OBT Sling Is A Pet Hole

rekabwerb

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
he acts allot like one of those tunneling true spiders that make the huge webs. He stays right at the end of his tunnel and with ANY disturbance hes gone like lightning.

I was just wondering if this is normal, or if this is a sling thing, because I've seen videos of OBTs and they seem to be a more active, visible spider. I know they do build tunnels and are a little secretive but I wasn't expecting this.

KadeshAvic

Arachnopeon
Seems pretty standard. Mine is really jumpy. I also get the feeling that it would tear my face off if it had the opportunity. Now It's jumpy with bigger movements... however if I put a roach/cricket in the container, it mauls it. But personalities can vary.

Just put your finger right by its face, and if it digs in, then you got an obt ;P

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
as slings they're commonly pet holes, this is common with a lot of the african species (notably H macs and S calcs). I have two juvenile OBTs and they too will hide entirely for any daylight hours, to catch them out and about you gotta let them be in the dark for a bit and then spring the light on them :)

I'm hopeful thought that when they get to full size they'll focus more on the webbing then on the burrowing - either than or i'll give them more of an arboreal setup :D

rekabwerb

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
as slings they're commonly pet holes, this is common with a lot of the african species (notably H macs and S calcs). I have two juvenile OBTs and they too will hide entirely for any daylight hours, to catch them out and about you gotta let them be in the dark for a bit and then spring the light on them :)

I'm hopeful thought that when they get to full size they'll focus more on the webbing then on the burrowing - either than or i'll give them more of an arboreal setup :D
I have a small desk lamp pointed at shelf underneath their enclosures (shelf is black) I turn on for certain periods to give them heat, when I do this GBB, A.V., & OBT move toward the light. Thats the only time I see OBT Wario, he puts his belly up on the side of the container. P.Subfusca doesn't like the light most times so he goes in his hide. I also have P.Subfusca off to the side since he likes cooler temps than the other three.

sean-820

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is normal. When a small sling mine was pretty much hid all day and it want uncommen if i didnt see it for a week since it only ventured out at during the middle of the night when i was sleeping. a year later is is more ballzy and it will sit at the top of the tunnel during the middle of the day, but it will retreat if threatened. From what ive heard obts are braver and more agressive as they get larger which im sure works to an extent with alot of species as a sling is almost helpless so it hides while a full grown obt has a nice bite for protection so it can sit more in the open. The other option obts do is just web like crazy, above gound, but i say just give it plent or substrate so it can burrow or web.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Our OBT sling burrowed a lot, but also webbed profusely. As he gets older and bigger he is coming out more often. In fact just today, he decided that the water dish he had buried above the entrance to his burrow now needed to be uncovered and placed in the opposite corner. Oh and he completely filled in his burrow and built a new branch to his tube web. He now has no choice but to be out in the open.:D

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The only thing I don't like about the OTB is you rarely see them.Thay spin
web everywhere and thay move so fast.Thats why I got rid of mine.

<RavenWolf>

Arachnopeon
I'm glad to hear its not only my lil devil that prefers to hide .. I use a red light at night in the spider room .. its the only time i actually get to see it

arborealTs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
most of my pokie slings do the same thing.....

my irminia slings almost never come out period.

BassAssassin

Arachnopeon
I thought I was lucky with my lil 1.5 inch OBT because he had built a very intricate tunnel web on top of the substrate under a piece of bark he has in there. I could always see him through his web or perched on top of the wood his web is under. Woke this morning to him beginning to dig a hole right in the center of his web. I waved goodbye to him cause I assume once he finishes the burrow I'll then have a container with a pet bark and substrate. OBTs will be OBTs I guess.