Newbie accidentally bought a featherleg, now what?

Wrldruler

Arachnopeon
Went to a reptile show, was disappointed by the lack of selection and expertise, but came home with 6 large Ts for about $100. 5 of them are your standard hobby Ts (Pink, Curly, Striped). The seller was kind enough to toss in a medium sized "feather" T for practically free.

So I get home, finalize my habitat plans, and learn that I am actually the not so proud owner of a feather leg baboon.

I eventually wanted a an Old World, but not right now, and I had never heard of a feather. Research has me concerned I'm over my head. The wife isn't happy.

I did get it transferred to its habitat and fed it. One threat display but otherwise boring.

Now what? Is this thing mean enough I should be looking to get rid of it?

krbshappy71

Arachnosquire
Nah don’t get rid of it, just don’t handle it. I have one as well, a spiderling, and it hides most of the time anyhow. I have been pre-killing tiny dubias for it and leaving them at the entrance of its tiny burrow. Just read up here on their care and don’t leave the door open. :) they’re beautiful when they get bigger!

P.s. if you really don’t want it, we live in DE and will gladly take it off your hands. Heehee!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Find another home for it with someone who has the experience that a Stromatopelma calceatum requires, or locate the dealer who sold it to you and return/exchange it.
This isn't about it being 'mean', because no tarantula is mean. However, this species does come with the most medically significant venom in the hobby and people should have experience with maintaining very fast, and sometimes defensive, species before getting one.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Same story. Everyone should know scientific names (... tossing a featherleg, eh) and a bit of T's 'know how'. This way you could had said: "No, thank you".

The damage that common names did and still do, is amazing.

The reason why someone offer so gladly the likes of S.calceatum is (just like for P.murinus) due to their breeding easyness, but that's all, because as a spider per se, is a challenge (rehouse etc) if someone isn't prepared enough.

It's like giving a Naja (Cobra) for free to someone that only kept Corn snakes, basically.

Last edited:

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
This is definitely the least 'beginner friendly' tarantula species in the entire hobby. They are beyond lightning fast with a stand and fight attitude with venom that WILL put a grown man in hospital. Also, the venom is strong enough to kill a dog or cat, as non-primate mammals are more affected by tarantula venom than primates are.
Here's the thing. In the beginning, we ALL make mistakes. With beginner friendly species (And to avoid disambiguation, you should familiarise yourself with the binomial scientific names of the species you own), there is a certain margin of 'wiggle room' when you interact with your spider where if something 'bad' happens like an escape, it's not the end of the world.
However, with a 'feather leg' that margin for error is completely gone. You cannot get complacent or have a momentary lapse in judgement when dealing with this species. It's a little like having a loaded gun in your house, except the gun is alive. That's not to say it's not a beautiful tarantula, but there are plenty of experienced keepers out there that would never own one of these precisely for these reasons.

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
It's best if you get rid of it. It's not even about NW-OW difference. Even among old worlds, Stromatopelma calceatum is in a league on its own. Very fast, very highly venomous and can be unpredictable.
Some people might jump straight into OWs like Orange Bobs (P. murinus), but in the end even they aren't as bad.

Garetyl

Arachnoknight
After reading other threads here about them, yiiikes. :( If I were you, I would contact breeders in your area and see if they'll take or trade for it. This is a super fast species, you could easily wind up hurting or killing her on accident. New keepers like us might not know how to track such a fast t. We also lack the muscle memory and experience. All it takes is one escaped t and one misstep...

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
You researched,and your concerned you are over your head...your wife is not happy.
No brainer,find someone to take it.This hobby is suppose to be fun,not filled with
dread and fear.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
If your not comfortable don't keep it. I think it is smart to err on the side of caution. Not sure if you have kids. If you didn't have any kids I would say go for it unless your that uncomfortable with it. I won't have one in my house now and maybe not ever.

Aarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I absolutely love the “Featherleg Baboon” and want to get one. I had one years ago and it was a beautiful T.

Otteresting

Arachnoknight
At least if you do not have any way to get rid of it, just make a lot of researchs about it. Good thing you rehoused it without any problem, but the bigger it will get, the more defensive it'll be.

There are quite a lot of rehouses and feeding videos, which could be helpful in your case. Just be aware that these will bite instead of kicking hairs and eventually bolt on you faster than you could imagine.

But IMO, this is definately not a good starting old world.

Last edited:

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah, what @cold blood said, “...give it away.” If you’re going to visit Central Florida any time soon I shall relieve you of this heavy burden...AND your wife will be happy. A win, win.!

Dman

Arachnosquire
Really tough decision you are facing. If it was a sling I would say keep it and raise it up. That gives you the time to learn this crazy species. However a large S. cal is no joke. Stupid quick and hot. It will be a bad bite.

How you keep T's matter. I treat all of mine like like they would kill me. No matter if they are OW or NW. Sometimes I remind myself that I am getting too comfortable or careless and I get more disciplined. I always treat my H. macs with a healthy dose of respect and preparation. You honestly cannot react to their speed so if you have any doubts get it to someone with experience.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You need to give it away to someone with more experience, S. calceatum has the highest venom of all the known tarantulas (someone correct me if I’m wrong here, I’m 99% sure this is correct).

It’s also got the speed of a Chilobrachys but on an arboreal. Best to work up from Psalmopoeus to Pterinochulus/Poecilotheria and then up to Stromatopelma, you’ve skipped all those steps

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Anyone who buys a half dozen adult spiders with no knowledge of even the scientific names should have anything with even mildly bad venom. Step up your research. These are living animals..

I've gotten alot more used to the idea of newer keepers owning advanced species over the years, but this is ridiculous.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I started with both NW's and OW's. That said, even I waited awhile before getting one of these.

gerryfkno

Arachnopeon
You having to ask says it all. I have limited experience with T's but have been dealing with large monitor lizards and pythons for decades so a awnry invert doesn't intimidate me in the slightest. Simply do your homework on that particular species along with the usual don't get bit routine and you'll be fine.

You seem to be lacking the unruly animal experience/confidence so you'd be a fish out of water that's playing with fire. If you could handle it you wouldn't have to ask......pass it on to someone else

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Anyone who buys a half dozen adult spiders with no knowledge of even the scientific names should have anything with even mildly bad venom. Step up your research. These are living animals..

I've gotten alot more used to the idea of newer keepers owning advanced species over the years, but this is ridiculous.
Correction:

Anyone who buys half a dozen spiders of any size without knowing the scientific names should immediately sell said spiders to someone who has actually done their research and didn't "settle" for what was in front of them at a reptike show :rolleyes: