Ok....so I'm scared of spiders...

bowyorang

Arachnopeon
That doesn't mean I can't have one, does it???
I'm not terrified, I guess just nervous.... I've never held one. They do interest me a lot. They are very cool looking.
I'm not totally new to keeping pets. I've had several reptiles over the years. A bearded dragon for the last 9yrs, a veiled chameleon, couple corn snakes, and the usual dogs and cats. The corns I got because I was really nervous of snakes. I do like my corns. I've had them a couple years now. Not nervous with them anymore, just cautious. :biggrin:
So, I thought about getting one of the Mexican Redknee T's. The pet store I get my mice from has one right now that I may be able to get for a descent price. Also, I have thought about the Brazilian Black. Or maybe both..... I can't decide.
Thoughts?

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm not terrified, I guess just nervous.... I've never held one. They do interest me a lot. They are very cool looking.
I'm not totally new to keeping pets. I've had several reptiles over the years. A bearded dragon for the last 9yrs, a veiled chameleon, couple corn snakes, and the usual dogs and cats. The corns I got because I was really nervous of snakes. I do like my corns. I've had them a couple years now. Not nervous with them anymore, just cautious. :biggrin:
So, I thought about getting one of the Mexican Redknee T's. The pet store I get my mice from has one right now that I may be able to get for a descent price. Also, I have thought about the Brazilian Black. Or maybe both..... I can't decide.
Thoughts?
Honestly for a first spider i highly recommend a jumping spider. You can find them anywhere. Easy to care for. Very interesting to watch. Great hunters, i had one that would take down prey twice it's size. plus they are more active than most tarantulas. Plus if you change your mind you can always release it.
That being said, if you're set on a tarantula you can't go wrong with an A. avic (Common Pink-toe).

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
I got over my (horrible) fear of spiders by getting a tarantula. My first was a G. pulchripes (I still have her, shes a mature female now, and will always be my favorite). Of the two you listed I would go with the G. pulchra (Brazilian Black) as a first, only because the B. smithi (red knee) can be bad for kicking hairs. Both species are easy to keep, I see no reason why you couldn't keep one, and I guarantee you will be addicted before you know it.

LV-426

Arachnobaron
If you want them I would suggest to give them proper housing and do not bother them, in turn the will not do anything to you. They may move quick if startled or pounce on food. I think the two species you are looking at are fine beginner species.

8legs2fangs

Arachnopeon
well you see, theraphosa blondi, poecilotheria ornata, Pterinochilus murinus, haplopelma lividum, and Pelinobius muticus are all great starter species! they wont bite, run from you, flick hairs, and will wanna snuggle behind your ears:) you can put your t. blondi on a leash and take it to the tarantula park to play with other large tarantulas too!
JK bad idea for all those;] my first was a mexican red knee but it flicked hairs like it was puttin confetti over a rave party. my new A. Avic is extremely tolerant of me and is just all around great! so i recomend taking the time to find one or order from online! i reccomend Paul b. at petcenterUSA.com. happy hunting!

bowyorang

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the quick replies! Jumping spiders? Hmmmm....first thing that comes to mind is me opening the container to feed it and it jumps on my face! LOL!
So, you say the B. Smithi sometimes with throw the urticating hairs? Do the G. pulchra's have them as well? I don't figure I will handle them much to tell the truth. Although the thought of being able watch it while it crawls on my arm is exhilarating, I most likely will just watch from behind the plexi! :)
I thought about the A. avic as well since the lps has one also, but honestly I just really like the looks of the others more. Totally just physical attraction. I'm only human... ;) I see where a lot of people have suggested them though because they seem to be more active and have more personality for what some have said. I'll keep an open mind about them.
I've been thinking about getting one for several weeks now, so this isn't a instant gratification thing. I definitely want to do this right if I do get one, just haven't decided for sure which road to take. I know the more I read about them, the care they take, the enjoyment, and potential problems that may incur, it could lead to a spiderweb of options and alternatives.

