Nhandu Chromatus Keeps Collapsing Tunnels

Therealybtk

Arachnopeon
My Brazilian Red And White sling (3/4") has this odd tendency to collapse the tunnels it digs behind itself. . . is this normal behaviour? I am trying to refrain from digging it out to see if it's okay but I never see it come out anyone else ever experience this?

Cheers!

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
My Brazilian Red And White sling (3/4") has this odd tendency to collapse the tunnels it digs behind itself. . . is this normal behaviour? I am trying to refrain from digging it out to see if it's okay but I never see it come out anyone else ever experience this?

Cheers!
What kind of substrate do you use?

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
One of my Chromatus slings builds a tunnel then digs a different direction and dumps the dirt in it's old tunnel, I have no idea why they do this but they just kind of do it.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
I am using 3 inches of the zoo-med creature soil.
Okay, I´m not familiar with that one, but I assume it´s fine (unless it consists of sand of something of that sort). Tarantulas will normally reenforce their burrows with webbing and whatnot, so maybe it´s just reorganising his enclosure or fooling around. They know how to they dig themselves out, so I wouldn´t worry too much about it.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Okay, I´m not familiar with that one, but I assume it´s fine (unless it consists of sand of something of that sort). Tarantulas will normally reenforce their burrows with webbing and whatnot, so maybe it´s just reorganising his enclosure or fooling around. They know how to they dig themselves out, so I wouldn´t worry too much about it.
It is a mixture peat moss, soil, sand and 'carbon'.

OP sand isn't usually a good medium to allow for burrowing, even in mixes, I'd scrap it.

Therealybtk

Arachnopeon
Awesome thank you guys so much! I'm going to rehouse it and try the coco fiber/top soil and see if that makes a difference.

Cheers!

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Why? The substrate the OP is using is basically just an overpriced soil/peat mix.

I use topsoil and peat, it holds a burrow really well, even when it dries out, just make sure it's packed down tight.

Topsoil is partly made up of sand IIRC.
I remember someone saying they used a sand blend before (I think with Haplopelmas?), on either here or the
FB group, and they were saying that they tarantulas are unable to construct burrows properly. Based on that, I thought that would be the issue. I could be wrong though and I apologize if I am

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I remember someone saying they used a sand blend before (I think with Haplopelmas?), on either here or the
FB group, and they were saying that they tarantulas are unable to construct burrows properly. Based on that, I thought that would be the issue. I could be wrong though and I apologize if I am
In small amounts it's fine, I'd imagine that in very sand-heavy mixes it wouldn't hold up so well though.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
i have also tried varying levels of sand, cocopeat and spagnum moss fragments mixtures and every spider has either hated it and sat in the corner curled up or never dug at all. i just use coco and spag now and this issue has been very noticeably averted

Last edited:

boina

Lady of the mites
OP sand isn't usually a good medium to allow for burrowing, even in mixes,
In small amounts it's fine, I'd imagine that in very sand-heavy mixes it wouldn't hold up so well though.
It very much depends on the type of sand. If I want really good burrowing substrate I mix in sand from my garden. It's very fine grained with a high percentage of clay and kept slightly moist and mixed with coco earth it makes for really stable, perfect burrows. If I use too much of that sand it gets too hard and the tarantula can't dig in it at all.

The coarser the sand is the less well it works for burrowing.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I love the varying lives of T's. My Nhandu has never moved a bit of dirt, out posing 90% of the time, and the rest just chilling at its hide entrance.

Therealybtk

Arachnopeon
Update: She(hopefully) molted yesterday so I believe maybe it had something to do with that because now her new tunnels are not collapsed as for the substrate I am using I use it on all 10 of my Ts and they have not had any issues with collapsing tunnels but it was nice to see she's still in there and happy! Thanks all!