Newbies and T Blondies

Status
Not open for further replies.

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah I know what you mean.... Two people, who would fit the lovely term of "shockers" keep harrassing me about spiders. When I recomended the Avicularia/Grammostola/Brachypelma etc, they refused, saying they want a bigger meaner species.

One of them got a big female Ephebopus murinus, and I shan't comment on the keeping arrangements of it, other than to say my critiscism based on my experience and what I've learnt about how to keep such species wasn't approved by them.

Secondly, the other person got a Heteroscodra maculata.... May the fun commence! They regularly pick up their spiders, as "the previous owner said the spiders never bite". I was persistent in trying to inform them this is highly unlikely, and the spiders will revert back to instincts/other and chances are, they'll get tagged...

..."Just my two pence"

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
At least they are brave.... :p But handling an H. mac...damn. Just make sure they both come here to write their bite reports deifiler, they should be interesting ones.

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'll admit it...I'm a noob...I'm about as green and wet behind the ears as they come, now my husband on the other hand, that's a different story. Buuuttttt, he was catching T's snakes, scorps, etc since he was 5. His first T he ever bought was a Colbalt, not because he wanted some scary T but rather, that was all that was available where he was. He wants a Blondi, and so I...here's the thing:
My 4 year old got into our rosie's tank one morning and took everything out of it, including her hide. Poor thing was so freaked out she refused to go back in it for nearly a week. Our son didn't get hurt, nor did she, but it's the point of it. We have a 4 year old, a 2 year old and an 11 month old. We have many years to go before our baby is old enough to understand the meaning of the word "respect". Now, I'm sure we'll have a blondi long before then, BUT only after we have appropreate accomidations for it, ie, so our kids can't get their little paws in the tank and play with it. We're going to be getting an OBT, I'm actually more conserned about that one that I am a blondi, however, we already have secure accomidations prepared for that one. I agree, bigger and "badder" doesn't mean "better". We're going to be getting a Salmon too...so there ya go, we'll have our "big, scary spider" and it won't be quite as bad per se as a blondi. Yes, I think that common sense needs to come into play when thinking about aquiring a T like that, or any of the more fiesty ones, especially if you're young (inexperienced) or have young ones like mine:)

Last edited:

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
newbies

I finally got myself registered here after I've been just reading the posts for months. I've had tarantulas for a long time
(helped my daughter take care of them when she wanted
them). Became a real spider lover. So I don't know if I'm a real newbie. We had a black widow live for 3 yrs for us in a big
jar. The girls found her in my plants as a new "hatching".
I have a Chilean Rose and my husband just got me a B.Smithi
for Christmas. My little girl had one of these for yrs, but a neighbor
kid killed her on us (what a rotten kid!). She was one you could
hold. I haven't gotten any aggresive spiders yet (the widow was
so docile, never tried to come out of the jar) because I wasn't
ready. The pet stores do sell the aggressive species and inexperienced people can get them easily. My Chilean Rose
will try and get me when I take care of her tank, so I'm glad she doesn't move that quickly. This little baby is an inch or so,
developing its colors. Doesn't move much. Is that why they call
a B.smithi a "pet rock"? I think I will be able to handle him or
her which is what I really wanted. I think I would like the other
species, but I wouldn't try and handle them. I've stayed with
desert tarantuals because you don't have to worry as much with
the humidity. I have never had a spiderling before so my questions are whether I should keep this one in a vile and how
humid does it have to be for a B Smithi that is at least 1 to 2
inches? She is in the little critter keeper she was in at the pet
store with the bark kind of substrate. Got a water dish in there.
I don't think we should bash the newbie folks, kids, etc. or
they won't hang around and learn anything from here. Just
my opinion.

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Your opinions are welcome. Welcome to the boards BTW. :) We need more T freaks in NJ.

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Corn snakes

You guys mentioned corn snakes. Had one given to me when a repairman saw I had the boa and spiders. He had picked her
up off the road so she wouldn't get run over. Much more active the a reg. boa. Beautifull snake. Now I've seen pretty pink ones are available in Petco.
Sharon

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Welcome Cricket!! I'm sure you will find alot of interesting folks here.

Andy

arcane

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
As a newbie myself, I think a lot of these people are just impulsive.

I did a lot of research, bought the books etc before I decided on a nice, tame Smithi as my first T (granted, a baby Parahybana came with it).

Besides the whole giant, aggressive factor, during my reading it sounded like Blondis were a lot more of a pain in the ass to take care of. My Smithi is pretty much content as long as the substrate isnt too wet and its given some warmth in the winter.

It's like people who have never owned a dog, but made up their minds to get a Jack Russell after watching too much Fraiser. Or maybe in this case, an Irish Wolf Hound ;)

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have always been good at keeping Ts wive only lost one T and thats because it was so small that u could hardly see it and because probably that all the slings from a sack aren't supposed to survive.We proved because another person proved this even with all his experience lost alot of them. Its not really skill it all about how u take care of it to tell u the truth lots of people even keep their blondis pretty dri and they survive fine. Also if T blondis are so fragile how come there are so many in the wild?? its alll aboiut certain things. Tarantulas are built to survive im sure once in a while it gets pretty dry in venezuela.

