Observations: NW vs OW

obg

Arachnopeon
Good day everyone......I just got back into T's after being away from it since the mid-90's. Looove how the hobby has developed to what it is now. Anyways....some observations ( so far ) between New World and Old World T's:

I bought a GBB, a couple of Versi's, a Ceratogyrus marshalli, and a Lampropelma violaceopes. They were all pretty much about the same size when I got them as slings....the two versi's a tad smaller than the others. GBB pretty much acted the way it should....uses its hide....webs, the whole deal. The two versi's both created their own web hammock that they use along with the cork bark that's attached towards the top of their enclosures. The Lampropelma violaceopes, as a sling, apparently likes to burrow. I gave it enough substrate and even with that, it created a tall funnel made of webbing and substrate that goes almost to the top of its enclosure. A pet hole basically. Then the Ceratogyrus marshalli was the biggest surprise....It was sent to me in error. Ended up keeping it....this baboon is an awesome engineer. Promptly burrowed and dug up almost all of the substrate it has in its enclosure....its like the new york city subway. The little guy can EXCAVATE. I count 4 tunnels to 4 different entrances and I dont think he's done.

The biggest difference I think is the way they feed. The NW's seem a bit more passive when it comes to going after their prey - specially the avics. I'm guessing they wait for prey to wander up where they are instead of going after prey ground-level. The Singapore blue and the horned baboon though...WOW. Can those guys POUNCE. Real menacing how they sloooowly start crawling and then strike. They attack and they are very good eaters.

Might just be their current size, but its fascinating to see the differences.....

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I've actually found, out of all the tarantulas I've kept (kept some OW back in the day, none at the moment), that the large NW terrestrials have a better feeding response than the OWs. But then again, there are always individuals who differ. I do see that you're lacking some of the larger tropical NWs, I'd suggest getting some of those ;)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The Lampropelma violaceopes, as a sling, apparently likes to burrow. I gave it enough substrate and even with that, it created a tall funnel made of webbing and substrate that goes almost to the top of its enclosure. A pet hole basically.
It's absolutely normal. Theraphosidae, as slings, tend to burrow... that's how they survive, and arboreals are no exception :)

Then the Ceratogyrus marshalli was the biggest surprise....It was sent to me in error. Ended up keeping it....this baboon is an awesome engineer. Promptly burrowed and dug up almost all of the substrate it has in its enclosure....its like the new york city subway. The little guy can EXCAVATE. I count 4 tunnels to 4 different entrances and I dont think he's done.
My (Ceratogyrus spp.) females only three, mostly: I'm jealous :)

Liquifin

Arachnoking
When it comes to "terrestrial" OW T.'s its very simple behavior. It's either tunnels or just one deep hole and that's it. My OW terrestrials live in secrecy that I almost never catch them out. I can show you a pic of one of my enclosures for an example. It's literally nothing but a flat substrate enclosure with one water dish in a corner, and a deep hole. But then again a happy OW terrestrial is one that burrows to its pleasure.

Irisiridescent

Arachnopeon
I haven't owned my T's long but my GBB is definitely NOT a gentle eater. He pounces and attacks with pretty good ferocity. My suspected G. inheringi/actaeon is shy and doesn't like me to see her eat.

I have an A. semanni, Braveheart, acts like an OW. She's bolty. She's sensitive. She's temperamental. I have to remind her that she's a NW but I think she missed the memo.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I haven't owned my T's long but my GBB is definitely NOT a gentle eater. He pounces and attacks with pretty good ferocity. My suspected G. inheringi/actaeon is shy and doesn't like me to see her eat.

I have an A. semanni, Braveheart, acts like an OW. She's bolty. She's sensitive. She's temperamental. I have to remind her that she's a NW but I think she missed the memo.
How large is your inheringi? I’ve heard they’re pretty ferocious eaters when they’re larger, maybe you just got a defective one? Haha.

Also, have you had it since it was a sling by any chance?

Irisiridescent

Arachnopeon
How large is your inheringi? I’ve heard they’re pretty ferocious eaters when they’re larger, maybe you just got a defective one? Haha.

Also, have you had it since it was a sling by any chance?
No, I haven't. She's a sub-adult I believe. She was a "pet shop" buy. Let me post a picture.

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Good day everyone......I just got back into T's after being away from it since the mid-90's. Looove how the hobby has developed to what it is now. Anyways....some observations ( so far ) between New World and Old World T's:

I bought a GBB, a couple of Versi's, a Ceratogyrus marshalli, and a Lampropelma violaceopes. They were all pretty much about the same size when I got them as slings....the two versi's a tad smaller than the others. GBB pretty much acted the way it should....uses its hide....webs, the whole deal. The two versi's both created their own web hammock that they use along with the cork bark that's attached towards the top of their enclosures. The Lampropelma violaceopes, as a sling, apparently likes to burrow. I gave it enough substrate and even with that, it created a tall funnel made of webbing and substrate that goes almost to the top of its enclosure. A pet hole basically. Then the Ceratogyrus marshalli was the biggest surprise....It was sent to me in error. Ended up keeping it....this baboon is an awesome engineer. Promptly burrowed and dug up almost all of the substrate it has in its enclosure....its like the new york city subway. The little guy can EXCAVATE. I count 4 tunnels to 4 different entrances and I dont think he's done.

The biggest difference I think is the way they feed. The NW's seem a bit more passive when it comes to going after their prey - specially the avics. I'm guessing they wait for prey to wander up where they are instead of going after prey ground-level. The Singapore blue and the horned baboon though...WOW. Can those guys POUNCE. Real menacing how they sloooowly start crawling and then strike. They attack and they are very good eaters.

Might just be their current size, but its fascinating to see the differences.....

The difference in pouncing you have observed is species specific. There are plenty of NWs with such behavior, and there are OWs that do not pounce.

obg

Arachnopeon

Wellll......I just fed my GBB, horned baboon, and singapore blue and they ALL attacked the red runners like precision surgeons. They are all post-molt about 2 weeks now. 2nd feeding after the molt.....and this time they were absolutely ferocious. GBB surprised me the most. As soon as the lat hit the substrate, she was there within LITERALLY a second. She came out of that hide like Usain Bolt.

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
LOL! I just played tug-o-war with my 1.5-1.75" GBB. I have been feeding meal worms lately that I have been poking though one of the 1/8" vent holes right near where she hangs out. She usually hits it hard and pulls it right through the hole super quick. Today it just bit it and hung on but left it halfway through the hole. (I think she is soon to molt) So I grabbed the tweezers and tugged on the worm a bit and she started pulling like crazy! I am quite surprised by how strong a little spider is.

Irisiridescent

Arachnopeon
Wellll......I just fed my GBB, horned baboon, and singapore blue and they ALL attacked the red runners like precision surgeons. They are all post-molt about 2 weeks now. 2nd feeding after the molt.....and this time they were absolutely ferocious. GBB surprised me the most. As soon as the lat hit the substrate, she was there within LITERALLY a second. She came out of that hide like Usain Bolt.
Mine has done the same. I dropped the cricket in his web and he practically teleported and grabbed it.