New to Amblypygi

gzophia

Arachnoknight
while E. amanica is indeed a species of YouTube infamy, it is not the largest species, and more so appears that way due to its exaggerated features and perhaps some clever work by the cameraman. Heterophrynus batesii (sadly lost in the United States hobby) claims the title of longest whipspan reaching ~24 inches across.

Since a 2021 import, Acanthophrynus have become increasingly available in the US. I’m currently waiting on two hopefully gravid females to drop eggsacs, but @Sarkhan42 is currently offering older instar males, although he also sells small unsexed babies when new broods are ready.
Ah okay, thanks so much for clarifying! I completely forgot about H. batesii despite reading about the species just a few weeks ago. Now THAT is the world's largest arachnid in terms of length! If only it could be obtained...
Nice, I did notice a jump in pictures of that species in recent years. Glad to hear that they are available; I always wanted one and now I have new hope. Good luck with yours!

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Worth it to say that amblypygi in arid environments seek out the same kind of humid/moist microclimate. An animal from these environments can tolerate dryness better, but it still shouldn't be the norm 🙂

As for molting surfaces, they can molt off straight vertical angles, horizontal or negative (slopes). They're quite good at finding an adequate spot
Mine molted off the lid last time.

lowtoad

Arachnopeon
This thread has me genuinely researching these guys. Always thought they were herbivores for some reason so I always brushed them off. Seeing pics of them eating is absolutely brutal though they're sick.
actually I got to see my own Amblypygi eat and it was so cool! I watched his pedipalps extend and snatch the cricket up, it was awesome. I was so happy to see that he’s eating too! I definitely recommend these guys!

gzophia

Arachnoknight
actually I got to see my own Amblypygi eat and it was so cool! I watched his pedipalps extend and snatch the cricket up, it was awesome. I was so happy to see that he’s eating too! I definitely recommend these guys!
Phenomenal! I'll be getting some more too, hopefully!

HOITrance

Arachnosquire
So very thankful for this thread! These and vingaroons are on my list of things I would like to eventually keep. THis one is def getting BM'd

gzophia

Arachnoknight
So very thankful for this thread! These and vingaroons are on my list of things I would like to eventually keep. THis one is def getting BM'd
Yeah, they are great animals. Quite different from tarantulas in terms of enclosure setup, especially amblypygi, but once you get the hang of it, they are easy and rewarding to keep!

I especially love vinegaroons... I have 5 and they take less than 5 minutes TOTAL every week to care for; I'll be getting more today!

gzophia

Arachnoknight
@lowtoad I just got one male and one female Phrynus maesi; I guess I'm part of this species gang now! Hopefully I can breed these beautiful arachnids.

I love this species since it is HUGE for a Phrynus spp. and is very easy to sex based on appearance.

The only issue is that they are often sold as "P. mexicanus" haha, which doesn't exist.