no-id millipedes from reptile show

jreidsma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi everyone again :)

Got these large millipedes from the Taylor michigan reptile show. Eight bucks apiece and they were my first buy of the day :D

Probably as long as one of my fingers. I haven't done any measurements yet, its rather late so maybe tomorrow.

wayne the pain

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Looks like they could be Anadenobolus monilicornis ( bumblebee millipede) :smile:

jreidsma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They are curled around some peet moss, that's what was in their container when I bought them.

I will be taking the water dish out in a minute. It is a habit to put water dishes in with everything and I forgot to figure out if millipedes needed them or not :p

I don't think they are bumble bees... it was hard to measure the one that wasn't buried but it was at least 4.5-5" long.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Since you think all the pedes you got are wild caught, that narrows down the range they're probably native to...I still have no idea what kind they are though.

I'd make the substrate a couple inches deeper. If they decide to molt, that might be too shallow for them.

jreidsma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think they said they are from Louisianan... if I am remembering correctly.

I will be adding some more leaflitter/coconutcoir substrate to all the pedes tanks in a day or two.

shebeen

Arachnobaron
Glad to hear it's just peat moss. They're too big to be Bumblees. If I had to guess, I'd say they're Narceus sp., probably N. americanus.

jreidsma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Alright, I will label them "Narceus sp. (americanus probably)" just to be on the safe side.

Thanks everyone for the help :D

millipedegirl

Arachnopeon
Hi! I bought a millipede from the same show. They are N. Americanus for sure, but it is somewhat odd that mine has black legs. I was under the impression they normally have orange legs. I didn't happen to get the name of the dealer, did you?

jreidsma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If I did get the name I have forgotten by now, sorry.

Very cool that you got some millipedes :D

Vinegaroonie

Arachnoknight
So cool! Getting some pedes soon, trying to decide between centipede or millipede. Any suggestions?
N. americanus definitely.

jreidsma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Both ;)

If you are wanting to handle get millipedes.

Really I guess it comes down to personal taste and what you are comfortable with. I don't have very much experience with pedes so I can't help you very much, sorry.