Normal?

TaylorW

Arachnopeon
i bought a G. rosea from the pet store about 7 months ago. when i first saw it i was instantly concerned because they had it in a enclosure with 2 other rosea's and it was eating one. my rosea hasnt eaten for the past 2 months and at first i wasnt too worried cause of the pet rock nickname, but now its been 2 months. i started thinking well maybe its in premolt but 2 months o_O. any thoughts?

yodaxtreme545

Arachnosquire
G. Roasea's are very strange in nature. They have mood swings and will go on fasts which is possible what he/she is doing now. Do you know the sex? If you don't know and if you need to know how to sex them, there a threads here that explain. If you are experienced wi T's then I wasn't trying to insult your intelligence. The best you can do is make sure you Ross your T's ( no pun intended but funny ) and dot your eyes. There are cases where T's have gone a lot longer without eating. Try to to worry About it.

Thomas2015

Arachnopeon
Everything Yoda said too. Also you can check the abdomen: as long as it looks round and plump without any indentations or wrinkles then he's probably fine. Just keep offering food about once a week or every two weeks, and if he doesn't eat, remove the food item. My Rosea's would all go on long seasonal fasts that could last three to four months, or even longer.

goodoldneon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I almost can't believe I'm saying this - but since this poor horse has been battered repeatedly, ad nauseam - become one with the search function.

TaylorW

Arachnopeon
I almost can't believe I'm saying this - but since this poor horse has been battered repeatedly, ad nauseam - become one with the search function.
hmm well maybe i wanted a personalized reply from an experienced T owner. I can't believe I have to say this - if you have nothing to say in response to the ? move on and keep your pointless post to yourself

Kazaam

Arachnobaron
Roseas randomly fast for no reason at all, 2 months is nothing for them, you should start worrying after a year.

TaylorW

Arachnopeon
Roseas randomly fast for no reason at all, 2 months is nothing for them, you should start worrying after a year.
the reason i was worried is cause i had read that they can go up to a month without eating occasionally. so i just wanted another point of view. thank you for your reply and thank you to the others who replied

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Actually, it's not "out of no reason at all", especially if in Europe their annual cycle seasonal wise gets messed up completely and they take time to adjust to that.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
...i wanted a personalized reply...
Ah, someone from the Me, Me, Me generation... >>>sigh<<<
I'm sure Stan will be along shortly and offer his personalized copy/paste 'Newbie/G. rosea How To' post.
As others have replied countless times in countless posts to the same countless questions:

There are cases where T's have gone a lot longer without eating. Try [not] to worry About it.
check the abdomen: as long as it looks round and plump without any indentations or wrinkles then he's probably fine.
Roseas [may seemingly] randomly fast..., 2 months is nothing for them
[If wild caught] their annual cycle seasonal wise gets messed up completely and they take time to adjust to that.
To Storm's reply I would add: some may never get out of the southern hemisphere cycle. I believe it is currently early spring in the Atacama.

How big is your G. rosea?
You've had it seven months, and it hasn't eaten in two months. How frequently and what were you feeding before it started 'fasting'? It could just be full, especially if it's last meal before you acquired it was another similarly sized tarantula.
Tarantulas have slow metabolisms. Over feed them, and most will eventually 'fast' to allow their metabolisms to catch up.

Gnat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
about 4 years ago my ex-wife had a G. rosea. (she had it for around 3 years before we married) It one time went almost a year without eating, in that same span it went around 4 months without moving at all, the only time it moved was when she poked it to see if it was still alive. As far as I know she still has the same spider

Alltheworld601

Arachnoangel
I have to add this.

You said the one you got was eating another one when you got it, right? I think that means its full. Its not like eating a cricket. It ate an entire other tarantula. He/She could be full for QUITE a long time.

Correct me if I misread your original post though.

Also, that makes me want to slap the #(&^!*!)^*($%&$^$ out of whoever runs that pet store.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Most pet stores don't care about husbandry conditions as long as they can make a sale, but what you described is an entirely new level of dumb.

Check out this page for some insight into why your rosea is fasting:

http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/roses.html

Believe me, two months is nothing!

goodoldneon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hmm well maybe i wanted a personalized reply from an experienced T owner. I can't believe I have to say this - if you have nothing to say in response to the ? move on and keep your pointless post to yourself
Perhaps a unique question would have warranted a "personalized reply" - but your question is one that is asked daily - or at least several times a week. A quick Google search (putting Arachnoboards aside for the moment) would have answered it. Insofar as a personalized reply - assuming there is something wrong with your tarantula, could anyone here tell you why based on a "My tarantula isn't eating" post?

I may be coming across as a jerk, and I'm OK with that - for what it's worth, I highly recommend The Tarantula Keepers Guide - it will answer the vast majority of your questions - and maybe even provide answers to questions you haven't even thought of, yet.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
......and another one bites the dust. ;P

Formerphobe said:
Ah, someone from the Me, Me, Me generation... >>>sigh<<<
:worship:

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
I hate to ask some of you for the time if we were to ever bump into each other on the street. "I'd give you the time but you see, it's such an easy question that's been asked billions of times by billions of people. Go find a clock."

Way to help a fellow human being...

My G. rosea doesn't even eat anymore. She kills the cricket and possibly takes a few sips. They have been reported to got over 2 years. There have been anecdotal reports of up to 3 years.

As previously stated, if she has a plump abdomen she's probably completely fine. Just add a water dish so she can drink. Dehydration is much more of a risk than starvation. Although the two are closely related being that they get most of their hydration from the food they eat but you get the point.

Y'all come back now, ya here?

goodoldneon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I hate to ask some of you for the time if we were to ever bump into each other on the street. "I'd give you the time but you see, it's such an easy question that's been asked billions of times by billions of people. Go find a clock."
Except in this case the guy is pretty much holding a clock, but doesn't feel like using it - or simply can't be bothered.

I view it more as - hey, I need to know the time but the clock is in the other room and I don't feel like getting up, could you go look at it and then return with the time?

Google + G. rosea not eating =

About 47,300 results (0.13 seconds) Admittedly these results are not "personalized" - but such is life.

http://www.google.com/search?q=g.+r...=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1&rlz=1I7ADFA_en

Last edited:

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Ah ha but his clock was already found, he just wanted to chat about the time. ;)

If I were to bump into someone on the street to talk spiders, I would answer all their questions to the best of my ability because all the information they need is not a few keystrokes away. I probably wouldn't chat about the time because it's boring. :D

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
Points taken ;).

I still think the "search patrol" can be a bit harsh. They're not as bad as the "I'm right and you're wrong even though I have absolutely nothing to back up any of my claims police."

Maybe offer an answer and nicely suggest searching google or this site first? I TRY not to send out negative energy unless I'm personally offended or treated badly. Many times I've read something on here for the billionth time but I just either try to help or sigh it off. That's just me though.

Or you can just: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=chilean+rose+hair+not+eating.+

To the OP. A little research first then ask questions :). Now ya know!