New stuff from the local reptile show!

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
We got a few new pets from our local reptile show. Picked up a 5.5" female N.chromatus, a baby bearded dragon (my sons) and a 6" female leopard gecko (my wifes). We could use some advice on the lizards - being new to them. We received some basic care instructions but would love some more info from more experienced keepers. Thanks!

Here's a little video of all three:

[YOUTUBE]ljAKGQuHbnY[/YOUTUBE]

Here's a pic of the female N.chromatus (judging by the sexing pic below):

Here's some pics of the baby bearded dragon:

Here's some pics of the leopard gecko:

Thompson08

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very nice rob! You can house leapord gecko with newspaper substrate, keep it moist. Feed them mealworms, give them a calcium dish. And give them atleast two hides. They poop a lot, congrats!

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
That N. chromatus ventral pic is a "textbook" male IMHO...

Bill

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I dont where thay keep coming up with these color morph.But theres always
something new.

Dutcharachno

Arachnopeon
Thompson08 i think you give rob wrong information about the leopardgecko, you shouldnt keep these moist they are dessert animals , and mealworms are low nutrition its better to feed it crickits,dubia's,grasshoppers and they really like waxworms but dont give it to much of those cause theyre verry fat.

DansDragons

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
mealworms are actually a great staple for leopard geckos. most large scale breeders feed them exclusively. however, variety is best ;)

leos are a desert reptile, but they do need moderate humidity. easiest way to provide them with humidity is a "humid hide" which is just a container filled halfway with moist eco earth, paper towel or moss. with a hole for access of course.

Diablo1984

Arachnopeon
Thompson08 i think you give rob wrong information about the leopardgecko, you shouldnt keep these moist they are dessert animals , and mealworms are low nutrition its better to feed it crickits,dubia's,grasshoppers and they really like waxworms but dont give it to much of those cause theyre verry fat.
I agree!

I used to breed these leo's for a couple of years. With much succes i can say!
Dont keep them moist. The are dessert animals indeed.
Give them a moist container where the can lay eggs ect.
Give them alternate food like Dutcharachno say!

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
mealworms are actually a great staple for leopard geckos. most large scale breeders feed them exclusively. however, variety is best ;)

leos are a desert reptile, but they do need moderate humidity. easiest way to provide them with humidity is a "humid hide" which is just a container filled halfway with moist eco earth, paper towel or moss. with a hole for access of course.
Thanks dan!!!

Dutcharachno

Arachnopeon
really Meal worms are not recommended as a staple in the diet of leopard gecko's. If they are used, they should be considered a very occasional snack or treat as the meal worm shell (chitin) is hard for a gecko to digest, and are poor in any nutritional value and the calcium/fosfor ratio is verry bad.

DansDragons

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
if this is true, tell me why most large scale breeders have their leopard geckos on a mealworm staple? i knew a guy a few years ago that fed nothing but mealworms and his geckos where the healthiest i have ever seen in person.

really Meal worms are not recommended as a staple in the diet of leopard gecko's. If they are used, they should be considered a very occasional snack or treat as the meal worm shell (chitin) is hard for a gecko to digest, and are poor in any nutritional value and the calcium/fosfor ratio is verry bad.

Thompson08

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if this is true, tell me why most large scale breeders have their leopard geckos on a mealworm staple? i knew a guy a few years ago that fed nothing but mealworms and his geckos where the healthiest i have ever seen in person.
I agree mealworms are a good feeder for reptiles...

Thompson08

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank explain to me why most care sheets say to provide moist moss or substrate for the gecko to properly shed?

Diablo1984

Arachnopeon
Thank explain to me why most care sheets say to provide moist moss or substrate for the gecko to properly shed?
you just need a place moist where the gecko's can lay ther eggs ect.
Just a, how do you say in englisch ? The plastic box where you get your ice-cream in.

Diablo1984

Arachnopeon
I Do not have that experience. I think meal worms are just a snack for the leo.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
man...thats female 100% sure, garunteed. there is absolutly no male to that!
I agree.....didn't want to start a war.....one thing tht is funny is the booklungs are a bit foward but that furrow screams "give me a emboli" LOL