OBT, H. Crassipes, SunTiger, or Indian Violet?

EricC23

Arachnopeon
I am having a little bit of trouble finding out which tarantula would be good for me. An OBT, H. Crassipes, SunTiger, or an Indian Violet. I know that it may sound stupid to jump to an old world or more aggressive T even though I am still a beginner, but I feel that I am ready for something a little more aggressive even though its not a good idea. Right now my only tarantula is a Chaco Golden Knee (still a sling) and I want to join this wonderful hobby so please help ,but be gentle about it because I know a lot more about tarantulas than you may know even though I'm just 14. So please help! :)

Arienette

Arachnoknight
A suntiger is not old world.
However it is an awesome mid-way t to help prepare for an ow. They're fast and can be defensive but without the potency of venom.

Plus they're stunningly beautiful.

Go with p. Irminia, 100%

Might i add, you will do better here if you just not mention your age or how much you think you know. Turns out, and you kiddos may not know this, mentioning these just makes you seem immature. If you approach others in this hobby with tact and a desire to learn, you'll do great. If you say things like 'you probably know more than we do' you're basically asking to be met with gruff.

I'm not trying to sound rude here, as you did nothing wrong, I'm just giving a general pointer. a lot of people here have been doing this since before you were born.

Last edited:

Arienette

Arachnoknight
Thanks Arienette! ��
And I'm also going to throw this out there, I've had at least 3 obts in my care and i think they're totally overrated.

If you're thinking baboon, h macs are beeeeeeeautiful. I'd take one over a stinky obt any day.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Indian Violet make awsome webs ,but so does OBT between the two
I'm 21 yrs old
Suntigers are new world with OW anger,they are reclusive IMO, Trinidad chevrons are better and way Tougher:biggrin:

My Small Obts are cooler than my H mac's

Arienette

Arachnoknight
Indian Violet make awsome webs ,but so does OBT between the two
I'm 21 yrs old
Suntigers are new world with OW anger,they are reclusive IMO, Trinidad chevrons are better and way Tougher:biggrin:

My Small Obts are cooler than my H mac's
My adult female h mac knocks the socks off of obts. Plus she's visible 90% of the time.

And Chevrons aren't that pretty. Just kind of.. Brown. Suntigers have jet black/green and orange nike swoosh's.

Stunning.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
That's from my experience I have only owned these Ts for 5-9 months
OBT's & pokie's are kings to me

I love orange Spiders, Chevron's are green & orange

Phlerr

Arachnoknight
I second getting a Psalmo. A P irminia or P cambridgei really are great stepping stones so to speak . My female P cambridgei was the freebie in my first shipment and she definitely got me up to speed on how quick a T could be.......especially considering my first T was a G pulchripes as well. Oh yeah FYI, I don't know if I'd go around saying you know more than members on here, then ask for their help; they MIGHT get a lil offended, just maybe though.

Curtis Sowers

Arachnopeon
Sun tiger all the way. They can sometimes be reclusive but they would meet all your wants they are good eaters, semi aggressive, beautifully colored, more advanced then beginner tarantulas and have a amazing attitude.

Arachninja

Arachnopeon
OBT builds anything from tunnels in the dirt to Cathedrals of Webbing. P. Irminia, (Suntiger), will be a lot more visible, but has a generally routine style of tunnels under small web hides around structure. Get three of each. Just DO NOT think you are faster than either, Eight Legged Lightning homey. Both grow fast, eat like crazy, and on the Hardy side, but OBT's may not come out untill 2AM, and hide when they see you,(not you see them), but when you do it is AWESOME. I have not had either die, and they are adaptable to various keeping conditions. They are both relatively cheap and easy to obtain as well, HINT is look on craigslist, you never know.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Enjoy whatever you pic!!!
CRASSIPES, and violet I cannot comment on because I don't own!

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Personally, I think C fimbriatus may be one of the most beautiful T's out there, and I see my girl often. I say, if you want to dive in to OW, get a sling and go for it. When grown, you won't be disappointed and you'll have plenty experience.

Arachninja

Arachnopeon
Curtis "reclusive", this is true, but I swear some OBT's never come out, like six months at a time, all my irminia at least show a leg here and there, and most all of them do laps when the temps raise in the day, and they are especially available for a meal(though I think that they plot escape daily, OBT will just bite you if you mess in it's hole. I don't know on the OBT as far as breeding slings bought together, but irminia age relatively closely and breeding sacmates is possible, and not to long a wait. GET BOTH!

nolan

Arachnopeon
Thats not that small of a step thats like going from mr. rodgers to ted bundy

NoSBoH

Arachnopeon
^ haha true.... When I first read this I was gonna go with irminia, but they are silly fast and one I traded would throw postures at me when I open the cage. I have 2 fimbriatus slings ATM, they are skittish and plenty fast but that's my gut choice. Often viewable and one of mine made a two story bungalo, they are one of the more interesting webbers I've kept. Obt are great as well.

My worry is your 14 and have a super docile sling. Obts can(will) go nuts at sling size. I don't blame you for wanting them though. Just be ready for speed and unpredictability.

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
Get P. cancerides if you want an aggresive T, getting bit by a OW T is not small deal, especially when you are so young and don't have much experience. I guess irminia could also do the trick, though there is 50/50 you will encounter gentle one.

Kazaam

Arachnobaron
You don't seem to be ready for any old world.

If you really want something that is more defensive go for a Psalmopoeus.

EricC23

Arachnopeon
By more than you know I meant more then you think I know because I'm only 14 and is obsessed with tarantulas

Curtis Sowers

Arachnopeon
See this why you should never post your age cuz now everyone is going to say your to inexperienced but I would still say OBT or suntiger but they can both be "reclusive"