Noob here: Any experience with the Israeli Black tarantula?

Primus DCE

Arachnopeon
I want to start off and say that I am a newbie to the hobby. I currently only have a g. rosea, and she is the perfect starter. Of all the time I have had her she hasn't even kicked a single hair at me, and has been a complete joy to learn from.

Now I am looking to expand my knowledge in the hobby and I have come across a seller who is offering a few new choices that I am probably going to pull the trigger on. The first two available are a Salmon Pink and a Santo Domingo Goliath. The Pink was described as very docile, while the Goliath is a hair kicker. I am pretty confident I can handle these two and will most definitely be picking these two up this week.

I am on the fence on the third T, which is an Israeli Black. I know this fits under the Old World flag, and I am pretty intimidated by it, as I know I will have to do a transfer in the near future and I do not want to get tagged, or put it in any bad situation. I have found very little info on this species online, but a few places have said they are very fast and very aggressive. Can anyone confirm this? The seller is saying he has had no issues with it, but part of me feels he is just trying to offload it.

Do you think this is a suitable T for me to be picking up with my limited knowledge? Thanks for any opinions.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I would say no.. those other two would be great for learning defensive behaviour. A Ceratogyrus would make a good next spider after learning these next two.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Well, in general Israel is more famous (on that sense, the arachnid one) for scorpions.

Anyway if I'm not wrong (and btw common names are a pain to deal with, in those kind of situations) to me you seem to talk about C.olivaceum, or, however, that genus (Chaetopelma).

It's the same story... fast, prone to bite T's. Venom as far as I know isn't bad like P.murinus, S.calceatum, 'pokies' in general. Care seems pretty easy for my views, even if I've never owned one.

I don't think that kind of Theraphosidae is suitable for someone that never had a bit of 'thrill' when it comes to move and deal with certain T's but at the end of the day, my man, you are adult and IMO from your avatar you look kinda Johnny Depp in a modern Jesus Christ movie (ah ah, joking, I love to joke man) so my opinion is, despite what I've said, that the final choice is yours :)

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Do not get an OW yet, your G. rosea has NOT properly prepared you for the speed of an OW tarantula. Even the slowest OW will smoke a G. rosea in a foot race then come back and eat them just for fun before you can blink.

The Salmon Pink is Lasiodora parahybana and is not a bad second tarantula, you would probably do well with it. The Santo Domingo Goliath is a Pamphobeteus sp. "Santo Domingo Goliath" and might be better after a bit more experience.

That said, the above two tarantulas are kept very differently from your G. rosea so you can't keep them the same and will need to research their specific needs.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
What are the scientific names of these Ts? Salmon pink I imagine is Lasiodora parahybana. Santo Domingo Goliath is a Pamphobeteus I believe? People here on Arachnoboards demand scientific names, as it clears up any ambiguity. I think a pampho and an LP will test your abilities enough, as they are big and very food aggressive compared to your rosea. If you are already feeling intimidated by the idea of an old world, then definitely now is not the right time

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
What are the scientific names of these Ts? Salmon pink I imagine is Lasiodora parahybana. Santo Domingo Goliath is a Pamphobeteus I believe? People here on Arachnoboards demand scientific names, as it clears up any ambiguity. I think a pampho and an LP will test your abilities enough, as they are big and very food aggressive compared to your rosea. If you are already feeling intimidated by the idea of an old world, then definitely now is not the right time
Pamphobeteus sp Santa Domingo Goliath. So yes, a pamphobeteus.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Technically let me add this.

Aside for more inches of substrate, and, if present always better, a piece of cork bark, as far as I know C.olivaceum and G.rosea parameters are however similar: go with bone dry substrate and a full water dish and, for a juve/adult, that is enough.

Granted, temperament and venom potency is where all the differences enters.

cold blood

Staff member
Of all the time I have had her she hasn't even kicked a single hair at me, and has been a complete joy to learn from.
I started the same...and they can be a good beginner, but in fact, because of the slow way they do everything, they can be one of the hardest ts to learn things from.

For example, I had mine 4 years and still hadn't experienced a first molt....they are the fasting champions of the t world, with about the lowest food requirements. This means a lot of uneaten prey when they are "off" and an incredible amount of inactivity for significant periods of time.

And because they don't flick, it makes identifying pre molt difficult if it wasn't bad enough that fasting isn't an indicator for the species unless its over 6 months, even then, it isn't always.

Keep it dry with a water dish, be aware that they rarely use hides and don't become concerned if it refuses food...mine eats once or twice a month, one decently sized feeder per...the more you feed, the longer and more often it will fast....which gets old after a while.

I had mine for 9 years before I got a B. smithi sling and a young G. pulchripes....learned more from those 2 in a month than I ever learned from the rose hair.
The Pink was described as very docile
That was just a lie.

