odd? for a boehmei?

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
I just picked up a 3.5-4 inch b boehmei and other than the little bit of walking around he did when I first put him in his new home 5 gal terr. , he has been stuck on the side of the tank up near the top for the better part of last night and all day today. Is this odd for a boehmei? I felt sorry for him ... the place I got him from had him in a 4" by 4" cube with a broken branch shoved in and no water dish. He was a little more than I wanted to pay but he is a beautiful T. I dont know much about Brachs so wanted to get an opinion or two...Thanks

Last edited:

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
my boehmei was up in the top corners of its enclosure for about a week after i got it, even with better housing than it was in. i think in my case giving it a nice little hide to sit on top of helped. its still always out, but isn't clinging to the walls anymore.

can we have a picture of the entire enclosure? it could be that it doesn't like the sub, or could be that it is just not being acclimated yet.

Xian

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not uncommon at all. Not to worry. Your Brachypelma boehmei is just going to take a little time to get used to it's new digs.:)

jcrow209

Arachnopeon
Is subsrate moist???

My B. boehmei hates it moist, and will climb the walls if I put moist coconut fiber. So I use the big bag of already dry stuff.Just maintain a full/clean water dish. Also, I put mine in a 5.5 gal terrarium too, and that seemed to stress him(climbing on lid and roaming all over). I got him a kritter keeper about a third the size and he webbed and molted within a week.Plus its easier for him to catch crickets/roaches.Just my experience.Best of luck to you!!!

Wlapkiewicz

Arachnopeon
That is a really nice terrarium. I'm sure your B. boehmei will fell like at home in no time. I would keep one of the corners of its new home a little bit more wet.

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
I dried it out and tamped it down {same set up I did for my g. rosea} I was on the floor of the tank for a couple of hours then climbed up the wall and has been there ever since... lol thought it was kinda funny...

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My B. boehmei hates it moist, and will climb the walls if I put moist coconut fiber. So I use the big bag of already dry stuff.Just maintain a full/clean water dish. Also, I put mine in a 5.5 gal terrarium too, and that seemed to stress him(climbing on lid and roaming all over). I got him a kritter keeper about a third the size and he webbed and molted within a week.Plus its easier for him to catch crickets/roaches.Just my experience.Best of luck to you!!!
THIS. i originally gave mine a 2.5 and it went nutso. moved it back to a small KK and it was on the walls for a few days then totally chilled out. probably should have mentioned that in my first post but i had forgotten until i saw this :8o

personally even withot worry of a fall, i'd raise the sub up a few inches to make it a little less roomy. that might be all it takes for it to calm down.

edit: beautiful T, by the way. i can't wait until mine gets the size of yours and starts getting the longer leg hairs and chunks up :)

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yup thats a gorgeous set up with a gorgeous spider :) You should have fun with her :)

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
More substrate IMHO..

Get it closer to the top in case it falls from one of those climbing sessions. While they will adapt and most likely come down after awhile keep the substrate higher in case it falls. You wouldn't want it to damage or kill itself in a fall..

Imbrium

Arachnopeon
I had mine on dry coconut and it stayed on top of it's hide most of the time, and stood on its tip toes when it was actually on the substrate. I've since changed it to pure peat and it has been behaving normally since. Maybe yours doesn't like coconut either?

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
Fixed it ...maybe

I went out and bought a bag of t-rex jungle blend forrest substrate. It was dried out and ready to use ... so after a hair flicking episode { that I still find very funny} I raised the level of substrate up about another 3 inches and low and behold he settled down and is currently walking around on the floor of his tank rather than up on the glass. I hope this has worked !?!?!?!?!?!

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I went out and bought a bag of t-rex jungle blend forrest substrate. It was dried out and ready to use ... so after a hair flicking episode { that I still find very funny} I raised the level of substrate up about another 3 inches and low and behold he settled down and is currently walking around on the floor of his tank rather than up on the glass. I hope this has worked !?!?!?!?!?!
Time will tell :)

Good decision on the added substrate. Even if it doesn't solve the immediate problem of clinging to the walls it certainly will help in case it does it again and happens to fall.

Also something might also be the new substrate is completely dry and they like it bone dry. Any hint of moisture may have set it off to the walls and because of the new strate it recognized the lack of moisture and settled down.

Give it time to build some silken areas and it most likely will settle down completely.

Good luck and welcome!

Tapahtyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mine is doing the same thing always trying to push the top of the lid off too, had to put something on top of it. He only has a water dish nothing else so more substrate? Mind you the cage is a 10gal split in half

Attachments