I can also understand ur points of view newbies should not be getting blondis for fun cuz they could also give a bad name to the hobby if their intetions aren't good. Its also about the person. I believbe that if that person is ready then they are ready.

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: newbies

Originally posted by cricket54
I don't think we should bash the newbie folks, kids, etc. or
they won't hang around and learn anything from here. Just
my opinion.
Welcome cricket, I have pointed this out a few times now that I am in no way trying to bash anyone, learning is great but jumping the gun and getting something you are not ready for is not learning, it is being hasty at the expensive of a living creature. I am just trying to get these few people and maybe a few others that read this to give it a second thought before they get in over there heads. It is not just the blondie's size in question it is the husbandry's and the hair factor also. Myself and many others on this board jump at the chance to help out newbies and even some not so new any chance we get, so please stick around and learn and the experience will come and yes the Blondies will still be around when you are ready. These are just my opinions and thoughts on the subject the final decision has to come from them, I am just hoping to make someone think twice and maybe realize that no they are not ready. Greg

BASIC CARE FOR A T. BLONDI

newbies, its ok just get a theraphosa blondi. If you are ready to take care of it and have all the accomodations ready and set up for it for example, a home made burrow out of some smooth rocks and substrate and a big water dish near your heat source.

NEVER put heat pads under neath where the blondi will burrow, they will burn them selves, best to put the heaters on the back of the tank with some tinfoil ductaped over them.

Dont let all the mean tarantula keepers get you down, EVERYONE get a theraphosa blondi and just keep to its living requirements, and feeding requirements! dont let the humidity drop below 70 or at least 65!!! dont let the temp drop below 65 at night or 70 during the day and you have a nice T. Blondi.

Tarantulas are known for growing faster when they have their ideal living conditions. If you give them 85% humidity and 85-90º temperature wise they will need more food, new water every week and the substrate should be kept moist every other day by a spray bottle, When first introducing the soil, dump it in and then use a half gallon of water or less depnding on how much soil u want for your blondi, swish it around and it should be able to pick it up and hold it in the shape of your hand and not drip any water out.

Keep the heaters on the back and cover the lid 80% of the way with suran wrap taped under the screen lid. You should use at least 5-6 inches of substrate so thats why i say half gallon of water. When the tarantula is near a molt you want to raise the humidity somehow. If you have a 10 gallon tank get a 20 gallon heater, if you have a 20 gallon get a 30-40 gallon heater.

MAKE SURE you have a thermometer and hygrometer in the tank along with the tarantula and monitor the temp/humidity.

IVE BEEN DEALING WITH TARANTULAS FOR ONLY 4-5 MONTHS, IF YOU ARE DEDICATED TO HAVING WHAT YOU WANT THEN GO FOR IT DONT LET ANYONE TELL YOU THAT YOU CANT DO IT BECAUSE THEY HAVE 2 YEARS UNDER THERE BELT ... wow you have had tarantulas for 3 years? wow!! i know as much about them as anyone else does, its common sence and a little research. T. Blondi's live in the rain forest therefore they need A RAIN FOREST CONDITION... and people ... (DECORATIONS ARE NOT NEEDED EXCEPT FOR YOUR VIEWING PLEASURE)

remember, the more decorations you have the more places your tarantulas food will have to hide and possibly die and decay for several weeks before you know it died then at which time it will start a colony of fungus.

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
TheTarantulaMan, on one hand you are so right but the other you just don't get it...... Sure you have not been in the hobby to long but you have obviously learned a great deal in your time, not everyone is as dedicated as that, if they are by all means go get one but saying for everyone to go out and get one that is just moronic. I feel by reading some of the posts that these people want the Blondie for all the wrong reasons and really don't know much about them and I feel that is bad for the hobby. I think you should think a little bit more before you post. Once again my opinions are just that, and I am just hoping to get people to give it a little harder though, If you feel after really thinking about why you want this T. and are dedicated to caring for it by all means get it. Greg

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Re: BASIC CARE FOR A T. BLONDI

Originally posted by TheTarantulaMan

wow you have had tarantulas for 3 years? wow!! i know as much about them as anyone else does, its common sence and a little research.
I guess I will just go ahead and disagree with that.

The thing that most people are discussing here is the fact that just knowing how to care for it isnt enough. Experience is needed to learn personally about how these creatures behave and what you can expect it to do while you care for it.

Its best to start with species that wont do the do the most damage to you if you happen to make a mistake and getting tagged.

I know many people with common sense and if you were to let them research tarantulas for a week, then put a T. blondi in front of them, they wouldnt know what to do with it when it runs out of the cage, then under their bed. It would be much easier dealing with a rosehair in a situation like this, and in the process, you could learn and eventually work up to keeping a goliath birdeater.