Lasiodora parayabana is a fast growing, large terrestrial (7-8", despite what you were told), food driven spider. They can be flicky and quick to rush movement within the cage. Theyre also dirt dirt cheap, so only buy it if its really cheap. They are an easy keep and something you could handle and learn a lot from...theyre just boring looking.
the Goliath is a hair kicker
No more than the "pink", or the Lasiodora parayabana.

They also are exceptionally food motivated and require damp substrate...a little tougher keep, but not rocket science. This genus, assuming its a Pamphobetus, is a highly desired one...they are the kiings of food motivated.
Israeli Black
No one will have any clue what that is, please provide a scientific name....if one doesn't know the scientific name, they do not know what they have.

the Old World flag,
Yeah, red flags all over the place...I think my dog just tripped over one.:astonished:

. I have found very little info on this species online, but a few places have said they are very fast and very aggressive. Can anyone confirm this?
All Old worlds are very fast, and all have significant venom...most also have tendencies to be exceptionally defensive.
The seller is saying he has had no issues with it
I gaurantee that the seller is very experienced...you are not....you are totally unprepared. You have other fantastic options as long as the prices are right...but shop the classifieds here, you can find great deals on all kinds of really desirable beginner ts...there's a lot of really cool ones, like G. pulchripes for instance.

Do you think this is a suitable T for me to be picking up with my limited knowledge
Nope.

Primus DCE

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the great feedback guys. Sorry about the common names (this is my first post so be gentle with me). To avoid any confusion, here is what was offered:

Brazilian Salmon Pink (Lasiodora Parahybana) FEMALE 5.5 inches
Santo Domingo Goliath (Pamphobeteus sp. 'Goliath') FEMALE 4.5 inches
Israeli Black (Chaetopelma olivaceum) UNSEXED 1 inch

I think I am going to go with my gut and all of your sound advice and definitely decline the Chaetopelma olivaceum. So the other two are more in my league? The seller said he keeps all three at room temperature with no special requirements. Is this incorrect?

I really appreciate the info, I do not want to put any animal or myself in a bad situation.

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Thanks for all the great feedback guys. Sorry about the common names (this is my first post so be gentle with me). To avoid any confusion, here is what was offered:

Brazilian Salmon Pink (Lasiodora Parahybana) FEMALE 5.5 inches
Santo Domingo Goliath (Pamphobeteus sp. 'Goliath') FEMALE 4.5 inches
Israeli Black (Chaetopelma olivaceum) UNSEXED 1 inch

I think I am going to go with my gut and all of your sound advice and definitely decline the Chaetopelma olivaceum. So the other two are more in my league? The seller said he keeps all three at room temperature with no special requirements. Is this incorrect?

I really appreciate the info, I do not want to put any animal or myself in a bad situation.
My guess was right... C.olivaceum. There aren't that much of T's in Israel and in the local area, anyway :)

I personally love L.parahybana, it's incredible the 'dislike' those lovely receive... they are gentle giants :kiss:

Primus DCE

Arachnopeon
My guess was right... C.olivaceum. There aren't that much of T's in Israel and in the local area, anyway :)

I personally love L.parahybana, it's incredible the 'dislike' those lovely receive... they are gentle giants :kiss:
Yeah, I think I will be picking this, and only this one up. I am excited.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
The pamphobeteus sp is a very desirable spider. They do like it wetter but the payoff is great. I'd much prefer it to the Lasiodora. Although perhaps its a good idea for a beginner.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
The pamphobeteus sp is a very desirable spider. They do like it wetter but the payoff is great. I'd much prefer it to the Lasiodora. Although perhaps its a good idea for a beginner.
I admit, I loved my Pamphos far more than I love my Lasiodora klugi. Though, I have to say, it is the -funniest- tarantula I've ever seen. Even though it has a hide, the minute I open up the enclosure it darts in a few different directions like a confused cartoon character-- then immediately dives headfirst into the soil it's stopped on top of and tries to go straight down into the sphagnum/coir. It's still small so I'm sure it will get more confident with size and age.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I admit, I loved my Pamphos far more than I love my Lasiodora klugi. Though, I have to say, it is the -funniest- tarantula I've ever seen. Even though it has a hide, the minute I open up the enclosure it darts in a few different directions like a confused cartoon character-- then immediately dives headfirst into the soil it's stopped on top of and tries to go straight down into the sphagnum/coir. It's still small so I'm sure it will get more confident with size and age.
That sounds hilarious lol I should get one someday. Shame they're so prciy up here.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
You'll like the L. parahybana. Big, kinda feisty (but skittish in my experience), and I have never agreed that they are unattractive, which of course is a matter of taste. fast growers, too.
Here is a side-by-side comparison of herover a couple years. The first was at arrival, September 9th 2014. The second was after her last moult, on June 25th 2016. The stick i put there for scale was 4 inches, (I think). She is entering pre-moult currently, and I expect her to moult again this month, maybe a bit later.

m_IMG_3028-tile.jpg

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I guess you mean Chaetopelma olivaceum when you say 'Israel Black'.

