New substrate idea

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
while redoing my desert tank today, i decided to try an experiment. I used a bottom base of play sand, but then on top of that I layed down about an inch of Terra-cotta. I had a bunch of terra-cotta pots lying around, so i ground a few into powder, and used it as substrate. So far i have 5 CE and a P liosoma on it, and they cant seem to tell a difference, plus the bright red color of it is absolutely STUNNING! It takes quite a bit of effort, but i think the end result was well worth it. and so is the fact that my wallet is still full.

John

Highlander

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
chad said:
what is Terra-cotta????
It is a type of clay that they use for making pots for plants. You have probably seen it before. Especially if you've ever been to a nursery.

Fini

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Be careful using powdered clay as a substrate. Clay is well known for causing a variety of respiratory issues. I don't know if this would necessarily apply to T’s.

Perhaps someone is a little more informed on this?

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Fini said:
Be careful using powdered clay as a substrate. Clay is well known for causing a variety of respiratory issues. I don't know if this would necessarily apply to T’s.

Perhaps someone is a little more informed on this?
well, that is true, but unlike previous attempts to use clay as a substrate, the Terra-cotta i'm using has already been fired, and so is essentialy stone.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
skinheaddave said:
You're still going to get dust, but given the prevelence of fine clay particles in the soils of parts of the SW USA and other arid scorpion habitats, it really shouldn't be an issue.

There's some thoughts on clays here:
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=36559

Cheers,
Dave
well, you will get dust with any fine grade sand, but this downside of unfired clay is that if it gets wet, it will stick to itself and anything on it, so it could possibly cake over the booklungs and suffocate the scorp. but i think with the firing, this will not be an issue.

John.