nw heavy webbers

seacowst

Arachnosquire
is there any nw terstial ts that are super heavy webbers like obts? i want a new t that webs alot but i dont think im ready for a ow t yet. any types?

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
I wouldn't call them "terrestrial" in the same way that Brachypelma and Grammostola are terrestrial, but GBBs are heavy webbers. I keep mine in a terrestrial setup with tons to web on, and the whole enclosure is web. Not to mention they are great display spiders, beautiful, and great eaters. They can be skittish and fast (and prone to hair kicking), but they aren't OBT fast. ;)

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i know theyre not terrestrial, but why not go with any of the Avicularia sp?

Shell

Staff member
i know theyre not terrestrial, but why not go with any of the Avicularia sp?
From my experience, Avicularia aren't super heavy webbers. My versi has a good tube web going but that's about it. My A. avicularia, only webs before it molts, otherwise it's happy to just sit in it's fake plants with the odd little strand of web. Others that I've had, have been pretty much the same.

Lost In Space

Arachnopeon
Yeah, my A. azuraklaasi has webbed her log to her wall maybe because of all the moving i have to do to it to get her waterbowl out/or when a cricket finds it's way underneath and doesn't come out. >.< other than that she webs food matts and "trip lines" her fav. spot used to be on the back wall, she's a log lover now. :D

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
From my experience, Avicularia aren't super heavy webbers. My versi has a good tube web going but that's about it. My A. avicularia, only webs before it molts, otherwise it's happy to just sit in it's fake plants with the odd little strand of web. Others that I've had, have been pretty much the same.
hmm.. ive seen others like that too... i only say that because so far my diversipes has a pretty cool tube web going down the side of its deli, however my versi has webbed the crap out of the top of its home. i tried taking pics, but it wont show up too well with my cell phones camera... maybe my versi is the exception, not the rule

---------- Post added 04-02-2012 at 06:49 PM ----------

Yeah, my A. azuraklaasi has webbed her log to her wall maybe because of all the moving i have to do to it to get her waterbowl out/or when a cricket finds it's way underneath and doesn't come out. >.< other than that she webs food matts and "trip lines" her fav. spot used to be on the back wall, she's a log lover now. :D
my diversipes and versi have done this too.. i dont like the look of a hot glue blob holding the wood in place, so im glad the slings took care of the problem FOR me... quite helpful
:biggrin:

Shell

Staff member
hmm.. ive seen others like that too... i only say that because so far my diversipes has a pretty cool tube web going down the side of its deli, however my versi has webbed the crap out of the top of its home. i tried taking pics, but it wont show up too well with my cell phones camera... maybe my versi is the exception, not the rule
I have found that my versi webs more than other Avics I have owned/seen, that's just from own personal experience though. I still wouldn't call it a heavy webber next to say my GBB, Hapalopus sp "Colombia/Large" , H. incei (I 3rd the incei suggestion) etc.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
very true shell.. not comparable at all. was just tryin to sway him to arboreal :biggrin: if im not mistaken, he has an albo and a rosie already.. diversity is awesome. To the OP... yes seacowst... GBB is your best bet. a little skittish, but IME safer than an OBT by far.. just watch for hair kicking and their speed. all the GBB slings i have owned are pretty quick.

---------- Post added 04-02-2012 at 07:21 PM ----------

ive never owned an incei so i cant suggest those

Shell

Staff member
ive never owned an incei so i cant suggest those
My MF H. incei was much faster than my GBB, she was a very fun spider. She webbed tons, had all kinds of tube webs, and burrows, and tunnels. Her enclosure was like a maze.

As far as I'm concerned, H. incei is a must have for every collection.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hey.. what about A. francki.... anybody wanna chime in on these guys?? ive been eyeing one myself for some time now

suzypike

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I also vote Holothele incei and GBB. I've kept both and they are both awesome webbers. My H. incei is super fast though- the first time I rehoused I chased it all over the bathroom.

SgtSparkles

Arachnosquire
my gbb goes through webbing spurts where it wont web for a long time then i'll go in there one day and its webbing will have greatly increased in size

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Id sy H. incei over GBB. There is no other tarantula to compare to the good ole incei, and they dont get uglier as they molt. Personal opinion.

Amoeba

Arachnolord
Id sy H. incei over GBB. There is no other tarantula to compare to the good ole incei, and they dont get uglier as they molt. Personal opinion.
Agreed they have subtle beauty

I'm gonna one plus Shell and agree everyone needs a H. incei.

Of the three incei I have they all webbed their sauce cups in a matter of hours fast, pretty, fast growing, communal when done right.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah Amoeba i agree. And Steven, you totally need a incei. They are like the rosea of the dwarf world. Everone must have atleast 1. Hopefully my boys that got shipped out and paired with 5 different females will be daddys soon.