New user needs helps choosing what to order

Spino

Arachnopeon
Hey, new user here. I quickly made this account in order to ask all you guys about what and who I should order from for my next batch of spiders.
I need 9 individuals of a web-heavy species, in order for a research project (Do not worry, the research will not harm the animals. I will ensure their health and safety above all else). I was going to purchase Araneus diadematus, but unfortunately other things came up and the season ended before I could obtain any.
I have 4 potential sources to purchase from, and would love if you could give your insight on what I should get! All species I am pondering on purchasing I've researched on, and have concluded that they would suit both my experience level and my research. I'm mostly looking for information of if the source is trustworthy, and if the price is right.

1.spiderworld.eu (Pterinochilus murinus, 3.5 cm): $8.57 each. This is by far the cheapest source, but it's risky since I live in the US. Is it worth it to ship internationally?

2. lllreptile.com (Nephile [Golden orb weaver], 1"-2"): $16.99 each. Is lllreptile a good source for spiders?

3. jabberwockreptiles.com (Chilobrachys fimbriatus, 0.75"): $20 each. A little expensive (since I need nine), and a little small. I was also thinking of buying P. murinus (1.5") from this source, but they only have 5 in stock. But it would definitely be worth it to downsize to 5 if I had to.

So what do you think? All responses appreciated, thanks~

*EDIT: Thanks for all the help! I've decided to go with black widows (not what I was expecting, but all the better).*

Last edited:

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
Don’t buy spiders from reptile dealers. Also, importing spiders LEGALLY is incredibly expensive, not to mention P. murinus is one of the most readily available and dirt cheap species in the states. I don’t have any hands-on experience with any of these specific species but I do know that Chilobrachys species web up a ton, especially when you reduce the depth of substrate given to them. Same goes for P. murinus, but I’ll leave someone else to speak on that as I’ve never kept any Pterinochilus species.

Demonclaws

Arachnosquire
You should tell us roughly what you plan to research on. Spider silk? Web structure? or else? What are your experiences in terms of keeping Ts? The Ts you listed is not fun to mess with, and it actually takes a while for them to web their enclosures.

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
Not so sure about importing. I wouldn't expect a single sling to survive, plus you might get fined for illegally importing wildlife.

Spino

Arachnopeon
You should tell us roughly what you plan to research on. Spider silk? Web structure? or else? What are your experiences in terms of keeping Ts? The Ts you listed is not fun to mess with, and it actually takes a while for them to web their enclosures.
Put simply, I am observing web structure and web deformities when given minute doses of bio active chemicals (such as caffeine). I have done this experiment once before, but it was much less planned out.
For your concern about my experience, I must admit I am not an expert when it comes to arachnids. I'm mostly a snake guy. However, I've kept several species of both tarantulas, scorpions, and other arachnids. Species such as P. murinus will no doubt be a challenge for me, but after extensive research I'm ready for any consequences, which may happen even if I practice extreme caution.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Illegal to buy from Europe without the proper papers. Which are expensive.

LLL sucks. The other one probably does too. Reptile dealers in general should be avoided.

Caribena web like mad, and don't have the speed and venom of P murinus.

Demonclaws

Arachnosquire
Put simply, I am observing web structure and web deformities when given minute doses of bio active chemicals (such as caffeine). I have done this experiment once before, but it was much less planned out.
For your concern about my experience, I must admit I am not an expert when it comes to arachnids. I'm mostly a snake guy. However, I've kept several species of both tarantulas, scorpions, and other arachnids. Species such as P. murinus will no doubt be a challenge for me, but after extensive research I'm ready for any consequences, which may happen even if I practice extreme caution.
You should not get a tarantula then. Go for a orb weaver, or other true spiders that makes a web. T's don't really have a web structure, its kinda random and depends on anchor points. Those T enclosures you see with tons of webbing will take months, and you certainly wont see much webbing compared to orb weavers (Edit: Your Ts will be slings).

Spino

Arachnopeon
You should not get a tarantula then. Go for a orb weaver, or other true spiders what makes a web. T's don't really have a web structure, its kinda random and depends on anchor points. Those T enclosures you see with tons of webbing will take months, and you certainly wont see much webbing compared to orb weavers.
Orb weaver season is ending now, which sucks. Now it's almost impossible to find a decent amount of them. Do you know of any species that might make a good replacement?
I should also mention that I meant the chemical makeup of the web, rather than the actual architecture of the web itself. Sorry for that mistake.

ShyDragoness

Arachnobaron
Orb weaver season is ending now, which sucks. Now it's almost impossible to find a decent amount of them. Do you know of any species that might make a good replacement?
I should also mention that I meant the chemical makeup of the web, rather than the actual architecture of the web itself. Sorry for that mistake.
have you looked into getting Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens? They're mad webbers but kinda skittish, easy care

Swoop

Arachnosquire
There's an ad in the classifieds for OBT slings for under $9. They're 3/4" but the 1-1 1/2" OBT I'm babysitting has webbed a lot.

I don't think you should get OW slings if you don't have a lot of experience with T's but you know the consequences and you're an adult so if that's what you're going to do, that's probably the best place to get them.

Demonclaws

Arachnosquire
I really can't tell you which species/genus are available in US, as I never looked into them. I had a couple golden orb weavers (Nephila clavata) when I lived in Taiwan. They were everywhere in the woods.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you are researching the effects of bioactive chemicals on web structure, you really need a spider that makes a structured web. Cobwebs (like black and brown widows make) would not be suitable, nor would tarantula webs which tend to be pretty haphazard, with their structure determined more by topography and anchor points. I don't know that it would be possible to identify anomalies or deformities in the structure of a tarantula's web or a cobweb. That's why orb weavers are traditionally used for this sort of experiment.

Bugs in Cyberspace has some orbweavers in stock: http://shop.bugsincyberspace.com/Other-Spiders_c23.htm

"Small orbweaver" (possibly Zygiella notata) $4.00/each
Spined Micarathena $9.99/each
Araneus diadematus $5.00/each

I don't know how many they have of each, but their prices are good and they have a pretty good reputation for reliability, too. If you need more than they have listed, they encourage you to call or email them because they can sometimes collect more as needed.

The golden orb weavers are very cool - but because they make such a BIG web, I've heard they are a bit of a challenge to maintain in captivity - particularly if you are going to be needing nine of them. I didn't know LLL was carrying them. I might have to look into it. While I don't necessarily like LLL, they are conveniently close and I go there for feeders and enclosures from time to time. They are also at all of the local shows.

*Edit: I just saw your comment about studying the chemical structure of the web rather than the architecture. I still think you're better off with an orb weaver, though. Tarantula slings will take quite a while to build up significant amounts of web - and there is always the risk of escape when you open the enclosure to collect the web. Also, if you go with an Old World tarantula, they do have a more potent venom - and if you go with a New World tarantula, they typically booby trap their webbing with a liberal sprinkling of urticating hairs which could make handling the web to collect, prepare, and analyze samples a bit of a hassle.

Last edited:

Spino

Arachnopeon
If you are researching the effects of bioactive chemicals on web structure, you really need a spider that makes a structured web. Cobwebs (like black and brown widows make) would not be suitable, nor would tarantula webs which tend to be pretty haphazard, with their structure determined more by topography and anchor points. I don't know that it would be possible to identify anomalies or deformities in the structure of a tarantula's web or a cobweb. That's why orb weavers are traditionally used for this sort of experiment.

Bugs in Cyberspace has some orbweavers in stock: http://shop.bugsincyberspace.com/Other-Spiders_c23.htm

"Small orbweaver" (possibly Zygiella notata) $4.00/each
Spined Micarathena $9.99/each
Araneus diadematus $5.00/each

I don't know how many they have of each, but their prices are good and they have a pretty good reputation for reliability, too. If you need more than they have listed, they encourage you to call or email them because they can sometimes collect more as needed.

The golden orb weavers are very cool - but because they make such a BIG web, I've heard they are a bit of a challenge to maintain in captivity - particularly if you are going to be needing nine of them. I didn't know LLL was carrying them. I might have to look into it. While I don't necessarily like LLL, they are conveniently close and I go there for feeders and enclosures from time to time. They are also at all of the local shows.

*Edit: I just saw your comment about studying the chemical structure of the web rather than the architecture. I still think you're better off with an orb weaver, though. Tarantula slings will take quite a while to build up significant amounts of web - and there is always the risk of escape when you open the enclosure to collect the web. Also, if you go with an Old World tarantula, they do have a more potent venom - and if you go with a New World tarantula, they typically booby trap their webbing with a liberal sprinkling of urticating hairs which could make handling the web to collect, prepare, and analyze samples a bit of a hassle.
I've contacted bugsincyberspace before, but I was too late unfortunately. It's too late into the year the collect that amount. That's why I've been looking into other species.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've contacted bugsincyberspace before, but I was too late unfortunately. It's too late into the year the collect that amount. That's why I've been looking into other species.
Would black widow spiders work? You live in Arizona, so they should be pretty easy to collect pretty much year round and they do make a fair amount of webbing. They also are super easy to keep in captivity - you just want to be sure you collect your web samples with tongs or a stick or something, rather than sticking your bare fingers directly in the web - but that would be true of tarantulas, too.

Spino

Arachnopeon
Would black widow spiders work? You live in Arizona, so they should be pretty easy to collect pretty much year round and they do make a fair amount of webbing. They also are super easy to keep in captivity - you just want to be sure you collect your web samples with tongs or a stick or something, rather than sticking your bare fingers directly in the web - but that would be true of tarantulas, too.
Black widows sounded good. Sadly, they also create their webs somewhat randomly. Also, the facility I'm working with doesn't allow them, most likely because of their potent venom.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Black widows sounded good. Sadly, they also create their webs somewhat randomly. Also, the facility I'm working with doesn't allow them, most likely because of their potent venom.
I thought you said you were only looking at the chemical composition of the webbing? If so, then the randomness shouldn't matter - same as with the tarantulas. But if your facility doesn't allow black widows because of their venom, they probably won't like old world tarantula species, either. At least widows tend to be relatively slow and are highly unlikely to ever leave their webs. They will retreat when you open the cage or collect your samples. My widow doesn't even stand her ground when I pull her egg sacs (because I don't want to be overrun with baby widow spiders). Some tarantulas, on the other hand - such as the OBT - may stand their ground or bolt out of the cage when you open it, particularly if you are messing with their webs.