new tarantula owner

andrewz17

Arachnopeon
Hey guys, I got a mexican red legged about a couple weeks ago.
Its about 5 months old (according to the seller)
quick question, is it possible to determine sex at this age?
If so what features should i look out for?
This is my very first tarantula, been doing a lot of research, but cant find a good site to help me with this.

And is there a way to tell the mood of the tarantula, mine has stayed in a corner behind these plastic vines, and climbs them, but doesnt go any where else, unless i use the paintbrush to direct it.

Versi*JP*Color

Arachnoknight
How large is it?
If it is over an inch or two it is not 5 months old.
Most tarantulas are sexable at the juvenile stage.
About 3 inches.

andrewz17

Arachnopeon
From top leg to bottom its about an inch maybe a bit more

---------- Post added at 10:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 PM ----------

the guy said who worked at the store said it was that age and its too young to tell the sex, im just wondering what age i will be able to tell

Versi*JP*Color

Arachnoknight
From top leg to bottom its about an inch maybe a bit more

---------- Post added at 10:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 PM ----------

the guy said who worked at the store said it was that age and its too young to tell the sex, im just wondering what age i will be able to tell
You're going to have to wait a while before it is able to be sexed.
Judging by how slow they grow it is probably about a year old.

andrewz17

Arachnopeon
oh wow, i did not know they grow that slow, still waiting on its first molt :D well if he was wrong about age, i hope hes right about the species, cause the mexican fireleg looks similar

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
oh wow, i did not know they grow that slow, still waiting on its first molt :D well if he was wrong about age, i hope hes right about the species, cause the mexican fireleg looks similar
Pics would probably help.