odd sunburst behavior

Alejandro45

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ive been keeping my sunburst baboon Tarantula for about three weeks and he has been living in his burrow until now, he decided to move into the top corner of his cage. Im just wondering if there is any reason for this move?:confused:

I think the humidity is a little high:wall:

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My guess would be that the substrate is too wet for it's liking as many terrestrials/burrowers will climb the walls if the ground is too wet for their liking.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well in a way they are semi-arboreal....But make sure the substrate is DRY. They do NOT like humidity.That said,mine will do the same thing even though they are completly dry...

Alejandro45

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thanks for the fast replies guys:worship:

I am going to get to work on it now:cool:

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How humid do you have it? How long has it burrowed in the substrate at that humidity?

I've kept plenty Pterino's that have done the same, deciding that want to live off the substrate. As far as moisture, obviously you don't want it tropical in there. Still, they do gain a little humidity living in burrows, even in very dry climates. <-- This was always my understanding of it anyway.

Best of luck and take care.

Abby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Is it a sling? what size is it?
Don't keep him too dry is it's a sling, as they need some humidity when they are babies. :)

Alejandro45

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I had the humidity around 75-80%. hes been in his burrow for three weeks at that humidity:eek:...

but I am makeing him a much less humid enviroment

Have you ever heard about the study of micro habitats? I own a dune gecko and the trick to keeping them is understanding that even through they live in dry parched deserts one must understand the micro habitat of the dune gecko, it is not able to survive the dry hot air of the desert but its micro habitat that is burrows and underneath rocks is much cooler and more humid. In the micro habitat is the key:)

oh and hes just under 5 cm

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had the humidity around 75-80%. hes been in his burrow for three weeks at that humidity:eek:...

but I am makeing him a much less humid enviroment

Have you ever heard about the study of micro habitats? I own a dune gecko and the trick to keeping them is understanding that even through they live in dry parched deserts one must understand the micro habitat of the dune gecko, it is not able to survive the dry hot air of the desert but its micro habitat that is burrows and underneath rocks is much cooler and more humid. In the micro habitat is the key:)

oh and hes just under 5 cm
Depending on how humid or dry it is where you live, you could also just allow it to dry up a bit, without completely relocating it. Might be easier on the T, considering the circumstances. Once the substrate dries up, it'll move back into its burrow if it's so inclined. Just a thought. :)

Take care.

LisaD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Even in a small enclosure, you can set up a humidity gradient. Try putting an only slightly damp piece of paper towel on top of the substrate, loosely. This will allow the spider to hold onto something besides the plastic, it can burrow into whatever part of the towel feels right. I'm not saying this is the best solution, but it could make things more comfortable in the short term, with less stress to the spider.

arachnoobie

Arachnopeon
i have 2 OBt slings and one of them climbs to the top corner and makes a hammock to molt in before he molts.. could b the case