Not adding moisture to slings' substrate a week?

Sharno

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I may have to go out of town for 5-7 days so I won't be keeping an eye on the substrate of my slings' enclosures. I don't over-moisten them, but every few days I may add a little water to the surface as we've had some pretty hot days in a row here and very warm day time highs. I doubt any of the substrates would totally 'dry out' in a matter of 5-7 days, but I wonder if I would do more harm by "over saturating" a little to overcompensate the day I leave, making sure the substrate is plenty moist, but not soggy.

I could also use it as a time to move them all into slightly larger quarters and clean up the messes to ensure their substrate is fresh and that perfect "just created eco earth, fluffy and moist but not dried out."

Is there more risk in "overwatering" the the surface on the way out, or "overdrying them out" by not moistening them up before I go?

Legion09

Arachnoknight
I've read a lot of people who say they only mist their slings once a week. I do so maybe once a week or 5 days or so. I'm sure they'll be fine. :)

peterUK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you are worried about the humidity for the sling(s) just put the sling tubs into a larger container that has a lid, with an open topped container full of water (jug or mug). This will ensure that the area surrounding sling tubs has a higher humidity than the room but will not create an overly wet sling tub. (If all that makes sense !)

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
I would suggest not over saturation to compensate for the length of time gone. that will cause more problems then solve. really not sure how old the sling is but i think a week will not kill the sling with humidity being low. what substrate are you using? I have a ton of haplopelma sling (species that need high humidity) and I have not misted at all since i have had them which is about a month now some have molted all ready and have not had any problems. I find the substrate that is used is key to good humidity I use peat moss and coco fiber and they keep humidity ridiculously. so a week away should not be a problem if all your worry about is humidity.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I keep my slings a little dryer than most do. I usually give the substrate a partial soaking, and mist the sides of the vials/cups for something to drink from. Then i will let them completely dry out, and leave them dry for a few days before watering again, unless i notice they are getting ready to molt. Never had any problems with it.

Zman181

Arachnoknight
I keep my slings a little dryer than most do. I usually give the substrate a partial soaking, and mist the sides of the vials/cups for something to drink from. Then i will let them completely dry out, and leave them dry for a few days before watering again, unless i notice they are getting ready to molt. Never had any problems with it.
I do too. The slings I recieved from you are doing great by the way.