OK this is rediculous

NixHexDude

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My OBT used to flee the very sound of my voice in the very recent past. That being said, she has now taken to standing her ground and giving me threat postures and striking at the air instead. This started when I rehoused her with substantially more substrate. For a while she just hugged the corners of the enclosure, probably because the substrate took some time to dry.

Much to my delight, she began to make some very cool webbing. Eventually, she covered most of the cage. This is when things stopped being cool. She started webbing the top of the enclosure, a screen lid. Now every time I move it she runs to her burrow, and shortly after she starts striking and giving threat postures and slowly advances toward the opening. Fortunately, I've had spiders long enough this type of behavior from an animal measuring
5" just makes me laugh, but it is making feeding difficult.

Is there a way I can cut the webbing without getting fangs lodged in my hand? I would've taken these pictures without the lid, but it's kind of stuck to the cage at this point, and I'm kind of afraid I'll take 2/3 of the webbing with it if I do.

I can't remember where I read this, but I know that sometimes when spiders are given a smaller space (which I unintentionally did when I filled half the enclosure with substrate) that they'll treat the entire enclosure as a burrow. This explains the behavior, but I'm now wondering if I should rehouse her in a relatively short time to rectify the problem. The last time put a lot of stress on her; I'm thinking maybe 6 months from now?

NixHexDude

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Almost forgot to mention: this time instead of dumping dirt in the water dish, it's been webbed over and saved as a decoration or some type of doormat. :rolleyes:

PS I'll be out of town until Sunday, so when I don't respond to the posts on this thread; be patient. Thanks in advance guys.

Tapahtyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That is fabulous and unbelievable webbing. My little guy hides a lot in the dirt but I can't wait until they can do THAT!!!

Yanose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not to be snipy but I was advised agains using screen tops as there is a chance that the T will try to climb on it and consequently lose the parts of their feet that they use to climb. Also as far as I understand this behavior may not be stopable as OBT have a rep for being rather defensive and now it views you a invading its teritory.

Strawberry

Arachnopeon
You cannot cut webbing very easy. Really the easiest way to get rid of it is to burn it. Granted its not going to be safe with the animal in the cage.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
You will either have to move the webbing, or stop feeding her altogether! I've found with this species, if you ruin the webbing enough times opening the enclosure, they will move the opening elsewhere.

When you open the enclosure, put something over the opening so she can't escape. Remove the webbing from around the lid. Don't worry about stressing her, this is an extremely hardy species, and webbing is just what they do. In the wild, their carefully made homes probably don't last nearly as long as they do in captivity.

Best of luck and keep your guard up. She sounds like an individual I have, she will not hesitate to run up a set of tongs and nip you, mine did!!

Cocoa-Jin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My OBT used to flee the very sound of my voice in the very recent past. That being said, she has now taken to standing her ground and giving me threat postures and striking at the air instead. This started when I rehoused her with substantially more substrate. For a while she just hugged the corners of the enclosure, probably because the substrate took some time to dry.

Much to my delight, she began to make some very cool webbing. Eventually, she covered most of the cage. This is when things stopped being cool. She started webbing the top of the enclosure, a screen lid. Now every time I move it she runs to her burrow, and shortly after she starts striking and giving threat postures and slowly advances toward the opening. Fortunately, I've had spiders long enough this type of behavior from an animal measuring
5" just makes me laugh, but it is making feeding difficult.

Is there a way I can cut the webbing without getting fangs lodged in my hand? I would've taken these pictures without the lid, but it's kind of stuck to the cage at this point, and I'm kind of afraid I'll take 2/3 of the webbing with it if I do.

I can't remember where I read this, but I know that sometimes when spiders are given a smaller space (which I unintentionally did when I filled half the enclosure with substrate) that they'll treat the entire enclosure as a burrow. This explains the behavior, but I'm now wondering if I should rehouse her in a relatively short time to rectify the problem. The last time put a lot of stress on her; I'm thinking maybe 6 months from now?
Gosh she is pretty! :clap: ...I said I wouldnt want another T after I got a P. Metallica...but man those OBTs are gorgeous:drool: ...maybe my wife will let me get one if I promise not to get another T after that.:?

...naw!{D

:embarrassed:

NixHexDude

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the help guys. I think I'll try blocking the hole and cutting some of the webbing. I've never had problems with my screen lids. Most of my T's don't use them for climbing after they've settled in.

Some of you implied that you use tongs for this. I have a long set of forceps, but there's a lot of webbing stuck to the lid, and I'm not sure I'll be able to remove it with the tongs.