New Tarantula Owner: Worried about lethargic T

21Cabbage

Arachnopeon
Hey guys, I’m a newbie T owner who just got his first tarantula from Jamie’s Tarantulas. Specifically it’s a T. Vagans sling who just arrived and has been put into his enclosure. I’m posting because I’m a little worried about this fella’s inactivity. He is completely frozen and doesn’t respond to the moss he is under nudging him gently. I’ll post a picture of the fella on arrival and now. Do you think it could be stress? Or perhaps he is molting?
T arrival.jpg
Here is how he is looking now after about 4 hours of being in his enclosure
Tarantula now.jpg
Also: just in case you need a picture of the enclosure itself, here you go: Tarantula box.jpg

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
If it has only been in there for four hours, you need to walk away. They take time to adjust and if it just took a bumpy ride in the mail and got placed in a brand new enclosure, it's going to be a minute before it feels like figuring out where it is. Its whole world just got turned upside down. Give the little dude some space.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
You should only worry when you see a mushroom growing on top of it. They can stay days without moving...

Finikan

Painter of Poorly Rendered Images
Arachnosupporter +
It looks a bit moist in there, you may want to dry it out and add some ventilation holes. Besides that, yes, it's stressed.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Congrats on your new T!

Now: Don't nudge him!!! Let the poor guy settle in. He may burrow, he may not. He may sit for days in same position, he may move so often you can't find him! Just let him settle in, let his digs dry out a bit. Add a water bowl (water cap, something small). But leave the T be! I promise you this T knows more about being a T than you and I do! Stop checking on him every 15 minutes!!!! :)

Seriously, if you see/witness anything distressing -- post again. But for now, let the poor T settle in!

21Cabbage

Arachnopeon
Okay, thank you so much guys. The enclosure is damp in this picture because I decided to mist it a wee bit on the sides for his arrival. It isn't always this wet. So would I have to mist him if I put in a little water bowl? Or could I just overfill it now and then? I've heard slings need more moisture than juvis and adults.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Your substrate is pretty moist so there is no need to overfill anything, it's a T vagans, not a fish. Glue a bottle cap at the bottom and fill it.

GrimMelvin

Arachnopeon
Don't mist.
Provide a water dish and add water to the substrate directly if needed.

Won't that cause mould to grow? I've seen many guides say to mist, but people on AB are of the consensus that it's better to overflow the water dish or add water to the substrate directly. I hear mould is dangerous for Ts, so I'm a bit worried about which option would be the correct one here.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Won't that cause mould to grow? I've seen many guides say to mist, but people on AB are of the consensus that it's better to overflow the water dish or add water to the substrate directly. I hear mould is dangerous for Ts, so I'm a bit worried about which option would be the correct one here.
If you don't let things stay too wet for too long it's not usually an issue with proper ventilation.

CarlixTomix

Arachnopeon
I hear mould is dangerous for Ts
Mold is not dangerous for your tarantula, so no need to worry about that.