Odorless Breeding of Crickets

JeromeTabuzo

Arachnobaron
pinheads goes to my jumping spiders , and male adults will be fed to my fire belly toads , and the females are kept to breed. Extras are gonna be sold.
ive been feeding my crickets dog food , fish food , potatoes.
i mean male adult crickets will be fed , and female adult crickets are kept to breed , and extra crickets will be sold.

Last edited:

dementedlullaby

Arachnobaron
I read that black field crickets are quite a bit more vicious compared to A. domesticus. Especially males can give a nasty bite I hear. Personally I hate A. domesticus. They are horrid creatures and beat on each other regardless of space.

I've taken to feeding my animals the new banded crickets that seem to be readily available here. Gryllodes sigillatus is their scientific name. They seem much more hardy (as long as you don't keep them in the cold), don't beat on each other and breed like mad. I keep having to move my little soil cups out so the males don't eat the eggs. I'll have hundreds of pinheads in a couple weeks when they hatch...Oh god! lol The only downside is these suckers can jump. If you thought A. domesticus were jumpy buggers...Yeah, you ain't seen nuttin' yet! My beardie refuses to even eat them unless I tong feed him. They're wayyyy fast. Shouldn't be a problem for an invert though.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The field crickets will bite if you give the a chance, more a surprise than it hurts. I've fed literally 1000's of them to Ts, pedes and scorpions with bites never causing damage I could see. With scorpions, if the jaws give them extra problems they give the crickets another sting and wait.

JeromeTabuzo

Arachnobaron
i got bitten once by it. @Galapoheros can you help me on my centipede thread? its on the myriapods section thnx

Akai

Arachnobaron
For me crickets are easier to breed , they mature faster and give birth faster. I breed my crickets to feed my jumping spiders. I also own roaches , but it takes so long to give birth.
Have you tried Blatta Lateralis? Small enough for jumping spiders and they are prolific breeders.

JeromeTabuzo

Arachnobaron
I prefer crickets 2 weeks you have many pinheads! B.lats egg case hatch within months

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added 07-29-2014 at 04:59 AM ----------

Anyway i hav b.latss here too but i feed them to my scorpions

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Akai

Arachnobaron
Just noticed you're in the Philippines. There's a couple of tarantulas native to your country that I am looking into. :alien:

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
one thing I noticed when I used to catch wild field crickets is that they chirp at a much younger age. The tiny ones have a very soft chirp to them and when you have a few hundred of them in a tub it sounds like a continuous very faint trilling sound. Its kind of calming in a way. Not at all like the incessant chirping of that one single male that gets loose and somehow finds its way into the back corner of your bedroom closet.

I've always avoided the adults because I have heard hey were more agressive but I may look into them. Since you have the dirt in there have you considered adding a colony of isopods to help with the detritus Breeding the A domsticus is very easy but as the OP pointed out there can be a smell issue and my biggest problem was getting the thousands of pinheads to survive to a size where anything I had could eat them.

I love the hardiness of the banded crickets and the fact that their chirp is quieter (if I recall correctly from the few times I had them) but they don't get nearly as big so that is a drawback when you have big predators. I never tried to breed them but I may give it a go. Living in an apartment with neighbors who look for things to complain about makes things more difficult however.

I wish I had access to a heated garage or something, I think I would try breeding just about any type of feeder invert I could think of. In some ways it is almost as satisfying as breeding the pets we keep.