New Vaejovis carolinianus scorplings

stevenhman

Arachnopeon
Just got eight of these little buggers in the mail. These are my first new scorps in two years! I didn't realize how small they'd be, I guess they're about a little bigger than a quarter of an inch. (5-7mm?). My digital camera can't take a clear picture of one. I'll have to borrow one soon and post a pic or two.

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have also a vaejovis sp. and when my partner found it under a stone, it was about 5 mm. It was amazing that she was able to find it in the first place. It's doing quite fine, fat on pinheads, about 8mm. I expect it to molt soon.

I have several other young vaejovis sp. and I love them, they are small and lightning fast. They move in small bursts. I fed them pinheads, and sometimes hindlegs of grasshoppers.

Empi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just got a few babies myself. They are very fast too. I have not seen them in a few days though. maybe it's time to check and see if they are still in there. :eek:

stevenhman

Arachnopeon
Yes they are very quick! Sometimes it's hard to see them on the coco bark, thankfully I have a blacklight.

Here's a pic of one of the little buggers. I couldn't get a better(closer) shot. The green arrows point to x-termites. Interestingly, termites flouresce under UV light as well.

They almost look like miniature C. gracilis.

Empi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They are pretty cool little guys. I cant wait for them to get bigger. :D

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
These guys do seem to cannibalise, even when quite well fed. Separating them would be a good idea to be safe.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
fusion121 said:
These guys do seem to cannibalise, even when quite well fed. Separating them would be a good idea to be safe.
i've had well fed spinigerus cannibalize too

i don't think Vaejovis is nearly as "communal" as ppl think

plus it's easier to track molts and stuff, if you are in to that sort of thing

Empi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I keep all mine together without any problems. Not that I'm say there won't be. Maybe I'll seperate them just to be on the safe side.

darkeye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
fusion121 said:
I have kept them in trios for what seems to be quite a while, and so far (knock on wood) so good... no munching!

And... these look very familiar... hmmmmm.... :razz:

I've kept 8 adults together for months and no munching, either. I have LOTS of hides, though. Many smaller pieces of cork bark, set up like islands...
Time for an experiment, perhaps.

stevenhman

Arachnopeon
Each of my little containers has the obligitory "leaf and stick." I'm going to seperate them soon though, at least until they're older. That way, like cacoseraph said, it'd also be easier to track moulting etc. Wish I had a macro lens! I'm trading in all my salt water stuff @ the local pet store (well, it's an hour away) for credit for inverts. Their wholesaler probably won't have much of anything though. With such generic names for all the scorpions I hope to get a neat surprise.

Empi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just watched one of mine eat for the first time. The little guy took down a cricket like three times it's size. Awesome!

stevenhman

Arachnopeon
Little update.

I got 8 of these little buggers when I first posted this. Due to unknown causes 5 have died :confused: I've talked it over with who I bought them from and I've narrowed the cause down to either their substrate or the termites I've been feeding them. The most likley culprit would be the darn termites. Somehow I've gotten my digital camera to work right and took a nice pic of one of the little guys. It's in a 1/4oz deli cup. This little guy is probably around 6mm. Can't wait for them to grow up!