OBT, H. Crassipes, SunTiger, or Indian Violet?

Arienette

Arachnoknight
See this why you should never post your age cuz now everyone is going to say your to inexperienced but I would still say OBT or suntiger but they can both be "reclusive"
No. We're not saying that at all.

Its when you say your age like its some kind of leverage.. Like "I'm 14 I'm not a kid".. (not saying op did, just making an example) that's when everyone says "oh yes you are, tyke..." And its true.

However simply stating your age along with intelligent statements and a mature attitude does not mean people are going to tell him he's not ready.

I'd say he's ready as one will ever be, but get the suntiger first, before you go for ones WITH ow venom..

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
By more than you know I meant more then you think I know because I'm only 14 and is obsessed with tarantulas
obsession =/= knowlege, please, you may think you know much, but after 5-6 months on this forum you'll amaze yourself. i, by no means want to offend you or anything, but if you wanna get aggresive T's get a NW one first. this hobby is not about getting most aggresive T, or most venomous one, every T is beautiful and you can get anything what you want from NW that equals OW. youtube up p. cancerides, i promise you, you will not be dissapointed :)

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Go with Psalmous genus plenty of Anger without quite as Bad venom
IMO I prefer Psalmous Cambrigei big size, fast growth mine aren't as angry as P Irminia

A Versicolor still my favorite Gentle T I miss my Girl that died of a bad molt

Last edited:

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
If you do indeed go forth into the land of OW tarantulas, please: be up front about it with the people you live with about what it is that you're getting, educate them; get a sling so you can watch it grow and gain experience while it is still at a reasonably manageable size; read until your eyes bulge about how other people interact with fast, defensive tarantulas so you can avoid the mistakes we see all too often here;)

singaporesling

Arachnosquire
P.irminia all the way.look at some adults on youtube. My sling molted twice in a month and went from .75 inch to 1.5....great aggressive eaters and way cool looking

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
All 3 ts the op wants are amazingly speedy. Obt and fimbriatus especially.

I cant believe people here are actually suggesting TO A MINOR to go from a boringly slow and cuddly grammie sling to a obt or any other OW. :embarrassed: That is wrong for multiple reasons.
Nothing like throwing the kid into the shark tank...

Obviously i am going to recommend the Psalmo.. breath takingly beautiful, relatively cheap, readily available, hardy enough, meet the requirements the OP wants, and can show him a thing or two about speed and defensiveness.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Why did I recommend a C fimbriatus? Cause I gave my advice on the species period. It is his responsibility to be open and honest with his parents, and it is his parents' responsibility to do their due diligence in looking up what they will be buying their son (or what he has asked to purchase). Call me heartless, but that is my reasoning.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I understand your reasoning, however i still think its highly irresponsible to recommend or sell a hot t to a minor. PERIOD.
The ONLY way i would ever sell a hot t to a minor is if the kids parent was at the point of purchase.

Do you really trust a 14 yr old to tell their parents the specifics of a potentially harmful animal they want to purchase?

Hell, i doubt a 14yr old even understands what all the consequences of a bite COULD bring.
I bet most 14 yr olds dont even think past the "is it going to hurt" part.

He certainly wouldnt tell his/her parents that the bite is/can be medically significant. That a trip to the hospital (along with a hefty bill) could be in order. That the parents would have to miss out on a day of work to care for the minor that is @ home from school because he is ill from a bite..

This is just my humble opinion, but people who will sell a hot t to a minor are irresponsible, and could help give this hobby a bad name.

I know you cant get a parents permission on EVERY SALE, so just simply dont make one if it involves a hot t. There is always somebodyn else plenty responsible enough and capable of handling the spider elsewhere

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
If I were a dealer, I wouldn't sell a "hot" T to a minor. But I also am simply going to answer the question honestly as I would for anyone cause, like you said, a teen may just do what he/she wants without talking honestly with his/her parents. And that will happen no matter how many people tell the teen not to do it. (I mean, what teen doesn't want to prove he/she isn't a kid by "showing" us what he/she can do?) Hence, I will give my honest opinion with regards to the spiders.

