OBT rehousing fail, homemade cube

sAdam

Arachnopeon
so, got the new OBT sling. Being a newb, the rehousing met with some initial difficulties.

i didn't get a pic, but suffice to say that the bug tub thing, the cube and the OBT were all in the kritter keeper for a day while we re evaluated our T keeping skills and i gathered the balls to try again.

eventual success. as you can see, the little sumbitch aint goin anywhere now.

if you want scale, that's 5 mil (.22") acrylic. I think it'd be more appropriate choice for keeping an angry medium sized dog than a spider. the stuff did not score and break cleanly at all.

i think i'll just go buy the little clear boxes next time ...:wall:

oh yeah, forgot to ask. when does the little feller get a water dish? 2"?

Attachments

Last edited:

dantediss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hahahaha i dont mean to laugh but wow security overkill... give him/her a bottlecap for water as they prefer it dry..mist once a week or every other doesnt really need it but better safe than sorry

dantediss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
btw youll soon see that they web everything, right up to the tippy top for easy bite range haha...dont be nervous or scared cus thats when you get bit just be calm and pay attention youll be fine

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Feisty balls of Orange

I just rescently received 11 OBT's from nice hobbyist........

When I open to check little individual sauce containers.......

1/2 of them would run out and on my hand{1 3/4" - 2"+}
I had fun handling them that initial day......and next to scare wife a little,
I know that's bad, but, my son thought it was Hilarious! {D{D{D

They are all in larger homes now, and eating Great! One is a red-orange color.
:evil:
Fun stuff!
- Jason

Last edited:

arachnochicken

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
OBT rehousing

I know exactly how you feel , this is what happened to me the first time I tried rehousing mine .

OBT rehousing day ....ohboy

Well as it says above , it was time to rehouse my little OBT's . I got them from Katy Green back in August and they've molted twice so now they're about 1 1/4"-1 1/2" or so and their homes were getting a little to snug for them . I have 2 of them by the way . I always rehouse my slings in a 10 gallon tank , just in case . Today it proved to be the best idea I've ever had .....well sort of .
The first one went into its new home without a hitch . Tilted the old home over the new one and in it went no fuss what so ever . THIS is where it got interesting . Well the second one had a different agenda . I tilted the old home over the new one and in it went , "hey that was really easy ", WRONG !!!! Before I can get the lid on ,it desided to climb out of the new container and into the 10 gallon tank . OK this isn't the first one to do this so I'll just give it a second to relax and I'll corral it into its new home . Sounded good in theory , then reality kicked in . HOLY CRAP THESE THINGS ARE FAST !!! I went to put its old home down and put the lid on the 10 , well now I hear my wife screaming " ITS GETTING OUT " so as I turn to look its sitting on the top rim of the tank . OH CRAP ! I get the lid to its new home and try to nudge it back into the tank , not happening , this thing takes a flying leap and lands on the rug (thank god for the rug) well now its running alongside the coffee table at warp speed , right toward my wife . Oh by the way, this is the same woman that always swore that if one EVER got out she was squishing it . So now this things running toward her , she jumps straight up in the air and lands on the recliner , hhmm never knew she could jump that high or scream that loud .Now the dog desides to see what all the commotions about and eat whatevers causing it (110 lbs pitbull) .So now I have to think quickly , grab the lid for the 10 and let it climb up onto it . So I have the lid in one hand and using my foot to keep the dog from eating my little (evil I might add) T, naturaly the wifes no help whatsoever .Using the lid was the first thing that went right with this whole mess . Up it goes onto the screen lid and back into the 10 gallon tank . 15 minutes or so later this little piece of greased lightening is back in its new home and the wife is safe once again .
Maybe I'll wait on getting a Pokey .

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Seems like your tank is too humid mate.
I have kept lots of these and they were always kept "dry"
I can see the water dripping down the sides.....what are you doing ?
Too humid for P.murinus matey....check the care sheets out.
Paul

imd12nv

Arachnopeon
I just had my first experience rehousing my first OBT. Everything whent smooth but they are super fast. I think what helped me was knowing what to expect and expecting the worse.

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I just had my first experience rehousing my first OBT. Everything whent smooth but they are super fast. I think what helped me was knowing what to expect and expecting the worse.
Try a H.maculata next and see if that is a bit quicker.

dantediss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the ventilation seems perfect but remember they like it dry..lightly mist once a week or every other...i only did that so mine knew there was water available..btw i kept 15 without a hitch hahaha

dantediss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
B.t.w i have 2 crappy cellphone vids on youtube.. 1 holding a mature male ( my 1st t ) and one holding a 4 inch plus female..lookup mm obt handling theyll both come up, jusu feel o.b.t's get a bad rep

Ritzman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wonder if the moisture is being caused by the ceramic heat emitter pointed directly at the OBT.
Make sure he doesn't get to toasty. I wouldn't use the heat source unless your house get unusually cold.

sAdam

Arachnopeon
thanks for the info.

i'm glad someone shared almost the same experience as me. as it happens, i had the girlfriend helping me and she was screaming bloody murder when the little bugger made for daylight.

the water droplets are there as i had just washed the kritter keeper dealy out. as i said, everything and the kitchen sink was in there so it had dirt everywhere.

i was told to keep the substrate quite moist until i offered a water dish however.
is this misinformation?

he really seems to like the heat lamp. always up in that corner. maybe he just hates his damp substrate. lemme know.

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
All I can say is that I always kept mine bone dry mate.......a shallow water dish which was over filled every few weeks or so.
My ones were fine and seemed happy enough....always tried to bite my head off anyway :D
Dry the sub out and see what happens.
With my P.murinus.......they were either terrestrial,arboreal or cave diggers.......never 2 the same lol