New T. ???

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Greetings all, I am thinking about getting a Haplopelma lividum (cobalt blue) and was wondering if I could get a little feedback...I have done some reading and some info says high humidity high temps and so forth...is the care for this T. easy or difficult...what I mean is would room temp(70 to 73 degrees) and a water dish and 7 to 8 inches of peat and a started burrow down one side of the tank be ok ?? the tank I am thinking of using is very tall but not alot of floor space, is this type of set up ok since from what I have read they spend all there time in there burrow ?? any info would be greatly appreciated...

As Always, Mike ;)

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
Your set up sounds on target. Be advised that with an H lividum you will basically have a nice tank of dirt with a hole in it. :) They tend to stay under ground most of the time with occasional night time strolls. When you do get to see them it sure is a treat. Luckily for me, mine dug her burrow with the front right on the galss so I can see her when she thinks she is hidden.

Aviculariinae

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If you start a hole down the side of the tank where you can see her she will burrow the rest of the way and you will be able to see her!I just have mine ina sweet jar with no water bowel everyso often i just pour some water down her burrow! It likes it humid so keep the ground moist;) :D

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for the info...the only concern that I have is the floor is very limited, floor space is only about 6 to 8 inches either way...the tank is in a hex shape but as I mentioned is very deep...about 10 inches to be exact...what are there feeding habits like...

Regards, Mike :D

Aviculariinae

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Feed them at night i find is best,since they like there privacy,but they are all round good feeders,As for floor space what you said is perfect!;)

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for the info !! just placed my order today for a juvinial female, approx 2 to 3 inches...hopefully I will have her in a few weeks !! looking forward to my newest addition !!

K MUELLER

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yeah ,I 'm in the cobalt fever too!! I just ordered one from Joy in alabama- a baby beast, can't wait for the adventure of caring for it!! Later-Karl

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Good luck with yours, perhaps you can post some pics when it arrives...

Critterfarm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here's the way I keep Haplopelma sp. fresh imports to acclimate them, they seem to love this setup.

Take a 1 gallon plastic jar/pretzel container and drill or burn a series of 1/4" holes in a ring around the container about 1" from the bottom, and another ring as high on the container as you can. Fill the container about 1/2" full with clean natural aquarium gravel. On top of the gravel, place pieces of slate or other flat rocks, covering as much of the gravel as you can. Fill the container about 4" from the top with 100% peat. Set the container in a basin of water until the peat is dark about 1/2 way up. Jam a hole down the peat against the side of the container with a dowel rod, just to the level where the peat begins to get wet. Sprinkle dried grass and pieces of dead leaves on top of the peat, the spider will use these to decorate the entrance of the burrow.

The bottom of this setup holds water, and is very humid, while the surface can dry out completely. Every few months when you notice the peat is drying out, submerse the container again, the spider dosen't mind getting wet in it's burrow at all.

The only drawback to letting them burrow in this type of container is trying to get them out. :D

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
You have picked one of my VERY FAVORITE species!!! ALL the Haplopelma are gorgeous and feisty little creatures!! I'm collecting each and every one I can get my grubby hands on!

I use a b.b.q. skewer to GENTLY coax them out... I use the same type of setup with the holes at the bottom. 8" in circumference is PLENTY!!

Ya'll who can see yours are lucky... I started the burrow in the corner so I could easily see her. She adopted it right away... then webbed it up to keep my prying eyes out!:(

CHECK OUT THIS THREAD

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for all the pointers...the tank that I was talking about is a 2 gallon hex shaped tank...will get it set up soon...

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
MizM, just wondering how many cobalt blues do you have ??

Regards, Mike
:D

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Just one, I've had her for three years and I love her dearly. I have a H. "longipedum" and just lost two H. schmidtis. I'm in the market for more lividums though, a friend is "hooking me up!"