OMG lots of..Honestly I dont know

scar is my t

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So my Avic Avic's cage has smelled a bit off for a while. I just think its small bits of crickets that I dont see. I just picked up the cage and on the bottom it was covered with a yellow/tan substance with dark spots. i have no clue what it is and I Ill try to get pics as soon as I can.

---------- Post added at 09:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 AM ----------

http://img683.imageshack.us/i/1000415v.jpg/

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Looks like an emptied lasagna dish to me:}

Pending a better picture, I think it's safe to say you'd best clean it out if it smells.

HotPocket

Arachnopeon
could be bacterial if it smells really rank. I would suggest cleaning it outside. Because no matter what it is i am sure you don't want to spread spores or anything all over your house.

webbedone

Arachnobaron
Something of the most foul evil varaiety took place at the bottom of that enclosure! I recomend soaking it a few times with some dish detergent and a few rinses combined with a substrate change should clease the humble abode from wickedness that posses it

Obijuan56

Arachnosquire
That looks gross, I would seriously do like an epic clean on the enclosure and change the substrate out, and watch out for left over crickets and poop, clean it out all the time

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Definitely clean it. Preferably outside wearing a mask and gloves. Trash anything that was in the enclosure, except the spider... Do you have another enclosure the T could stay in for awhile? Like a week or so, to allow that one to dry thoroughly after a good cleaning.

When you set it back up, might want to increase ventilation if you can do so without compromising humidity. Though I believe I've read that Avics don't require quite the degree of humidity that most people keep them at. But, confirm that with those who are experienced at keeping Avics. (Not me...) Isopods might be beneficial to clean up any leftovers the spider leaves after a meal.

What kind of substrate are you using?

scar is my t

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I use just standard dirt from home improvement stores. Of course without chemicals.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This would be a case where I would clean the enclosure. Hot hot water and a mild dish soap. But rinse rinse rinse and then rinse some more and get all of traces of the soap out. Then start with new substrate and work on better cage maintenance. Maybe setting it up so you can see the entire ground by using a fake plant would work, but if you are growing stuff like that; there is something wrong with the husbandry IMO. Whatever that is, it doesn't belong in a tarantula enclosure.