Now What Does This Mean??

Apocalypstick

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm sorry to ask this instead of using the search, but yanno it's a vague like question on the search.

OK, I've had tarantulas for 15 years... but why do they stick thier butts up in the air??? My T has been literally bending her body in half in the middle to stick her abdoment straight up... with her legs straight up to extend herself as tall as she can get :?

I wouldn't think much about it if she wasn't doing it constantly.
She is a 5 inch JUVY g. pulchra. Yes, I said juvy...she was still fused when she molted in Jan.

So, please. remind me what the butt up is all about??? :eek:

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ive always know the butt being up as a type*of defense. Or warning.

mybabyhasfangs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The ones I notice it in are the avics, and it's generally right before they spray poo all over you....LOL. I don't think I've noticed the others doing it though, not yet at least.

Chris

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
We've seen others do this also, but it is an Avic trait. My daughter's 5 inch T blondi has done this and so has her L. paryhybana, "Salmon pink". These two will kick hairs so the T is trying to take aim.

Sharon

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Apocalypstick said:
OK, I've had tarantulas for 15 years... but why do they stick thier butts up in the air??? My T has been literally bending her body in half in the middle to stick her abdoment straight up... with her legs straight up to extend herself as tall as she can get :?

ISo, please. remind me what the butt up is all about??? :eek:
They're telling you they love you :} :} ;P

All my NW'ers that are prone to flicking hairs do it, it's a "leave me be" sign.

Becca

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've seen my "D.pentaloris" do this, I also think it might be a defensive posture, it is rather strange though {D

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My G. rosea did this for days awhile ago:
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=41319
Scroll down and check out the pic in #15---it's really hilarious! I came to the conclusion that she was impersonating an octopus!{D Nothing changed in her environment or the T room, there was no reason for her to feel threatened.... no pinheads in the tank....(they drive her crazy)....

itsy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My G.pulchra does exactly the same and normaly over his heat mat. I have always taken it to be something to do with the rising heat and humidity, quite often he will dig his subsrate and then stand tall with his butt stuck up over the hole.
The pic below is one with his bum up but he also stands on tiptoes doing it.Sorry not clear photo.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ive seen my blondi do that sometimes too.

On a side note you might wanna change your substrate.

itsy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If the substrate change was aimed at me, the picture is old and was changed to coconut husk block along time ago and yes he still does it on the new substrate too.much to my amusement.:D

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
itsy said:
If the substrate change was aimed at me, the picture is old and was changed to coconut husk block along time ago and yes he still does it on the new substrate too.much to my amusement.:D
Ah was about to say maybe it was the substrate but as you said, the pic is old and the substrate has been changed..... and it still does it. {D I think it would be a little cute if mine did it. :)

Czalz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
C. fasciatum does this a lot as well, but i've always thought it was a reaction to feeding since it never displays a threat, and it almost always happens after I open the enclosure and drop a surprise inside.

-czalz

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have old world spiders that do the same, may in fact be the equivallent of "stilting" seen in scorps.......

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here is the story I heard about this, it is like when a bird puffs out it's feathers or a cat raises its hairs to make them look larger than they are to intimidate a would be threat... Greg

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,
The only issue I see with that is they do it when there isn't a threat around too, which would rule it out for me....

Steve