Noob questions =) enjoy

Charnoble

Arachnopeon
Hello,
Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't find a related topic when I used the search engine. If it sounds like I don't know anything, that is because it is true.

I am having trouble deciding on a place for my terrarium. I have been doing my reading and know about several issues dealing with light and such. Anyway, hear are my questions:

I have heard that direct sunlight is bad, but the spider still needs to be able to distinguish night from day. If the tarantula was out of direct sunlight but had a view of the window to outside, is that appropriate? Or is that too much light?

2nd, Will the sound or vibrations from electronic equipment agitate a a tarantula. I am thinking of putting he/she on my computer desk next to the CPU. Is that ok? will typing make he/she mad?

3rd, What about noise levels? I have found that there is very little information on the hearing ability/bristle vibration feeling (or whatever) of tarantulas. In your guys' experience what is good/bad, right/wrong, too much?

Thank you very much for your time,
Me,
Charnoble

Charnoble

Arachnopeon
btw, I will be getting a Chilean Rose. Information specific to this species and tarantulas in general would both be helpful (just in case I get more in the future).

Thanks again,
Me,
Charnoble

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
They'll be fine as long as they aren't in direct sunlight (i.e. in a windowsill). As for vibrations - I have two of mine on the top of my computer desk with no problems. Then again, I also rarely use my speakers.

aaronrefalo

Arachnolord
Old Timer
as long that a disco sort of is not entering ur room no problems....normal halogen tube sould be fine for T....bdw welcome on AB..

Aaron

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Welcome to AB! Definately read the STICKY- Rose hair owners please read- how to REALLY take care of your G.rosea. That info is invaluable. There is a big debate about light- alot of people keep their T's in closets, in darkness 24/7. I believe they need to have (filtered) natural light, and alot of people agree with me! I've noticed that some of my T's go to the glass and place a couple of feet on it while I'm playing my stereo (it's not in the same room). Most of them don't seem to notice. You are gonna love your new rosea! They are vastly underrated, IMHO!

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You don't have to stress so much about things like noise from the computer or whether or not sunlight enters the room. In nature, the T's are exposed to day and night, and IMHO they should be able to have some sort of day/night cycle bec it is natural for them. Of course, as has been stated, direct sunlight is not a good thing. Be sure your T has a place to hide. If you notice that it gets stressed from noise, like it darts around the enclosure when you turn on the computer, you can alway make adjustments.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
About putting T's on your computer table... put your ear on the table and listen to that noise. That's what the T's gonna hear as soon as you start up your machine. I think it can do without that, eventho it won't be killing it or stuff like that, I DO believe it will have a bit of a harder time to hunt.

I don't know tho, maybe the T will be able to compensate for the vibrations, but those are by very regular. Every time your harddrive clicks the T will know it and that is something about as irregular as it gets.

My advice, eventho it might be nice to be able to look at them as soon as you sit down, you'r T can get a better spot than that.

Charlie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Noise

I have always wondered if tarantulas adapted to different noise levels. What I mean is that at the pet store with alll those people tapping or banging on the glass trying to get the T to move do they just get used to it?

Are they able to eventually differentiate between some Moron banging on the glass and an actuall threat or between slight computer vibrations and potential prey?

Kept my first T on the computer desk for years without a problem by the way.

-Charlie

Nia

Arachnopeon
Charnoble, something you didn't mention in your post.. which direction the window faces, if it is direct sunlight coming in the window. For instance my spider room is on the south side of the house... direct sunlight comes in the window and hits the entire north wall :( making it a bad place to be for any creature in a tank... the sun cooks them. This also means that the sun will travel to the northern portions of the east and west walls as well. You have to be careful of early morning sun in an east facing room, and late afternoon sun in a west facing room. Ideally I would want my spider room on the north side of the house because of the sunlight, but then I would have the smallest room in the house for all of my stuff... and I gotta a lot of stuff lol.