Newbie questions

steffo

Arachnopeon
Hello, im all new here and hope this is the right place. I have been reading a lot and really want to get into this hobby. I want to start with and pretty much dedicate myself to the Brachypelma species. This also seems like a good beginner species.

Now to my worries. When i was small i got stung by a bee and my arm got very swollen (like twice the size as normal). I was kinda looking like The Hulk and parents still talk about it today. I cant remember if i had any trouble to breath or other issues. I havent been stung since then and of course i wonder how i would react to a tarantula bite or the urticating hairs. Is it reasonable that if im very careful i can avoid both in the longterm?

Next worry is that we have a real small dog and 2 children (10 years old).

Im going back and forth if im stupid and irresponsible if i start this hobby. At the same time i feel this can be a big passion for me and also can be interesting for my children in the future.

I guess i just want to hear what you guys think, and if any of you have been in similar situation? Thanks for a great forum with a lot of wonderful people.

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
Although I haven't been bit personally from what I've read Brachypelma and most (not all) other New World species bites are about as harmful as a bee sting if not less, however without the allergic reaction you have to them lol. Tarantula venom has no relation to bee venom. Not deadly or even seriously harmful at all to kids or dogs, though definitely better to avoid them getting bit by any tarantula (a big Brachy would probably hurt with a good bite just because of the size of the fangs). One of my first T's was a B. vagans sling that ate probably better than any other sling I've kept and grew very fast, easy to manage I'd recommend. I've kept tarantulas for about 2.5 years now I have almost 50 of varying sizes probably 30 species and have never been bitten.

I keep potent venom species such as Poecilotheria with beloved dogs in my house and I just make sure they do not get out of their enclosures to cause any problems.

Last edited:

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Very few tarantula keepers EVER get bitten by their tarantulas. With proper setups and careful husbandry you're very unlikely to get bitten. You're much more likely to be bitten by your dog (or children) than the tarantula.
Avoiding the urticating hairs is not as easy but if you wear long sleeves and disturb the Tarantula as little as possible you can manage the risk down.

Drizzliz

Arachnopeon
You stand the biggest chance of being bit while handling, so don't do it. ;) No benefits for the spider, only risks for both parties. Treat them like fish in the sense; look, don't touch. Work smart (with tongs and not your fingers), and you sidestep your spider thinking your finger is food.

Hairs can be a bit more tricky to avoid if you have a specimen prone to kicking, but the risk can be mitigated by wearing nitrile gloves while doing maintenance and rehousing. Unfortunately Brachypelmas have a reputation for being kickers, but of course it depends on the specimen... some species, such as boehmi, seem to be more prone to having the kicker disposition. I would personally suggest an albopilosum for starters; they seem to be one of the least prone to kicking, grow quickly (for a Brachypelma) and are just awesome. :)

With new world species, I would not think you were being irresponsible. I would stay far away from any old world specimens at this time, however. Play safe, be careful, work smart, and the risk of a bite is quite low. I have been keeping for about a year and a half and have 20 specimens... no bites yet. I don't give them the opportunity!

Here is an interesting read about tarantula venom if you are concerned about a bad reaction to a bite.
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/tarantula-venom-and-anaphylaxis.287185/

If you are truly interested, keep researching and dive in when you feel ready. Its a rewarding experience! :)

Gogyeng

Arachnobaron
There is always an option to aim for a NW arboreal in aviculariinae subfamily: avic avic, ybirabora diversipes, caribena versicolor, psalmopoeus cambridgei (can be a bit defensive for a first T).
They are generally calm, pretty visible, web, and will not spray you with urticant hairs (Caribena versicolor has but will not flicker). As for handling in case of allergies is exposing yourself and the T needlessly imho. In any case aviculariinae have mild venom too.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
There is always an option to aim for a NW arboreal in aviculariinae subfamily: avic avic, ybirabora diversipes, caribena versicolor, psalmopoeus cambridgei (can be a bit defensive for a first T).
These are in the Psalmopoeinae subfamily along with Ephebopus, Tapinauchenius, and Pseudoclamoris

steffo

Arachnopeon
Thanks a lot for the answers. I feel more safe now and you might have changed my mind from Brachypelma to aviculariinae. I have a lot of reading to do before i get my first one but feels good that they dont kick hair. The only problem with them seem to be the speed and i guess you learn to handle that after a while. Thanks again!

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Bee wenom and tarantula venom is not the same thing. I have read articles that people allergic to bee venom does not get allergic reactions to tarantula venom. In fact i have heard and read that tarantula venom cant be a cause for allergic reactions at all?

cold blood

Staff member
Thanks a lot for the answers. I feel more safe now and you might have changed my mind from Brachypelma to aviculariinae. I have a lot of reading to do before i get my first one but feels good that they dont kick hair. The only problem with them seem to be the speed and i guess you learn to handle that after a while. Thanks again!
brachypelma is a faaaar more forgiving genus of ts...and a much better place to start.

Dealing with hairs is,SUPER easy...a t flicks, simply close the lid....easily aviodable and really shouldnt be a concern.

Urzeitmensch

Arachnosquire
I was in a similar situation last year and took a long time before getting my first T (a Brachypelma Harmorii btw).
I now have 13 Ts and I am far happier with this hobby than I ever imagined.

There are risks. There is the distinct possibility of getting bitten and there is the hair-kicking. The risk of an escape needs to be thought of. All those risks can be mitigated to a great extend by preparation and vigilance, though.

In my personal opinion the risks are far lower then those posed by dogs or cats. Bites, scratches, allergic reactions, parasites ...

Make sure you plan where to have them, how to make sure neither dog nor kid will endanger them (and thenselves) and how to create a low-risk environment.

Oh, and plan for more than one Tarantula. There is no such thing as one Tarantula :D

DancingHare

Arachnopeon
As pointed out above, tarantula venom is not the same as bee venom, so while it's possible that you may have a reaction, it's possible you won't either. And if you are not handling, the chances of you being bitten are extremely low. I use tongs or a paintbrush anytime I need to mess around in enclosures.