OBT speed question

rk1983

Arachnopeon
How fast is an OBT, I have been thinking about getting one. I found a guy that has one for sale, he says it's the most beautiful OBT he has ever seen, but it's also the most aggressive/defensive he has every seen. I don't really mind the defensiveness, I don't handle my T's. I am just worried about it running out of the tank every time I open the lid, or running at me and biting me every time I fill/clean her water dish.

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
yea they can be speedy but you know how i kept my hopes up? at least its not an h.mac {D

Tym Hollerup

Arachnoknight
I have 4 of them right now. 3 slings all ranging from .5"-1" and also one adult female that's 3.5". I will say, no matter what size they are, they are quick! Just to give you an idea of their speed, here's a YouTube video...

[YOUTUBE]PSqBzouougE[/YOUTUBE]

I'm not trying to say that they aren't manageable, because they are. But you need to be on your toes a little bit closer with these guys. Also, compared to an H. mac, I still think it would be a good race! I personally think a couple of my OBT's could outrun my H. mac if given the chance. But I haven't really seen my H. mac run too often either. Bottom line is: Yes they can be very fast. But if you're careful and take precautions, there shouldn't be any problems at all. OBT's are by far my favorite species out there! Be careful and enjoy them! They are very readily available in the hobby, but I don't think people appreciate them nearly as much as they should. They are a true work of art!

k2power

Arachnoknight
Very Fast. I recommend doing cage maintenance during the day when they are in their hide and NOT at night when they are out and about. They are roach fast if that helps any.

rk1983

Arachnopeon
I've seen a lot of videos of them on Youtube. It seems that usually when they are running around and being defensive, it's because people are poking at them or messing with them. I never mess with my T's, the only reason I would go near their tanks is to give them food/water/maintenance. So, hopefully when I take off the lid, she doesn't come lunging at me like a rabid doberman and get me in the jugular. LOL :D:evil::D

Tym Hollerup

Arachnoknight
I've seen a lot of videos of them on Youtube. It seems that usually when they are running around and being defensive, it's because people are poking at them or messing with them. I never mess with my T's, the only reason I would go near their tanks is to give them food/water/maintenance. So, hopefully when I take off the lid, she doesn't come lunging at me like a rabid doberman and get me in the jugular. LOL :D:evil::D
While this can be true, don't be surprised if the OBT darts out of nowhere for no apparent reason! Even the slightest disturbance can have them off and running before you can even think to react!

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I sort of wish I had a video of the day I received and unpacked my then 0.5" OBT. I thought I was prepared... NOT! {D It led me a merry chase across counter tops, cabinets, walls, under, around, behind things... Then I finally got my hands on it and it did laps of my arms... It ended up in a condiment cup intended for a different T where it stayed for the next two weeks. Eventual rehousing went smoothly. Yeah, they're pretty fast. :)

REPTECH

Arachnopeon
OBTs are very fast and will not think twice about bitting you i currently have 3 they are my fav Ts but trust me you dont want to get tagged by one but if your carefull and treat them with repect and know how they react then they are great Ts to have in your collection

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Couple notes on my experience of OBTs

1. They are fast. they are bitey at times. Only if you bug them.

2. All of mine are far more likely to retreat and hide if disturbed. The only time they get annoyed is if they are being rehoused.

With a little forethought they can be brilliant Ts to own and web a lot which is most pleasing. Select an enclosure type and setup that allows you do your maintenance with minimal requirement to rummage around. That way the most likely thing to happen is the T will hide, you'll do your thing, and the T will come back out later

k2power

Arachnoknight
I second the above. I have a very spartan arrangement with a cork hide cave in one corner and water in the other on vermiculite. This allows me to do maintenance with little disturbance to the occupied area of the cage. It is a tall Petco cage and the spider is often out and about at night on the cage sides and hides all day. Definitely do work during the day in the cage when its hiding. You do't want to open that "cage of spiders" during the night when it is at its peak activity.

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
While they can be very fast, I've found that they(as with most Ts I've kept, including the even faster pokies) would rather shoot into their hides than bolt out of the enclosure. They probably feel safer within it, actually, because every T I've had try to run out would stop at the rim of whatever I keep them in(most of the time).

By the way, my OBT isn't in a very big enclosure, and I've never had problems with maintenance.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As everyone has pretty much said, yes, they can be fast, but I don't know how much you'd really have to worry about it. They're much more likely to hide than to charge you, and the only time they'd likely ever speed off or at you is if you're poking around their hiding spot.

I'd say this really goes for most Ts.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Couple notes on my experience of OBTs

1. They are fast. they are bitey at times. Only if you bug them.

2. All of mine are far more likely to retreat and hide if disturbed. The only time they get annoyed is if they are being rehoused.

With a little forethought they can be brilliant Ts to own and web a lot which is most pleasing. Select an enclosure type and setup that allows you do your maintenance with minimal requirement to rummage around. That way the most likely thing to happen is the T will hide, you'll do your thing, and the T will come back out later
bryn said it best. sounds EXACTLY like mine. well, so far:D i house mine in a queso jar now (view my gallery)..... which led to its name "queso" ... and it is nothin but web and substrate/tunnels its dug. its webbing is even stuck to the lid so its CONSTANTLY darting off when i have to feed, but other than that its always visible and on the glass or climbin around. i think these jars are PERFECT for an obt around 1 to 2.5 inches. PLUS, it'll make rehoming easy. obt's max out at around 5 to 6" so all i gotta do when this one gets too big for its jar is pop it into the "forever home" and twist the cap off. EASY

TM-Dubz

Arachnopeon
My OBT is fast but timid. It spends a lot of time out on top of its web but ducks for cover if I open the enclosure. Very pleasant to keep. :D

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
It's pretty easy to do cage maintenance with P murinus, as they are usually hiding in their holes. They won't just run out of their holes to attack you either.
If yours is out in the open, just tap on the cage before opening the lid and she will retreat to her burrow.

If you want to be extra cautious, just do all maintenance in the bathtub & have a catch cup ready, simple as that.

But to answer your question, they are very fast. The speed is not an issue though if you practice proper husbandry.

rk1983

Arachnopeon
I bought one two days ago, she's a lot more calm than I expected. But I don't think I will be holding her anytime soon. {D

VENOMdeBEEVER

Arachnopeon
Mine will run and hide too but when my girlfreind goes in there for cage maintence she has a little piece of cardboard and a rock. She covers his only entrence to his hide and places the rock in front of the piece of cardboard so he caouldnt get out if he wanted to. Me Im not looking forward to getting bit i dont poke or bother my Ts but I also thaught about getting tagged before I got my 1st T. Eventually its gonna happen but by who is whay we all wont ever know till it happens.;P

baboonfan

Arachnopeon
How fast is an OBT, I have been thinking about getting one. I found a guy that has one for sale, he says it's the most beautiful OBT he has ever seen, but it's also the most aggressive/defensive he has every seen. I don't really mind the defensiveness, I don't handle my T's. I am just worried about it running out of the tank every time I open the lid, or running at me and biting me every time I fill/clean her water dish.
Speed is very impressive. I had a freebie 3/4ths inch sling rocket across my large screened in porch at about mach 5.

Aggression is overstated for OBTs in my experience. If harassed they will display defensive behaviors but usually choose to flee to their hides before displaying any threat.

To avoid escapes only open the lid when you need to, use a large clear transfer box when you need to rehouse, open the lid only as much as you need to drop a cricket in or fill a water dish, etc...

OBTs arent the evil beasts they are made out to be.