Note for all keepers - DO NOT underestimate even your "calmest" spiders

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Got a quick reminder just a while ago.

I wa busy filling my Ts water dishes, when I got to my 6" MF B. boehmei, she was by the top edge of her KK... For a moment, I thought she was just going to stay put for a moment, but no, she decided to get adventurous and attempted to lift the loose cover. At first, I was careful not to squish her feet by accident, so I used the edge of the cover to keep her in. Well what do you know, I could LITERALLY feel her pushing against me. I would never have thought they were strong enough for that. After several attempts to push her back and failing, I reached out for my paintbrush. A couple nudges and she finally backed down.

Just goes to show that you can't be complacent, even with seemingly "gentle" NWs. I didn't want her to take a stroll out since I had no catch cup handy (My bad, I know !) and there's also the fact that I never intend to handle her for whatever reason. Thankfully, no hair kicking or threatposing ensued, so it's cool.

My first close call in over 11 years... I have a feeling it won't be my last.

Thanks for reading, folks. Feel free to add your anecdotes of similar close calls.

TwiztedNinja

Arachnobaron
While misting, sling Avic ulrichea bolted out of the little Amac box and quickly ran up the side of a glass tank where I was housing one of my bigger avics at the time. Mesh screen was on, but it could've easily slipped in thru the gaps and into the tank. I placed my hand on its path right before it reached the very top and crawled onto my hand. Then I put it back in the box

Thats when I knew this guy is even boltier than I thought. I have an avic avic, same size, who isnt as bolty as this one is

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've had 2 Avics talk a quick run during normal husbandry. One took a jump about 4 ft into cardboard like sky diver, 8 legs opened wide, it was pretty impressive.

My AF minatrix ran onto a wooden tool I had as I was trying to trim some webbing away. It was a bit like a gymnast on a balance beam. She took 1 step, and I thought for sure she was going to jump based on her legs, and then she moved up a few millimeters, and quickly did at least 2 or 3 180's around the tool in place. It was amazingly fast, prob the fastest I've seen any Avic move. Then she walked back home.

I learned: never do Avic husbandry with both hands full, and always do my Avic husbandry close to the floor.

First and only times I had issues with Avics.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

I wa busy filling my Ts water dishes, when I got to my 6" MF B. boehmei, she was by the top edge of her KK... For a moment, I thought she was just going to stay put for a moment, but no, she decided to get adventurous and attempted to lift the loose cover. At first, I was careful not to squish her feet by accident, so I used the edge of the cover to keep her in. Well what do you know, I could LITERALLY feel her pushing against me. I would never have thought they were strong enough for that. After several attempts to push her back and failing, I reached out for my paintbrush. A couple nudges and she finally backed down.

Just goes to show that you can't be complacent, even with seemingly "gentle" NWs. I didn't want her to take a stroll out since I had no catch cup handy (My bad, I know !) and there's also the fact that I never intend to handle her for whatever reason. Thankfully, no hair kicking or threatposing ensued, so it's cool.

Thanks for reading, folks. Feel free to add your anecdotes of similar close calls.
I've played tug of war with a few AF, including my boehmei. They are amazingly strong for their size.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've played tug of war with a few AF, including my boehmei. They are amazingly strong for their size.
I was really surprised as how strong she was at holding that lid against me ! Never again will I let my guard down with any T. I need to make a mental note and have a catch cup just in case one of them do succeed in making a run for it. You never know...

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was really surprised as how strong she was at holding that lid against me ! Never again will I let my guard down with any T. I need to make a mental note and have a catch cup just in case one of them do succeed in making a run for it. You never know...
My best escape artist is my H. chillensis. All you have to do is open the lid and she goes up right the wall and out. She knows the lid is gone. Oddly, many people over years have reported the same behavior w/this species. It's rather unique it seems.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
I have an Aname sp. Gold (not a T but lesson applies) that on one occasion during feeding decided to just launch onto my arm and stroll around. Luckily at the time i had already got to know how to somewhat manage her on my hand during rehousing and she wasnt particularly aggressive. While neither of us were injured, she ended up on my back and after 10 minutes i managed to get her back into her container with the cricket still in her mouth! I have never treated any of my spiders the same way after that, since i got complacent thinking an inability to climb plastic would prevent escape
20190926_204858.jpg 20190926_204424.jpg

arctichen

Arachnopeon
One time I was cleaning my P. regalis sling enclosure, and when I was done and tried to put it back in it bolted up my arm and stopped right before my sleeve (I had short sleeves). Thankfully I catched it, but that was pretty scary ngl, and I'm thankful that it was only a sling, can you imagine that with an adult? :embarrassed:

