Oh crap, that's an eggsac!!

jbalboa1981

Arachnopeon
While going to the pet shop with my 10 year old daughter, to get crickets for our other T's. She saw a G. rosea in a cage. Of course, the daddy PLEASE get me that spider, worked. I got it for her, as her first spider, to take care of with my help. Well, that was about a month and a half ago. Long story short, it laid a sac. I'm a little freaked out at the moment, I know it must have been wild caught, and have bred. My question is, if the sac is fertile, what in the world am I to do with all those babies, that my daughter, INSISTS I have to try and hatch. I know how to make an incubator, and all that jazz.

Amoeba

Arachnolord
A) Hatch out the sack and take care of all those little buggers. Sell them.

B) Hatch them and give them out for the cost of shipping.

C) Freeze the sac and tell your daughter they didn't make it.

The first two are a bit of work. The third you have to lie to your daughter.

jbalboa1981

Arachnopeon
If I can raise the little guys, I will just give them away more than likely. I was under the impression that it is hard to sell G. rosea slings, because most would rather buy an adult for about $15 then raise a sling for 6 or 7 years.

Amoeba

Arachnolord
just release them in kentucky and start a new american species
Well this is a terrible idea.

It's not people WON'T buy them it's you'll be playing mother hen for a bit while you get rid of them. If they were RCF rosea you could probably put a good price on them and wouldn't have time to name them. There is no real demand for rosea besides all those hippies with their "Buy CB man it's like saving the whales!" (poking fun, I'm all for buying CB) it's just the market is seemingly flooded with WC. Hypothetically in the unforeseeable future G rosea will go the way of the Brachypelma and become illegal to import WC. This will cause the price of them to spike, but alas then is then and now is now.

jbalboa1981

Arachnopeon
I would never just release them outside, lol. I guess I'm just gonna try to hatch them, then give them to anybody that wants one.

jbalboa1981

Arachnopeon
How long will she stay by the sac? She hasn't moved from it in 5 days. She has herself webbed in her hide. I know eventually she is going to have to come out and eat, right? I'm gonna feel bad when I have to take it from her.

0siris

Arachnosquire
Another option is to let all of the slings live together in the same tub. Eventually they will cannibalize each other and you can pick out however many you need.

Caring for hundreds of slings is a chore, and that's putting it lightly. Even selling or giving them away requires that you pack each sling separately and ship to however many people decide they want one.

Think long and hard about what you want to do. In any case, you will assuredly find all the support and help to get you through the egg-sac experience right here on these forums.

:biggrin:

Josh Perry

Arachnosquire
You could also try donating them to schools.
you could donate them to me too =) and btw give a few to you daughter so she can raise them and several years from now you two can look back on the G. rosea story and you can see how much the babies have grown

synyster

Arachnobaron
She will stay with the sac as long as she need's to. She most likely won't eat during that time. Pull the sac at 35 days and incubate the (they should be) post-embryo's. You will notice if the sac is infertile, since the eggs will look small and un-hatched. Good luck!

LonelyZoner

Arachnopeon
If you're willing to ship them, I'd love to have one! I'll most certainly pay for shipping and the spider itself if you want to put a price on them. =)

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congrats. :)

I'd sell them and maybe keep a few. I also loved the donating to schools idea. You can try to sell in bulk to someone who can sell and ship them in smaller amounts. If you have decided to hatch it, hope you keep the daughter included. This will be a fun, educational project for her to learn about life beginnings and development. ;-)

Necromion

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You could also maybe work out a trade deal with one of the dealers on the boards and get something new and different out of it

Grin

Arachnoknight
I have been hearing alot of stories like this and it's kind of sad.

My first tarantula was a G. rosea i came across in Petco, the living conditions were horrible and you could tell it was not doing well by all the hair loss.
Lived about 2 1/2 years with me and finally passed. He's the reason i'm into this hobby.

Anyways, if you get overwhelmed by them best thing to do is sell/give away in bulks. You could email some of the well known breeders.
I'd be more then happy to take 10-20 of them for you and i'll pay shipping costs.

But i'm sure it wont be a huge deal for you, when it does come time to sell them just post in the for sale/trade.

synyster

Arachnobaron
It could also be a phantom sac. You never know when it comes to WC specimens.