New T owner

hanaecc

Arachnopeon
Hi folks!

I just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself since I've been lurking for a while now.

I'm Hana, and I've been keeping reptiles for almost two decades but only recently have I thought about keeping tarantulas. For the last ten years or so, I've gone between being somewhat afraid and truly interested in how they behave.
Back in October, I was at the Tinley NARBC show with my boyfriend, and when we were walking around I turned to him and said,"Know what? I'm going to do it, I'm going to get a tarantula." He was ok with the idea, so when we got back I started researching what sort of tarantula would be a good fit for me. Part of my research lead me to this amazing site with it's wonderful forum and gallery.
I hadn't really decided what I wanted when I went to my local reptile show last sunday, although I knew I didn't want a "pet hole". I wanted something that wasn't brown and would be interesting to watch. After a long chat with a gentleman who works at an exotics store only about a mile from my job, we decided I should come in the next day and see what I liked from his selection of slings.
Monday's work day went impossibly slow, but at long last it was time to go to the store and select my new baby. He showed me a number of different T's, including some Avics (which I will probably add later), but when he brought out the P. irminia sling I was captivated. I told him that it was the one I wanted, so he put the little guy in a new tarantula cube with a nice little fake plant.
I've been trying to leave him alone for a while to reduce how much stress I put on him, but I do go peek at him every morning and after work. I'm so enthralled with this new addition. I never thought an "icky spider" would elicit feelings of "isn't it adorable!!" in me, but that's life. :)
I'm sure he won't be my only T, I've already started browsing for what I want to add next. For now though, I'm happy with my little guy.

So, let me introduce Drizzt! tarantula 029.JPG

mmfh

Arachnobaron
Welcome to the addiction! Very nice choice, cute sling.

Billeh

Arachnosquire
Welcome to the board, and welcome to the hobby!! That's a beautiful sling you have there, it's a unique experience watching it grow from so small to so big! Enjoy your new T!!

hanaecc

Arachnopeon
Thank you! I'm really enjoying having this little one. Everything else in my life is so demanding that it's nice to have something that the enjoyment I get out of it is greater than the work I put into it. :)

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Those Psalmopoeus sure are fast haha. Have fun with your new little guy.

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thank you! I'm really enjoying having this little one. Everything else in my life is so demanding that it's nice to have something that the enjoyment I get out of it is greater than the work I put into it. :)
Nice. Those are cool :)

Dreadlock Wolf

Arachnopeon
Welcome, Glad you came out of the shadows.

And what a great little fella.

Enjoy the addiction....

Tgrip77

Arachnosquire
hi, welcome...im pretty new to the hobby too. but ive got 5 suntigers, 2 of which are over 3 inches. i dont know how adult suntigers act, but it seems like from 2 inches on, they hide a lot. out of the 59 species that i have right now, the P. irminia is far from my favorite. if i were you, dont hesitate on some new additions.

RockinOutAmber

Arachnosquire
Welcome! I felt the same way as you when I got my first tarantula. You should get a GBB next. They love to eat, are colorful, and will web up the whole cage.

hanaecc

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the warm welcome!
At some point I do plan to get a few more, I but I'm really enjoying little Drittz right now. :)
I've been looking at a few of the different Avics. for my next T. They seem to be well liked and they're all beautiful. I think I may end up with as many T's as snakes. :)

fartbreath

Arachnopeon
Congrats! Welcome to the addiction, er, hobby! My P. Irminia is already pushing 1.5" now and is lightning fast. I am so looking forward to see it grow into adulthood.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Welcome to the T hobby!!
Grats... make sure you provide very high ventalation.. stagnant air kills this species very fast!!
Have fun with your T ! :) P irminias are cool

Shadowdog

Arachnopeon
Welcome to the addiction. At first one then two, then six, then fifteen..............and onando

You should come to the herp show at the Holiday Inn Southwest at I-44 and Lindbergh on March 18th. Always some good buys and selection there.

And, check out RobC's videos on Youtube. He is from the St. Louis area also.