OH NOO..my p. metalica!!

forrestpengra

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ts are opportunistic feeders. You should be able to make the switch. Keep her hydrated and out wait her. She's not going to 'kill herself' just because she can't get lizards.

fangsalot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well,just in case im gonna get her abdomen to look a little healthier before weaning her off..just to be on the safe side.thanks fellas.

ksac3

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A singapore blue arrived with 2 legs crushed in that same location it regenerated in 2 molt cycles.

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
loos like she stuck her legs through a screen or a hole and rubbed the hairs off..

Fingolfin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
you may wish to ask your buddy if she tried to escape when he opened the enclosures at any stage?

I've seen those injuries at my LPS all to often and it's getting the toes caught in a lid being put on while the T is try to get out

just a potential
A late reply to the original post, but thats what I thought too when I saw it, not a bite/chew...

fangsalot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ive never witnessed her poke her legs through anywhere in her exo-terra enclosure but its a possibility.my friend was probably messing with her and she almost escaped and he slammed the front closing doors on her.he does denies it though,but you never know.shes not much of a "telaporter" she doesnt really dart off but he mightve really been pissing her off.as long as her legs get fixed i dont really care what happened,damage is done.im more worried about her finicky eating habits but hopefully that gets corrected with time with no ill effects.

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Most Ts come around with their eating habits, I hope she does for you:D

BatGirl

MAJOR
Old Timer
Leg damage and food sources

I bought one tarantula with three legs missing (pet shop idiots slamming the door on her - she WAS a Burmese cobalt blue though and they were totally scared of her due to her aggressiveness... got a great price on her, heh, heh, though I did have to be the one to get her out of their container - cowards!) which she re-grew completely after her first molt with me. As far as those distorted leg segments on your tarantula, looks like a good bite or two damaged them - get your tarantula OFF THE LIZARDS A.S.A.P !!!

Greg.Smith

Arachnopeon
It should be fine after the next molt. For example, I bought a T. Blondie from a bad owner who dropped her once and really damaged her back legs and after 2 molts her legs are completely back to normal and she is walking fine. No need to worry about it too much your baby will be fine in just a bit. Just make sure you give her plenty of protein rich food I.E. gut-loaded crickets of course and roaches if you can buy some. the more protein she has in her system the more she will regrow after each molt. Furthermore, never ever feed wild anoles to your T. again they are just filled with calcium which will destroy your tarantula's exoskeleton. Not only are they filled with calcium, but those wild ones could have been poisoned, have parasites (which isn't uncommon among reptiles), and even carry disease, so consider yourself lucky that you wound up with a leg problem and not a dead tarantula.

P.S. I am very jealous of your P.metallica... :c

Draychen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It should be fine after the next molt. For example, I bought a T. Blondie from a bad owner who dropped her once and really damaged her back legs and after 2 molts her legs are completely back to normal and she is walking fine. No need to worry about it too much your baby will be fine in just a bit. Just make sure you give her plenty of protein rich food I.E. gut-loaded crickets of course and roaches if you can buy some. the more protein she has in her system the more she will regrow after each molt. Furthermore, never ever feed wild anoles to your T. again they are just filled with calcium which will destroy your tarantula's exoskeleton. Not only are they filled with calcium, but those wild ones could have been poisoned, have parasites (which isn't uncommon among reptiles), and even carry disease, so consider yourself lucky that you wound up with a leg problem and not a dead tarantula.

P.S. I am very jealous of your P.metallica... :c
+1
Calcium rich food will make her next moult an absolute disaster especially with an injury. The calcium makes it MUCH tougher for them durring the moulting process, as does an injury. If you continue feeding her the anoles, you're just going escilate the problem.

fangsalot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
trust me,,i dont want her just to want lizards.thats all this (female dog) wants:wall:

robd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Stay strong dude. She'll take roaches or crickets eventually.

robd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree and when this happens I'd love to see new pictures of it.

fangsalot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
doesn't everyone love an occasional tangent :D

I hope the metallica makes up it's mind that roaches are the way forward :D and moults out some shiny new front feet
thanks everyone for rooting for my baby and no question ill take pics of after her molt.for the thread hijackers,,kidding,,,its all good....thengs happen.its whatever.i was just worried about the thread being locked,thats all.;)

robd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Good, I look forward to it :D

Where'd you get your P metallica, by the way? They're so few and far between I was just wondering how you came across yours.

fangsalot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
3 years ago at a reptile show here in florida from todd gearhart :)

robd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ahh cool, I've bought from him before. Was it a 1" sling or something like that at the time of purchase?

Also... this info may be available somewhere back in this thread but I'ma ask you anyway, how big is she today?

fangsalot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
she was waay smaller than 1". ima guess she has a 4"-5" leg span now.never seen her "poce out" so im not 100% on that.