I got into the invert hobby a few months ago, and I completely underestimated these animals. I for a while expected them to be sluggish (which they are) and rock-like, but they are easily startled and can dart out of a cage rather quickly. I was warned of them doing things like this, but its easily possible to hear warnings and not listen to them, which is why things like this should be figured out by personal experience.

I think most people here would agree with me, after all, its kinda common sense :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Caska

Arachnopeon
I think some people that get a T. blondi or another kind of large, defensive species not long after they get into the hobby are making a bad decision.... on the other hand, there are some people that haven't been in the hobby long and do fine with species of tarantulas that are for "experienced keepers". Some people do seem to like them for a shock factor, they want to scare their friends or be able to say they have a tarantula with one inch plus fangs that has the leg span of a small platter. Most of those people shouldn't be keeping ANY tarantulas, much less a T. blondi, but there are pet stores that sell them, and there always will be.
Then there's the other type of noob, that cares to educate themself and is prepared for the work it takes to care for a tarantula like that. I got my first tarantula last October, a B. smithi that I found at a local pet store. Two days later I went back and bought a G. rosea and A. versicolor the same pet store had. Now it's the end of December and I have 18 t's including a juvenile T. blondi, a P. murinus, a P. regalis sling, and several other species that will grow to be pretty big and defensive. I would not have these animals if I (and other people around me) did not honestly believe that I was capable of caring for them and being cautious about it. I never had the chance to have tarantulas and scorpions when I lived at home, so when I moved out, I was able to get into a hobby that had always interested me. I've kept all sorts of exotics since I was 8 years old, and have been around them almost my whole life. I knew other people that kept tarantulas and was exposed to them for quite a while before I got one of my own. People like me can be noobs to keeping tarantulas and still be perfectly capable of owning t's that don't nessacarily have the best personalities and NOT have any problems with it. I'm not saying T. blondis are for everyone, but I don't think that saying noobs absolutely shouldn't keep t's like that is fair.

Originally posted by Caska
I there are people that haven't been in the hobby long and do fine with species of tarantulas that are for "experienced keepers".
Originally posted by scorpio
I guess I will just go ahead and disagree with that.

Its best to start with species that wont do the do the most damage to you if you happen to make a mistake and getting tagged.

Whats the point here??? if you have a tarantula for 5 years and if you have it when it is 5 years old when you buy it... THE "TAG" WILL HURT JUST AS MUCH as if your a "noob" (im not sure what the hell noob or newb is supposed to mean so im going to refrain from calling anyone a "noob") NO one call me a noob please. If i get bit now and then 5 years later it will hurt just as much.

I went in to a pet store one day and decided i wanted to take care of something (didnt matter what it was..) so i bought a rose hair tarantula. I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread butttt.... it stopped eating and was just sittin like a pet rock so i got a T.Blondi after 2 months and fed it to my BLONDI. Poor little rose hair got balled up by my new 6 inche blondi after it being in its tank about 10 minutes.

IT NEVER HAD A CHANCE :D
i did alot of research on he internet and asked alot of questions. Mainly about my temperature and humidity. the feeding part was easy. AND SO WHATIF I WANNA SCARE PEOPLE WITH MY TARANTULA..... There big ugly spiders. i keep mine so i can say i have a gigantic spider that grows 12 inches. plus i love having it and care for it like its apart of me. so what now? kill me... go head i have it to show off and scare my friends, family, girlfriend, other people... and it does a good job at scaring them too.

Its a huge tarantula and it leaves peoples eyes really wide and mouths hanging open when they first see a "SPIDER" aka tarantula... "THAT THING WILL KILL YOU!!!!!!" "DONT TOUCH IT!!!!" "DONT GET IT MAD!!!" just some of the things i hear.... its fun everyone getting a T. Blondi should have it along time before trying to mate it with a mate.

This is my gradual meaning for having a goliath bird eater to eventually mate it with another and have spiderlings as many times as the ol' girl will do it for me.

The only time i might suggest you getting an "EASIER" , more docile tarantula is for mating. If you want a start tarantula to try and reproduce it then yes start with a G. Rosea or a B. Smithi. MUCH EASIER, but for pets, face it, there like wimps compared to a GOLIATH BIRD EATER which could fit a 1 inche rose hair spiderling and a 1 inche B. Smithi spiderling in its fangs.

GET GOLIATH. ITS THE ONLY WAY TO GO!!!! :D :D :D

i love my little chinese person :D

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
@TheTarantulaMan

I really hate saying this but you are just what this hobby does not need. You are the type that will ruin this hobby if given the chance and are not even good enough to be called a noob, your last post was just straight out disgusting and in bad taste. A true newbie is one that wants to learn and has respect for this hobby and tarantulas in general. You on the other hand seem like you need to grow up a lot... Greg

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
This thread is going to go nowhere fast.

Thread Closed.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.