods are a low priority group, so I really don't see that happening anytime soon.

I've heard the policeman argument (if you constantly bother a policeman about crossing the road at a certain spot [more people getting permits], he's going to start watching you with greater scrutiny [greater regulation]), but if you think about it, is that how it always play out? After you've exasperated the policeman, is he going to want to have to deal with you more (more regulation), or is he going to tell you to knock it off and move away (deregulate)?

In short, I don't think getting more permits is going to lead to further regulation (especially not when APHIS is as tied up as it is, USFWS doesn't care, and the rest of the US government is busy elsewhere), otherwise I wouldn't have pursued permits myself.
I suppose it depends on the policeman... There's no guarantee either way, and seeing as they're not currently enforcing the keeping and interstate shipping of isopods, roaches, etc., at least on a personal level, I see no reason to get those permits, until it's absolutely necessary, (which I feel it will never be). Others are free to disagree though, that's perfectly fine, I guess we'll see how it all plays out. :)