OBT Communal Help!!!

zm378205

Arachnopeon
So I just received 15 obt slings instead of 5 (which is awesome), but now I need to figure out the best way to take care of all of them. I really don't want to put each one in its own container, because I just set up 5 containers for the expected 5. Each sling is .5-.75" and I have them in a Micheal's cube type container 2/2/4 (I think or its at least around there) and I put 3 in each container.

Now my question is for a communal set up (obt or other) how do you go about feeding. Do you put in one item for the number of ts in the enclosure? And if so how do you know which ones are eating and which aren't??

This is just the first question I have regarding communal set up but if anyone cant tell me other things that I may need to address in the future it will be greatly appreciated!!!

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
Always overfeed in a communal enclosure.

Skinny abdomen = not eating
Fat abdomen= eating

You really can't regulate who gets what feeder unless you feed with tongs.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'd put in at least two prey items per spider.

zm378205

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the responses! Man I guess I'm going to have to look into breading my own feeders.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you bread them, they usually fry up much nicer and retain their crispness.

zm378205

Arachnopeon
Yeah that wouldn't be very good haha. You all know what I meant though. Any other communal suggestions or problems that you have run into??? Would really like to figure out common problems people have now at the beginning!!

Thanks

jeepinwu2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have 6 OBT living communally all have been together since hatching and are approx 2" now.. I keep them in a container the size which I'd normally house 1 T so no room for territory. I also throw in more roaches than necessary for all 6 to have a good meal available at their leisure. Basically I have a small 30 or so roach colony going on inside their container. I also feed the living roaches in the container so they stay healthy and fat. None have eaten each other and I've noticed them coming into contact often. They don't actually live communal but for now have the tolerance to live in the same container. Hopefully it lasts but I have a feeling it won't for much longer.