Newbie with G. Pulchripes - Housing suggestions please

whovian89

Arachnopeon
Hi,

I am a newbie with a juvi grammostola pulchripes. It is about 2 3/4 inches. What kind of substrate should I use? And what sized enclosure is good for the T?

I currently have two enclosures that I have at home. One is round, 10.5" in diameter, 5.5" high. imagitarium.png
Another one is larger, rectangular enclosure, 18 x 11.6 x 5.9. exoterra.png

I like the bigger one but I wonder if it is too big for a juvi. Are these containers high enough? I would need to cover at least half its depth with substrates for a T like G. pulchripes, right?

As for the substrate, I saw the Eco Earth at PetCo. I have been told these Ts need dry substrates. Is this okay? eco earth.PNG

If these are not good for my G Pulchripes, please suggest what I could get at pet stores, amazon or elsewhere.

Any help and suggestion will be much appreciated and will mean a lot to this newbie.

Thanks.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Hi there,

Looks ok to me. I'd go with the smaller enclosure. Make sure you provide a hiding spot and a water dish. Your G. pulchripes is likely to push/flip the water dish, so have fun with that;)

Eco earth is the most common substrate used by tarantula keepers. And yes, they do like it dry. Make sure you provide plenty of substrate, as this species likes to push it around and dig. Also, deep substrate limits the vertical space, which is also good. Make sure to press the substrate down firmly to create a nice floor for the T. They don't like stumbling through fluff.

Take a picture when you have it all set up, and we'll be happy to give you more pointers:)

whovian89

Arachnopeon
Hi there,

Looks ok to me. I'd go with the smaller enclosure. Make sure you provide a hiding spot and a water dish. Your G. pulchripes is likely to push/flip the water dish, so have fun with that;)

Eco earth is the most common substrate used by tarantula keepers. And yes, they do like it dry. Make sure you provide plenty of substrate, as this species likes to push it around and dig. Also, deep substrate limits the vertical space, which is also good. Make sure to press the substrate down firmly to create a nice floor for the T. They don't like stumbling through fluff.

Take a picture when you have it all set up, and we'll be happy to give you more pointers:)
Thank you for the tips. I will set it up tomorrow and share the pics :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
At that size I'd use an ExoTerra Breeder Box Small with coco fiber and a hide of cork bark.

whovian89

Arachnopeon
So I set up my new G Pulchripes, yet to be named, in the 10.5 x 5.5 round enclosure. Here are the pictures. Is it okay or too small? I used the Eco Earth coco fiber substrate. IMG_20170806_130755.jpg IMG_20170806_130916.jpg IMG_20170806_131024.jpg

The other cage I was talking about is much bigger. Here is the picture of two side by side for comparison. I may transfer her (I am assuming it's a she) to the bigger one when she becomes adult, or I will use it if I get an adult T.
IMG_20170806_132032-01.jpg

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
So I set up my new G Pulchripes, yet to be named, in the 10.5 x 5.5 round enclosure. Here are the pictures. Is it okay or too small? I used the Eco Earth coco fiber substrate. View attachment 248140 View attachment 248141 View attachment 248139

The other cage I was talking about is much bigger. Here is the picture of two side by side for comparison. I may transfer her (I am assuming it's a she) to the bigger one when she becomes adult, or I will use it if I get an adult T.
View attachment 248142
It's ok :-s

aphono

Arachnobaron
Looks good and congrats, great pick on a starter T! I have two G. pulchripes slings and love them.

Last edited:

ChickenTaco

Arachnosquire
Looks good to me! My baby has a deeper enclosure but little less walk about space, simply because thats what mine prefers(built a burrow goimg all the way down and around at one point), my LP would looove to live in a enclosure like that! Active little muncher.... your bowl looks pretty tip proof too so thats always good!