OMG, the coolest thing ever

Rain_Flower

Arachnolord
Old Timer
So I went into the pet store today to buy some crickets, but stopped to look at the tarantulas of course.
The pet store guy came over and took one of the rosies out and just set it on me and let it crawl around, I didn't even ask to hold it. (that's not the cool part, it was cool, but not the coolest ever).
I was looking at the Avics, as I don't own any yet and want one soooo bad. He asked me if I wanted one (they were priced at $40!) I said yeah of course I do but I only have $13.
He just paused for a second, looked around and whispered "OK, I'll give it to you for 13, but I'm not allowed to... You see that girl over there? (he pointed at another store clerk) Shed kill me for doing this. Give me the $13 and here just stick it in your bag and leave, ok?"

He seriously just like opened my purse and stuck the cage and everything in there.

OK, this is where the question comes in. Avic avic, what's the coloring like on those vs Avic versi?

She's 1 1/2 or 2 in and has a pretty blue color. I'll put pics up soon, I just wanted to know if anyone could possibly tell me which one it is by the colorations.

Thaaaaaanks!
-Courtney

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow, you are very lucky! Congrats!! Great story too.

Is she a metallic blue, or a dull blackish blue with pinktoes?

Rain_Flower

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Thank you :)
And I just did a search and looked at some pics, she's an avic avic, but gorgeous.
Any advice on keeping/handling these?
I usually don't handle my T's, but if I can it makes cage transfers and cleaning alot easier.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thank you :)
And I just did a search and looked at some pics, she's an avic avic, but gorgeous.
Any advice on keeping/handling these?
I usually don't handle my T's, but if I can it makes cage transfers and cleaning alot easier.
Congrats none the less, Avicularia spp. are all gorgeous.

Well just keep them in a basic arboreal setup, keep it humid/full waterdish, make sure it has more then enough ventilation. Ventilation is a big problem with Avics, especially versicolor.

When you handle this species just make sure not to blow or make any sudden movements or they'll bolt and possibly jump like crazy.

Good luck and congrats on the new addition.

harrypei

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
sounds like a good deal but wat the...also sounds like some sales clerk behaving unethically...:embarrassed:

Rain_Flower

Arachnolord
Old Timer
sounds like a good deal but wat the...also sounds like some sales clerk behaving unethically...:embarrassed:
Yeah that's what I thought too, and I almost felt bad about taking it. But he's just a nice guy and always gives me deals whenever I visit. :)

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yeah that's what I thought too, and I almost felt bad about taking it. But he's just a nice guy and always gives me deals whenever I visit. :)
Until the day the clerk catches you and " nice guy " denies being involved. I'd hate to get a criminal record over something so small and shady...

Rain_Flower

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Until the day the clerk catches you and " nice guy " denies being involved. I'd hate to get a criminal record over something so small and shady...
He's allowed to give deals on most things, cause they overprice eeeveerything, the other lady just has a stick up her butt :wall:

But, whatev. I got an avic and cage for $13 {D

matthias

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok, I'm going to have to be a party pooper on this one. This just sounds fishy.
I know $40 for a 2" A. Avic is a grossly inflated price. But I've never had to smuggle something I've purchased out of a store. Unless that clerk was the owner of the store that just doesn't seem right.

I strongly suggest you contact the owners of that store and be honest and tell them what happened. If it was the owner of the store he could have just trying to be nice and move an animal that was not selling (because it was over priced). If it wasn't the owner, I doubt your $13 ever went to the store.

Rain_Flower

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I don't know if he was the owner or not, could have been, could not have been, but I trust him.

You guys are ruining my fun. :(

Sr. Chencho

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Lights, Action, Cameras!!

Don't forget about store cameras. Bet you won't see this guy around to give you anymore "discounts" next time you visit this store. If this guy doesn't have the power to give such discounts, the owner will smell a dirty rat sooner or later. I suggest you come forth and present the owner with the facts on what really happened. You surely are not to blame.
And congrats on your new addition.

Fred

matthias

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You guys are ruining my fun. :(
The hard and fast rule in life is if it seems too good to be true, it is.

$13 for the T and the Cage is probably their cost. (Not to mention that the $13 is now sitting in some kids pocket not the register.) If they sell everything at cost and can't afford to pay the rent, the store closes. Then you have to pay even more at the place down the street, because you don't have any one there "giving you deals" and they don't have any competition so the can raise their prices.

