Newbie problem on my 3/4” gbb sling

Jhay em

Arachnopeon
Hi guys iam a newbie in tarantula hobby.i buy my 1st T a GBB (2cm sling).my problem is when it arrive and re house it almost 2weeks until now the sling never eat.i tried tiny cricket and red roach but no luck,i tried to drop the feeder and leave it or use a tong to hand feed it but still it doesn’t eat it always run away.i use a tiny cup for enclosure and dry substrate.the sling is active and put alot of web in the enclosure and alwys stay at the web.can you guys help me pls. Thank you

Liquifin

Arachnoking
If the GBB sling is well fed, then there should not be any issues. It could either be that it is fasting (not hungry) or it is going to molt soon. Since it is webbing, I don't see anything wrong, besides that it is not hungry. Most tarantulas can go a long time without eating. I had a tarantula sling that went almost 7 months without eating. So I wouldn't really about it not eating since it is webbing and acting normal like a GBB. ;)

The Seraph

Arachnolord
Hi guys iam a newbie in tarantula hobby.i buy my 1st T a GBB (2cm sling).my problem is when it arrive and re house it almost 2weeks until now the sling never eat.i tried tiny cricket and red roach but no luck,i tried to drop the feeder and leave it or use a tong to hand feed it but still it doesn’t eat it always run away.i use a tiny cup for enclosure and dry substrate.the sling is active and put alot of web in the enclosure and alwys stay at the web.can you guys help me pls. Thank you
Welcome to the boards! First off, would you kindly post photos of the tarantula and enclosure? That will help immensely. Secondly, this is normal. When a tarantula is in premolt then it will most likely stop eating. As long as the abdomen is plump than you should be fine.

Jhay em

Arachnopeon
If the GBB sling is well fed, then there should not be any issues. It could either be that it is fasting (not hungry) or it is going to molt soon. Since it is webbing, I don't see anything wrong, besides that it is not hungry. Most tarantulas can go a long time without eating. I had a tarantula sling that went almost 7 months without eating. So I wouldn't really about it not eating since it is webbing and acting normal like a GBB. ;)
Thank you, i hope that theres no problem.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Can you get mealworms? Kill the mealworm by either crushing its head or by crushing its head and cutting it in half place it in the spiders container. At that size, your sling will readily scavenge. If it doesn’t eat it in 24 hours remove the worm and try again in 4-7 days. If that doesn’t do the trick then my bet is the sling is in premoult.

Jhay em

Arachnopeon
Can you get mealworms? Kill the mealworm by either crushing its head or by crushing its head and cutting it in half place it in the spiders container. At that size, your sling will readily scavenge. If it doesn’t eat it in 24 hours remove the worm and try again in 4-7 days. If that doesn’t do the trick then my bet is the sling is in premoult.
Ok i’ll try using that method.thank you for your suggestion

C5939DBB-1295-4E49-ABEB-34AB4E8AABA2.jpeg 6620387E-7C80-4A1D-859B-9F825A55AC60.jpeg
Welcome to the boards! First off, would you kindly post photos of the tarantula and enclosure? That will help immensely. Secondly, this is normal. When a tarantula is in premolt then it will most likely stop eating. As long as the abdomen is plump than you should be fine.
Here’s the pic

Last edited by a moderator:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That sling has a very large abdomen! It is likely just full and waiting to molt.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Really?can’t wait to see it molt..
I have no idea how long it will be until that happens and you might miss the process... but it is always exciting to see it happen or find a molt later!

Bob Len

Arachnosquire
I see that there is a roach hiding in the dirt, If it's not pre killed remove it after a while. Most feeders can easily kill a molting T so just be careful leaving food in the enclosure when a T is in pre molt. Other than that your enclosure looks great, although putting in more substrate and maybe a wet corner would not go amiss.

Jhay em

Arachnopeon
I see that there is a roach hiding in the dirt, If it's not pre killed remove it after a while. Most feeders can easily kill a molting T so just be careful leaving food in the enclosure when a T is in pre molt. Other than that your enclosure looks great, although putting in more substrate and maybe a wet corner would not go amiss.
Thank you bob len. i already forgot that i leave it there yesterday i’ll remove it later