No spiders allowed. This is ridiculous

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well today I returned to my dorm room after lunch and to my surprise, my resident adviser and an area coordinator(AC) were in my dorm without my or any of my roommate's permission. Turns out it was an "unannounced health inspection" which is allowed by the school. Anyway, the AC points out 7 spiders in containers in my dorm, including 2 Ceratogyrus darlingi and 1 Psalmopoeus cambridgei. The other spiders include 2 wolf spiders and an agelenid, which were all found inside this same exact dorm building, the agelenid was actually found in the room we were all standing in!

Then he went on to tell me that since they are not "freshwater fish in a tank of 10 gallons or less" that they have to go immediately, even though I lack a car and home is over an hour away.

Luckily I have a temporary home set up for them until I can get them again, but seriously this is outrageous. All of my roommates were comfortable with them and even found them cool, and now they gotta go. I am very outraged at this and the campus rules. The AC even told me that ast night there were reports of a smell(which was a caterpillar given to me by a professor that died of parasitism) and tips that I may be keeping stuff(based on the fact that I disposed of this caterpillar), and those were enough to do a "health inspection." I don't know why they'd do an unannounced health inspection...do they expect to catch a cold virus snooping through the dorms? I understand that suspicious smells are a reason to be concerned, but considering the fact that the RA was right at the door last night as I explained to my roommates that it was a dead caterpillar given to me by a professor. He even laughed about it! Why no just have said something there and then? Idk...I'm petitioning this "no pets besides fish" on campus rule. There's nothing wrong with pet spiders or rats or snakes(just a few pets I've seen other people have in their dorms).

Tapahtyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
sorry to hear about your situation! I hope something can be done about keeping them. It really sucks when it comes to pets and you end up not having any options like family or another place to transfer them to. Put them in an enclosed bookcase that way they are covered in hiding!! No one would know unless they opened it? IDK it's an idea.....good luck

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
People are SO weird about allowing certain types of pets!

When looking at apartments for rent, I always have to read the pet rules carefully because I have an American Pit Bull Terrier... and SEVERAL pet rules I was reading the other day said "No Snakes"! Not "no reptiles"... no SNAKES. So I could have lizards and such, but not a snake? A snake. Really guys?

I hope you're able to work something out so you can have your spiders again!

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm not losing them at all. I just want them here. My parents do enough. They don't need my spiders.

I really am going to petition this. How is a spider in an 8 oz jar an inconvenience whereas a 10 gallon aquarium with fish and filter and lighting perfectly ok? Did they not learn about volume in science class? Ugh I am flustered.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Rules are rules.

Teal, a large snake can get out and kill a small child. Big difference between that and a leopard gecko.

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Rules are outrageous.

Teal, a large snake can get out and kill a small child. Big difference between that and a leopard gecko.
fixed. :cool:

this school is loaded with students who aim to work with animals and are passionate about them. hundreds of pets are brought into dorms each year, all of which are practical for dorms. Rats, appropriately sized snakes, leopard geckos, tarantulas etc. These animals don't kill people, are quiet, and simple to maintain. I do not see what problems they cause in a dorm setting.

Stopdroproll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They probably don't want people flipping <edit> if it gets loose which is understandable, but that kind of sucks. If it is cheaper, I'd live off campus if I were you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lucille

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I do not see what problems they cause in a dorm setting.
Rules are rules.

There may be liabiity for them if anything were to happen. They see the world from different eyes than you do.

I feel bad for you, but understand their POV.

MissChelly

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Rules are rules.

Not ALL snakes can/will kill a small child though. Little non-poisonous snakes for instance. Plus, if you're going to say a snake can kill a small child, so can a dog, but that doesn't stop the majority of apartment complexes from allowing them even though I've come across a TON of dog owners who can't raise and/or train a dog to not bite, let alone to not attack. (Thank goodness they allow dogs though considering I have one! :p)

As for the OP, that truly does suck and I hope your petition works. I don't blame you for being the least bit flustered, I'd be just the same. It's good that worst case scenario, you'll have to have your parents take care of them rather than have to give them up though.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer

Tons of things can kill a child, sir.

Light sockets! pools! Most apartment complexes have pools! Etc.

Franklin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Screw that, im going to get a 6' nile monitor. who needs 16' burms..

When i move down to some dorms, ill probably take a 1" sling ;) maybe a 10" molt too ;)

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Rules are rules.

There may be liabiity for them if anything were to happen. They see the world from different eyes than you do.

I feel bad for you, but understand their POV.
It's hard to understand their POV. If they're held liable should something happen, why do they allow Area Coordinators to keep cats as they live in the dorms with students?

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Screw that, im going to get a 6' nile monitor. who needs 16' burms..

When i move down to some dorms, ill probably take a 1" sling ;) maybe a 10" molt too ;)
size doesn't matter. One of the spiders they saw was a wolf spider less than 1 inch that I found in my dorm when I moved in in August.

Jackuul

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Snitches get stitches. Or a female wolf spider with babies in their bed.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I used to keep everything from dart frogs to boas in my dorm room when I was in college. I figured it was a "don't ask, don't tell" kind of thing. Of course, I was also very quiet about it and nobody on my hall knew I had them.

I'm surprised anyone complained about the smell from a dead caterpillar. We were more annoyed with the fresh smell of vomit in the hallways after every weekend. Ah college - I don't miss it.

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Snitches get stitches. Or a female wolf spider with babies in their bed.
Idk if the snitch was intentional or not since one of my roomies mentioned the caterpillar to him the night before. Whatever the case, I'm not focusing on that right now. The Area Coordinator was a complete creep about getting them out immediately, despite the facts that I don't have a car on ccampus and home is about 1.5 hrs away. He said I'd have to pay a fine for each day they stayed, even if I couldn't get home till Friday evening.

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
That's why I commuted the 45 minute drive to college instead of living on campus. I had lots of weird pets and I wasn't about to give them up, and my mother and little brothers certainly weren't to be trusted with them.

apartments are weird too.. Almost every place here has a "no ferrets" rule, but almost everything else is OK. Except pit bulls and huskies, etc, but you know.. breed bans. I'm not a dog person so I don't really care about that.

Sorry about the spiders.. they're so incredibly easy to hide, too... that's just nuts. It's not like a parakeet or something.