NoSBoH

Arachnopeon
As far as I'm concerned.... Lets be real as a 14 year old we got into waaaay scarier riskier activities than any OW. Not me but a ton of my friends were given guns at that age, just saying. If your parents are ok with it, do it. I stressed caution and gave some experiences and suggestions and I would recommend continued research into the species.. I stand by my statements.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I understand your reasoning, however i still think its highly irresponsible to recommend or sell a hot t to a minor. PERIOD.
The ONLY way i would ever sell a hot t to a minor is if the kids parent was at the point of purchase.

Do you really trust a 14 yr old to tell their parents the specifics of a potentially harmful animal they want to purchase?

Hell, i doubt a 14yr old even understands what all the consequences of a bite COULD bring.
I bet most 14 yr olds dont even think past the "is it going to hurt" part.

He certainly wouldnt tell his/her parents that the bite is/can be medically significant. That a trip to the hospital (along with a hefty bill) could be in order. That the parents would have to miss out on a day of work to care for the minor that is @ home from school because he is ill from a bite..

This is just my humble opinion, but people who will sell a hot t to a minor are irresponsible, and could help give this hobby a bad name.

I know you cant get a parents permission on EVERY SALE, so just simply dont make one if it involves a hot t. There is always somebodyn else plenty responsible enough and capable of handling the spider elsewhere
Grayzone I agree with you
Perhaps the OP can get a Pinktoe tarantula
if he's only 14:biggrin:
Avicularia versicolor, or Avicularia avicularia

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
Grayzone I agree with you
Perhaps the OP can get a Pinktoe tarantula
if he's only 14:biggrin:
Avicularia versicolor, or Avicularia avicularia
don't just tease him, it's not nice. if he have experience(and he have) getting next level T is totally nice, like psalmo, tappie etc. heck even if he get ceratogyrus wouldn't be end of world. but orange bitey thing or some poop with strong venom is not recommendable

NoSBoH

Arachnopeon
My two fimbriatus would rather just hide at any disturbance, when the irminia I recently traded was super flighty and threw postures on an every disturbance basis. I've also read some reports that irminia too have a stronger venom.
I'm sure many fimbriatus are little hell hounds and many irminias are very docile. But my experiences so far say otherwise. There individuals. If you wanna get into Ow don't go into it fearing but respectful you'll be fine. Yolo :)

---------- Post added 02-24-2013 at 09:36 PM ----------

For the record I didn't recommend obt, I just said there great, which they are.

singaporesling

Arachnosquire
I bought a mature female obt at almost 5 inches and its been a hiding scaredy cat the whole time. It stays in its hide and I am careful in its enclosure but its never been out let alone made me worry. Just don't get bitten by one

NoSBoH

Arachnopeon
My guess ,Eric in his head he wants a spider that is very reactive. I understand that, When I got into old worlds that was an exciting prospect. But when I got into Ow I really didn't account for just how fast they are. I do agree that maybe an Avic would be your smartest choice to show the speed without much risk of a serious bite. It's tough to give recommendations because all of our experiences are different, and T's have a very wide personality spectrum. So it's a total mixed bag. And part of me think you should get a bit more experience with a calmer species. But in this day and age it's far easier to get anything online and if you want an ow you can get it. So do heed the warnings from me and other users, cause you don't wanna get bit.

Any thoughts on what you wanna get?

EricC23

Arachnopeon
Thanks NoSBoH and Marijan2 for sticking up for me and I do know what would happen if bitten to those who think I don't and I've done a lot of research on these Ts and NoSBoH, If I were to pick 1 it would be the SunTiger but as people suggested maybe Ill stick to the more docile Ts instead and if anyone has any docile Ts they would like to share or sell Ill take your word for it so thank you. :)

NoSBoH

Arachnopeon
Your welcome, great choice. I didn't recommend them, but none the less they are fantastic, and a good test for anyone. As far as I'm concerned they pretty much are OW.

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm 15 and most people my age and below are just really dumb. They just can't decisions very well. I like to think I'm at least a little above that, and maybe the OP feels the same way. Sounds conceited, I know.
Look at my collection, though. Never been bit and never had trouble with OWs. It's a process, though. At least know your limits.