Yes I know $27 is not going to put a store out of business tomorrow, but you would be surprised at how fast that can add up.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
He just paused for a second, looked around and whispered "OK, I'll give it to you for 13, but I'm not allowed to... You see that girl over there? (he pointed at another store clerk) Shed kill me for doing this. Give me the $13 and here just stick it in your bag and leave, ok?"

He seriously just like opened my purse and stuck the cage and everything in there.-Courtney
Sorry to spoil your fun, but that whole statement sounds wrong. If you think about it, its like both of you was in on a robbery. "Looks around" and "Stick it in your bag and leave" are actions of deceit. I would be nervous about going back. Even though this "Guy" gives you deals often does not mean its ok for him to do so or that its also ok for a customer to accept.

but I'm not allowed to... You see that girl over there? (he pointed at another store clerk) Shed kill me for doing this.
This statement proves that the guy who said this (the same guy that gave you this deal) is not the owner of the store. If he were no one can "Kill him" for doing anything.
I'm sure everyone who agrees with me and who has responded already is just looking out for you. You might not think so cause you got a "Deal" but a tarantula is not worth the consequences it could bring forth by this transaction.
just my .02cents
Congrats anyway.

skooma_addict

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just because the lady in question doesn't want him to "give" it away at that price doesn't mean he didn't have the authority to do so. Maybe she thought it could sell and he didn't. Enjoy your new avic. avic. I have one to and they're sweet as can be.

But seriously though, you know you beat that store for $27 right? :embarrassed:
Hahaha

SugrSean

Arachnopeon
Congrats on the new addition. Don't listen to all the spoilers. You did nothing wrong, and have no responsibility to go back and talk to the owners and blah blah. My local pet store gives deals all the time, and the act secretive about it because it makes the customer feel good about the purchase. And we all come back! I doubt he did anything wrong, and even if he did, that doesn't make what you did wrong.

On a side note: I hate getting pooped on. I'll leave the avics for you guys;P

Rain_Flower

Arachnolord
Old Timer
skooma addict and sugrsean, thank you very much. I agree with both of you completely :D

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
:clap: good for you :clap: :clap: i think he likes you ;) :worship: :worship: and good luck to you its your pet now :clap: sod the shop or the take it back lot well done ;) ~~~~ PHIL

Rain_Flower

Arachnolord
Old Timer
:clap: good for you :clap: :clap: i think he likes you ;) :worship: :worship: and good luck to you its your pet now :clap: sod the shop or the take it back lot well done ;) ~~~~ PHIL
Yeah someone else said they think he likes me too, lol oh well cheap T's. :)

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow! What a deal!.... I'll bet yer purty and he's hopin, hoin', hopin'.... ;) However - I can just see the next Headlines out your town.."Tarantula Smugglers Steal Rare"...blah, blah, blah..... This "nice guy" just involved you in a crime - likely under a camera - under the guise of "doing you a favor". Will he do you the favor of paying for your lawyer when the store owner catches on and prosecutes the both of you? I sure wouldn't wish that on you; you obviously didn't purposely steal. But I'm positive the store owner wouldn't see it that way.....:( I'd take the AB board members' advice and steer clear of that store from now on. Don't push your luck, hon. A theft on your record isn't worth it; and it would appear as a "charge", even if you weren't found guilty! He just made you an unwitting "accomplice", dear.. I'd name the new T. "Bugsy", if I were you...:eek:

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow! What a deal!.... I'll bet yer purty and he's hopin, hoin', hopin'.... ;) However - I can just see the next Headlines out your town.."Tarantula Smugglers Steal Rare"...blah, blah, blah..... This "nice guy" just involved you in a crime - likely under a camera - under the guise of "doing you a favor". Will he do you the favor of paying for your lawyer when the store owner catches on and prosecutes the both of you? I sure wouldn't wish that on you; you obviously didn't purposely steal. But I'm positive the store owner wouldn't see it that way.....:( I'd take the AB board members' advice and steer clear of that store from now on. Don't push your luck, hon. A theft on your record isn't worth it; and it would appear as a "charge", even if you weren't found guilty! He just made you an unwitting "accomplice", dear.. I'd name the new T. "Bugsy", if I were you...:eek:
lol hows that thieving :? the girl paid money for it and the guy did it she did not ask him to ? and i do not think the owner looks at the camera 24/7 -- ~~~~ PHIL