Not sure what it is.

nics

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
New pics in about 20 minutes, have to wait for dad to leave he doesn't know about the scorp yet.
{D lmao my dad freaked out to about my scorps before.

yeah looks like a heterometrus sp.

how big is it?

silvertears

Arachnopeon
He doesn't freak he just doesn't want me having any more animals. But I paid for it myself so he can deal with it. It's only about .5-1" right now. The store only sells babys never seen them sell an adult.

StreetTrash

Arachnoknight
Care for most Heterometrus scorpions will be similar to care for an Emperor scorpion. They are tropical forest scorpions and require high humidity. Definitely change it off the sand, and keep the coco fiber or peat moist, not wet. Temperatures in the mid eighties will be fine.

Roy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
sp refers to specie, it's used when a person is unsure of the specific specie they have of said genus

I would also ask where you get how a Vaejovis spinigerus has color or a chela shape of that.
I did not even look at the pictures, truth be told. I was referring specifically to the Original Poster's question of -

"....but I picked up a scorpion and it said Vaejovis Spinigerus - striped devil scorp. But the top said H. SP. What are the differences of these 2 species or are there none?......."

and I inferred that he was asking if there is a difference between Vaejovis Spinigerus and a synonymous species starting with H....(Hoffmanius, as is revised from the old name of Vaejovis)

Just surprised that no one brought up (from the first post, that is, otherwise I stand corrected from the picture ID) that there might be confusion between the old and revised first letters of the genus names

Last edited:

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I did not even look at the pictures, truth be told. I was referring specifically to the Original Poster's question of -

"....but I picked up a scorpion and it said Vaejovis Spinigerus - striped devil scorp. But the top said H. SP. What are the differences of these 2 species or are there none?......."

and I inferred that he was asking if there is a difference between Vaejovis Spinigerus and a synonymous species starting with H....(Hoffmanius, as is revised from the old name of Vaejovis)

Just surprised that no one brought up (from the first post, that is, otherwise I stand corrected from the picture ID) that there might be confusion between the old and revised first letters of the genus names
Most people still use Vaejovis. Not sure why. I do prefer Vaejovis, sounds better. Also heard the article wasn't well received scientifically, such is why people still use the old genus name.

Roy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah I read the old thread concerning the revisions and all the disagreements but the revised names was something that I felt the Original Poster should be aware of, in case he's googling caresheets and was wondering.

But yes, Heterometrus species are a lot of fun, I agree with you there :)

Hopefully it's a H. laoticus, as they are the prettiest out of the whole genus with their shiny, non-granulated, non-blemished carapaces.

silvertears

Arachnopeon
So I will grow it out to get a better ID on it. And to all saying "he" I would be female. With a rough idea on what it is would it be safe to keep a group of 3-4 in a 10gl? Possibly a 20 long when I get cages build and animals rearragned.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Judging from the shape of the chela and the vesicle of the aculeus, it is a Heterometrus and indeed, because it lacks the important taqxonomical characters, because it is a juvenile, you would have to wait untill it is adult before you can ID it correctly....

silvertears

Arachnopeon
Knowing the type helped more then a positive ID, so I know how to care for it properly. Thanks everyone for the help.

silvertears

Arachnopeon
Seams how he is small right now I was going to do about 2" deep and put a quarter of it with moss. Temp is at lowest 80. I mist daily or 2 times a day. I have tropical lizards so when I mist them he will get his caged done.

Xanthopus

Arachnoknight
Full grown heterometrus should be given deep substrate, i suggest about 15-20cm. Thats the thickness of my substrate for my Sub adult and he is happy making many many burrows until i cant even see him :wall:

silvertears

Arachnopeon
Thank you, with a 10gl about 5" of ecoearth, would I need a lid for it or does it not matter?

llamastick

Arachnoknight
You'll probably want a lid to keep in moisture. You can care for heterometrus species exactly the same as p.imperator, really.

silvertears

Arachnopeon
I ask because people tell me not to put holes in reptile enclosures at all so that is what brought up that question.