Oh god oh god somebody help!

Bassy

Arachnopeon
I HAVE ANTS!!! THEY ARE STARTING TO GET IN MY T's TANKS WHAT DO I DO D:!? im super afrade my A.purpurla is gonna be the main target because of how little it is D: already found 2 ants in the tank this morning...they are in my scorpion's tank as well..is there anything i can do to keep them away or out!? i dont want to use pesticides either because im afrade if the T gets it on em...

seacowst

Arachnosquire
move the ts and clean and junk the substarte quick also find the ants way of coming in too

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Find where the ants are coming in, put down borax powder. It's about as neutral and safe as you can have. Break the ant trail by cleaning the shelves with a soapy rag. Put out a dish of water AWAY from the Ts and near the entrance to the trail to draw them away from the Ts. Enclosed ant baits can also be used, if you don't put them too near your Ts.

Good luck!

Marga

cerialkiller

Arachnosquire
Just a thought wrap some doubble stick tape around the bottom of the tank
Till you can stop them permanitly

Last edited:

pocock1899

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A thorough cleaning and disinfection of the area where you keep the tanks will erase any scent trails leading to your spiders.

Then, sometimes a line of vaseline around the bottom of the tank will discourage ants from climbing, or sticky tape like the previous poster stated.

In any event, the long term solution is that you need to treat the problem (ants in your house), anything else is a short term fix, ...and eventually the ants will figure out a way to get in.

Bassy

Arachnopeon
Update on the ants

okay so i moved the tanks, scrubed them down, spreyed a pinsol and water solution *1/16 pinesol and rthe rest water* to kill the ants and trail...they are still comeing in the house but the T's seem to be left unbothered...untill i found my rosie's tank covered in them! she hid her leftovers and i didnt see them and ants were everywhere! poor girl i dont blame her for trying to bite me when i moved her out of it...but shes fine in a nice clean tank....they only seem to bother her, my a.purpurela and my firebellied toad(who seems to enjoy them entering because i see him eating them) so i still dont know what to do other then the ducktape and vasilene method..

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
Next time you find the line of ants follow it outside to see how they are getting in. Continue following their path for as long as possible. As close to the colony as possible drop some of that ant queen killer powder, and I use windex all around the areas of the house they are getting in. Even applying it in an exaggerated U shape works sometimes. It takes a while for it to completely evaporate (not sure thats the right word), and it remvoes the ants trail.

Go back twice a day and re-apply windex until the ants are gone. Ive done this for one huge infestation and after 3 days I saw no more ants.

Jared781

Arachnobaron
My strategy for ants is mix the liquid pesticide stuff with uice and spill a bit in front of their entrance! and in my opinion its alright because then they're going to the quick source instead of spreading around your house :/

Bassy

Arachnopeon
now they are in my emp's cage!! now what do i do!? i dont have any substrate left or any money to get more! they wopnt eat her will they!?

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, they could eat her. The way I delt with my ant problem...I took a bowl and made sugar water. Sat the bowl on the floor in my old T room and the ants would get trapped in the water. Never had an issue with them getting in my critters enclosure after that. Though, I did have to empty an ant filled bowl of water every so often.

Porp

Arachnosquire
When I start seeing them outside I use this stuff called Amdro Ant Block, the stuff is magical. I have found NOTHING that works as well as it does. I used to have multiple ant piles in my yard in the warmer months, using this stuff, I saw 0 ants after application. It's granular, and only needs to be used outside.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Ater you get her out of there and away from the ants, get some kind of light table you can put all your inverts on, and go to the dollar store and get some aluminum pie plates, or something similar.
Fill pie plates with water, and put one under each of the table's legs, making sure you don't punctiure the pie plates, and making sure the table doesn't come in contact with any walls or anything else the ants can use to get on there. Keep your inverts on the table until you can sort out your ant problems.

pocock1899

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you start using insecticides, you need to make sure your fire bellied toad is no longer an ant consumer. You might also consider sealing your spiders away from exposure. If you are having no luck with the vaseline or sticky tape, another (short term) way is to use cling wrap and rubber bands or tape under lids (or over if you have a climber) until you are done with the applications and you're sure no exposed ants are getting in or around your enclosures.