These are found not only in Israel, but in Egypt, Sudan, Turkey, Cyprus and the eastern islands of Greece. And depending on which of these locations they are originally from they will differ in colour. Israel being black, Egypt and Turkey being brown, the ones from Europe being silver.

This species is the only European tarantula species but is also classed as a Baboon spider. They will grow to 5 inches in leg span at a medium growth rate. They are extremely fast and skittish. Prone to throwing tantrums. Their venom isnt as bad as most other old world species. They certainly are feisty. They lay down lots of webbing too. Making enclosures look awesome.

It truely is a great species. Though the difference from a Rosie is huge. Maybe the other members suggestions are better. But at the end of the day it is up to yourself.

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
@Primus DCE
Welcome to a fantastic hobby!
Others filled you in well I see, however, I wish to add a few things.

Out of personal experience, I have to disagree with those that repeat the mantra of "xy NW won't prepare you for the speed of an OW Tarantula!".
Well, no NW will in the end 'prepare' you, it is a certain risk that just comes with the territory and can only be tackled with research, honesty and confidence, in addition to 'basic experience' with tarantulas in general.

If you do good research, you know what to expect and what to do.
If you're honest about your abilities and think you can handle it, you will be fine.

This weird "hands off of OW until you had 5.5 NW species in 7.23 years in the hobby!" mantra is nonsense in my honest opinion.
What if there would be no NW tarantulas?
Or what if NWs would be just as fast and defensive?
Then no one here should be in this hobby, according to that logic.

You gotta start somewhere, and while NW are definitely recommended to start with, I see no reason not to move on to OW as soon as you understand theraposidae and feel comfortable with your husbandry.

You learn pistol shooting by shooting a pistol.
Firing a crossbow 10.000 times won't do much in that regard.

I started in January with a G. pulchra, added an A. geniculata in March and in June I got my first OW, the "oh-so-terrible" P. murinus - and it's fine.

Why would it not be?

She is in her enclosure 24/7 and already received her final tank. Yes, I was nervous during rehousing, of course, but there's just so much you can do and prepare for, so how would rehousing 100 NW help in that situation? It won't.

If an OW decides to teleport, it will teleport.

As long as you did your research, got the basics down and are confident that you're ready, you're good to go in my book but in the end you will know best.

For now enjoy your new addition, but don't be afraid/discouraged. Just because sone treat these beautiful and interesting OW species as if they are part of some black magic death cult... I mean they are, but still... Get them if you feel ready! ;)

Last edited:

Primus DCE

Arachnopeon
What makes the pamphobeteus desirable? Is it just a relatively rarer find in the hobby, or simply considered prettier?

Aside from the humidity requirements, what else should I be considering that makes it less of an ideal fit for me than the Lasiodora? Is it much more aggressive? Is the care drastically different?

Thanks again for all the info guys, this is a great community.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
What makes the pamphobeteus desirable? Is it just a relatively rarer find in the hobby, or simply considered prettier?
Both. It really comes down to personal preference. The pampho is worth much more, and if you stay in this hobby for long your bound to end up with some lasiodora freebies. I would get the pamphobeteus and buy some cheap LP slings if you want to experience both species.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
The Pink was described as very docile
That was just a lie.
As @cold blood said, that's equine faecal matter. Mine is extremely skittish, kicks hairs for fun, the hairs are by far the worst I've dealt with so far and she's prone to bolting in random directions when I open up her enclosure, she's actually the least favourite Tarantula I own (I have been given surprise freebies of species I had no interest in owning and I prefer those to my LP), her only redeeming feature is that her feeding response is even more over the top than that of my A. geniculata.

You could probably get one as a freebie (they lay 1500+ eggs per sac so people struggle to even give them away) if you look hard enough, they are easy to keep but I'm just not a fan.

Though, I have to say, it is the -funniest- tarantula I've ever seen. Even though it has a hide, the minute I open up the enclosure it darts in a few different directions like a confused cartoon character-- then immediately dives headfirst into the soil it's stopped on top of and tries to go straight down into the sphagnum/coir. It's still small so I'm sure it will get more confident with size and age.
My LP is nearly 6" and still does exactly that (on the occasions she decides not to try to hair me to death), the novelty has kinda worn off now.

I am on the fence on the third T, which is an Israeli Black.
Hold off on this one until you have more experience with fiestier NW species.