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member

So did you get into a fist fight with your tarantula over it and lose or something? I know they are strong for arthropods, but you're stronger. :rofl: My Brachypelma females sometimes do the same thing and push on the lid when I have it unlatched but they're not aggressive about it. Just one gentle push with my hand or a paintbrush and they run down and to the opposite side of the enclosure. Bunch of big babies if you ask me.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
It does concern me, since my heavy bodied terrestrials are in shallow enclosures that are shorter than their adult stretched out leg span. When I see that type of behaviour, I usually start putting an elastic band around the enclosure, or make sure they aren't in the top enclosure in a stack.

Jess S

Arachnobaron
I pop a couple of binder/foldback/bulldog (call them what you will!) clips to secure my lids. I started doing it for peace of mind as I have a kid and a cat. The enclosures are on hard to reach shelves but you never know...
After reading @Vanessa's comment, I now have another good reason for the clips!

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I have an Aname sp. Gold (not a T but lesson applies) that on one occasion during feeding decided to just launch onto my arm and stroll around. Luckily at the time i had already got to know how to somewhat manage her on my hand during rehousing and she wasnt particularly aggressive. While neither of us were injured, she ended up on my back and after 10 minutes i managed to get her back into her container with the cricket still in her mouth! I have never treated any of my spiders the same way after that, since i got complacent thinking an inability to climb plastic would prevent escape
View attachment 342947 View attachment 342948
Obviously not good that she got out and climbed up your back, but she's beautiful!

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
A while back I got complacent when feeding my P. cambridgei. I was trying to show her feeding response to someone by tong feeding her a cricket (mistake!) and she instead ran up the tongs at lightning speed, practically teleporting. Thankfully she didn't escape or come close to biting me, but I certainly learned a lesson that day.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A while back I got complacent when feeding my P. cambridgei. I was trying to show her feeding response to someone by tong feeding her a cricket (mistake!) and she instead ran up the tongs at lightning speed, practically teleporting. Thankfully she didn't escape or come close to biting me, but I certainly learned a lesson that day.
This. If a T started going up my tongs, I'm not sure I would keep calm enough to let it crawl around. Would probably drop them as a result :/

I make a point to keep my hands out of cage at all time and I never tong feed, I prefer to observe the T hunting on its own. So far, so good. *Knocks on wood*

Royalty

Arachnoknight
My one LP sling is under a half inch, really tiny. This one I have grown used to it being out and pretty cill when I open the cup for feeding it. Today it ran around the enclosure pretty wild and hid under some of the moss. It was almost surprising to see since I got used to it just sitting there. I alway feel bad when I startle my slings when it is food/water time, but at least they feel secure in their hides.

Royalty

Arachnoknight
This. If a T started going up my tongs, I'm not sure I would keep calm enough to let it crawl around. Would probably drop them as a result :/

I make a point to keep my hands out of cage at all time and I never tong feed, I prefer to observe the T hunting on its own. So far, so good. *Knocks on wood*
I love waiting for my I.Mira to strike. It can take patience. I sometimes brush the top of the hole with my paintbrush to let her know about food when I use a mealworm/small superworm.

mss0031

Arachnopeon
The one enclosure I absolutely refuse to put my hands in for any reason is my G. rosea rcf's enclosure. The little dude is the boldest animal I've ever seen and will strike at anything.

DarkInvader

Arachnopeon
No matter how slow or calm my T's have been in the past if Im doing maintenance on the enclosure I treat them all the same...I have my eye on you at all times:embarrassed:. I also like to work on the floor instead of a table for that reason. I have some Brachys bolt as fast as my pokies. you never wanna risk your pet just because they "have" always been slow and calm.

ignithium

Arachnoknight
I have few Phoneutria that like to running up my tongs :rofl::rofl: always fun time just make sure have few shot of vodka before feeding to steady the hand {D{D