New Tarantula Owner

Froggula

Arachnopeon
I recently got a 5-6 yr old Arizona Blonde tarantula (Aphonopelma Chalcodes). Ive had it for about 3-4 weeks now and I can't get it to eat. I've read they often go on hunger strikes and can go weeks or months without eating. I've tried a near dead cricket horn worms and she currently has a few dubias living in her tank. I'm unsure if there is an issue with husbandry ( everything is dry except her water bowl and small area in corner opposite her hide. Substrate is maybe an inch of coco fiber in a 10 gallon tank. Her enclosure is in my office on the floor as it's not a high traffic area. Anything I could do better or should know?

Thanks,

Froggula 🐸

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Welcome to ab. Pictures of the cage and t would be helpful. Here’s a guide
[

cold blood

Staff member
First, the enclosure is double the size it needs to be....it also needs to be filled up with substrate over halfway, its a fall risk currently.

Next, its plenty plump...this species (any slow growing species) has an extremely low food requirement, and when they are fat, that food requirement is ZERO. Even when this species is freshly molted and at its hungriest, one cricket twice a month would be more than enough.

Get the dubia out and stop worrying about getting it to eat, its so low on the priority list that it doesn't even make the list.

Mesh tops can be dangerous as well, ts can get their tarsal claws stuck in them and lose limbs and even fall to their deaths. Go to the hardware store and get a piece of plexi cut to fit the tank and drill ventilation holes....or just go get a smaller enclosure that is better suited.

Froggula

Arachnopeon
Thank you. The abdomen will start to shrink/ be less plump when it's hungry?

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Ive had it for about 3-4 weeks now and I can't get it to eat
There is no reason at all to worry about this!
she currently has a few dubias living in her tank.
You can take them out, its generally only advisable to leave prey in for 24hrs, in to attempt to get it to eat, but if it has not eaten in that time you can just take it out. There's really no need to ever leave prey in there 24/7

Here's some pictures of Snoopy and her enclosure.
You definitely need to replace the lid, ill show an example of mine below about how this can be done.
Substrate is maybe an inch of coco fiber in a 10 gallon tank
This is really not enough given you enclosure dimensions. It's really not set up adequately, like @cold blood said you need a lot more substrate, at least filled up to halfway full of substrate, if this enclosure is kept.
On this track as well it would be advisable to give it a water dish and a hide. Look up enclosures and vivariums here and you'll see how you can set this up.

Here's how you can DIY a life replacement for your tank!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
inch of sub in a 10 gal? Death trap due to potential fall
this bad infos coming from somewhere. Outdated caresheets?
That’s how the pet shops here keep them and ridiculous YouTube videos made by people who have no idea. I saw a Goliath bird eater with an inch of dirt and no water bowl.
Never mind these people just don’t care. :banghead:

Last edited:

caddude

Arachnopeon
Arachnosupporter
My A Chalcodes was in hiding for six months, just came out of the hide recently, and has only eaten once. It is not anything to worry about, as he(?) is quite plump still...

Attachments

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
My A Chalcodes was in hiding for six months, just came out of the hide recently, and has only eaten once. It is not anything to worry about, as he(?) is quite plump still...
yep your right .
I’m generally only concerned with hydration, and usually unless there’s a sucking stomach issue, they’re fine. Skinny Ts I only worry if there not eating , there was a recent thread on feeding . Forgot the name.