8legs2fangs

Arachnopeon
well, like i said t. blondi is a great species... well if you like giant fangs, lotta hairs, deffensive. you know, the whole nine yards! haha no definitively look into an avic for sure. love mine a bunch. plus they make webs so you can watch that. one of my favorite things it does:)

ziggy

Arachnopeon
Honestly for a first spider i highly recommend a jumping spider. You can find them anywhere. Easy to care for. Very interesting to watch. Great hunters, i had one that would take down prey twice it's size. plus they are more active than most tarantulas. Plus if you change your mind you can always release it.
That being said, if you're set on a tarantula you can't go wrong with an A. avic (Common Pink-toe).
I am looking for one of these but they are not easy to find here in the UK :)

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
Last edited:

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
So, you say the B. Smithi sometimes with throw the urticating hairs? Do the G. pulchra's have them as well? .
Yes, G. pulchra have urticating hairs (almost all New World species have them) however, from my experience are much less inclined to use them then B. smithi. B. smithi would still be a fine choice, just something to consider when thinking about what you want in a tarantula.

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
You'll be amazed how quickly your arachnophobia turns into arachno-enthuthiasm. So no, you cant have just one;)

The Brazilian Black (G. pulchra) is one of my fav's in the hobby, and you cant go wrong with it as a first. If your looking for suggestions I offer the Green Bottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens): Beautiful colours, easy to care for, low maintenance, and just all around great.

Lenxx

Arachnopeon
I had a bad phobiea of spiders... and thats why i got my first. I hate beeing afraid of anything :)
That said, i have yet to hold her, as she is a bit on the skittish side and kicks hair like a pro. Shes a Brachypelma albiceps, and even if i dont handle her, its safe to say im rid of my fair of spiders now!
I love looking at her, she is so intresting in all aspect :p Feeding her gives me a rush, looking at her wandering around in the evening makes me smile and when she waves her butt making web, it makes me giggle.
Shes still just a juvie, and surprisingly active for a tarantula, but i guess she will stop exersising when she gets older. *lol*
Well, my point is that you can get a "pet-spider" enev if youre scared to death about them. Simply becourse they do not need you to handle them, and you can get used to them in youre own speed :) Win win for both you and the spider!

The ones you have listed are good beginners, as long as you are ok with the hairs. Some are worse that others, and some dont kick even if you prod them. My girl seems to get a bit more on the calm side now, then she was when i got her. I can do cleaning in her cage noe, as long as i dont bother her or get too close. In the beginning, she would kick when someone passed her cage a little too close in her opinion XD
The Avics are also great starters, and though you dont like the look of one, you should still take a look at the rest in the species, as there are many different and gorgeous looking spiders there :)

Good luck in picking your favourite tarantula, and welcome into the hobby!

The Weed Man

Arachnopeon
I would go to the petstore and see which ones are docile. My LPS lables the agressive ones to the docile ones, not by what people say the temperment is but they actually interact with the individual specimens. I got my most docile T for a petstore and my most agressive T from there also. Although my most docile T is unidentified she is still among my favorite T not for looks because that would go to my Brachypelma baumgarteni (Mexican Orange Beauty) but for personality, way more docile then a B. Smithi, (Mexican Red Knee) she never kicked hairs or showed any signs of defense or agression in my possesion and I've had her for half a year now. Just remember petsore's Ts are mostly going to be WC (Wild Caught) which is not a completely bad thing but they have no info on the T like Sex, Age, Molt history, etc. Petstores also are known for mislabling their Ts so thats something to look out for. I would just go with species that are mostly docile like Brachypelma or Grammostola because your Petstore my not interact with the individual specimens. If your allergic to bee stings do not handle Ts. Overall it's your choice I have no control over which one you get but just start of with docile individuals or a known to be docile tarantula.

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
I had a fear of HANDLING spiders, not necessarily of spiders. I am over that fear for the most part after my Versicolor sling decided to run onto my hand. xD It actually calmed down after it went onto my hand, it was having a bad day. haha

If you don't mind having some hairs kicked at you, i'd say B. Smithi for sure because they are just so pretty! I love them. I don't know much about the other one, though I did want to get one at one point because of how it looked.

I think either one you'd be happy with. Just do your research on them. =)

TweedMcQueen

Arachnopeon
I was in a similar boat when I got my first T. I wasn't so much arachnophobic as I just didn't trust spiders. But I had the lady at an lps put a G. rosea on me so I could get over my mistrust and it was a neat, if nervous at first, experience. After I a couple times of that I ended up taking her home. That was a couple months ago, now I have 5 tarantulas! I say go for it, face the fear. You don't have to hold it or anything, just observing these magnificent creatures will give you a whole new perspective on them.

As far as what kind to get, I say just flip a coin or roll a die between your choices. Not because I am downplaying the importance of getting what you want, but because I guaruntee you will own both within a month or two!