Noob ?my hatian brown molted what now

The_Sandman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i just purchased this T last week along with some LP slings and the haitian brown has molted today, how long before he/she hardens and starts to eat. also when can i fish out the old carcass.

Twistedrayne

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was told to let their fangs turn black before feeding them, last I heard it took up to a week. You don't want to stress your T too much, so I'd leave it in for a while unless you plan on sexing it. I'd take the molt out as soon as the T gets far enough away from it.

I wouldn't JUST follow my advice, I'm going off what I've read on here before. I just had my first molt a week ago, but I've had tarantula's for about a year now.

The_Sandman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
do you know if the old carcass(molt) smells i dont want it stinking up my living room since that is where i keep the T

Roland Slinger

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I also only had molt.

In my case, I personally removed the molt a few minutes after it was completely out of its old skin. I think it was a bad move because it freaked out and flipped upright on its legs instead of resting on its back for a bit. So I don't recommend it.

I heard that if they molt in their hide, they will eventually push the old molt out. T's are very clean creatures and don't want dead skin in their home just like you wouldn't want a body lying around in your bedroom. So just wait for that.

If it molted in the open, just grab it whenever.

You can usually tell if your T is ready to eat. Again, if it molted in its hide, it will stay there until it has hardened up. It will only come out when it's ready to face the world again.

But a sure way to tell is when its fangs turn black (when they hardened up)