New spider, considering P. irminia

Dragonmastergod

Arachnopeon
So I want to stay in the tarantula hobby after the death of Ariados. We are currently talking to a breeder. We told him how long we had Ariados and that we prefered Arboreals and he suggested numerous species, however the one that stuck out to us was the irminia. I haven't found much on here about the irminia itself, but maybe I haven't looked enough. I want to do extensive research this time before we get it to make sure we know everything. If you have info about this T or a credible care sheet about one, the help would be greatly appreciated.
A few questions
Is this T Arboreal or terrestrial? I've looked around a bit and from what I've seen it is mostly Arboreal but can be terrestrial.

I am currently considering reusing the set-up we had Ariados if it is suitable for this species. There will be a picture of the post below. The question basically is is it suitable for this species. We already know that we will have to make sure it is clean enough and will basically make it a new tank.

What does this species eat. For Ariados we got crickets, but if we could look into different food supplies.

That's all for now, but I may edit with more. Thank you everyone.
(Said I would put a picture of the tank sorry)
IMG_20190305_180940122.jpg

Last edited:

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I do not recommend an irminia to a beginner just starting out, they are quite ready to take offense at anything you do and throw a very nasty temper tantrum. They are lightning fast too. They are also very reclusive and afraid of light (photophobic). If you had one, you might only see it 20% of the time, if even that sometimes.

I would recommend a C. versicolor, if you are set on another arboreal. Nice colour changes: they start out blue and mature to green and red. They are one of the hardier “Avic” species, but still need careful attention to cross ventilation on the sides and not just on the top. Also once it makes a web, spray clean water in a spray bottle like one or two squirts on the web maybe once every ten days or so.

Cherri

Arachnopeon
I recommend the p irminia. It's my favorite species of T. They're very quick. Very doesn't do it justice. But they're an amazing species to have. Very beautiful. If you're ready for a lightening fast T with a nasty bite (not OW nasty), go for it. They need room to burrow in and foliage and cork bark.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Why the face palm, bud?
The OP is very, very new and “green” to tarantulas. They are a teenager who just had their Avic die and they were absolutely not aware that P. irminias are middling to advanced to keep and have temperaments that couldn’t be farther than an Avic. I don’t think he is ready for such a fast and defensive species as only the second tarantula he has ever owned.

Dragonmastergod

Arachnopeon
The only reason I was considering a irminia was because the breeder I'm talking to said it would be a good step up to a more advanced spider, and only after a bit more research and Etiennens comment did not realize it was that much more of a defensive T. I am really looking for a spider that fits the current set up I have, possibly with some more adjustment (foilage, substrate, etc). Currently we are waiting until tommorow to send the breeder a message about the different spiders they have since it's a Facebook page and not a website. They also suggested a P. Cambridgei or a P. Pulcher, however those seem to be aggressive T,s as well. I agree with Etiennens that I am not ready for a more aggressive spider as I haven't really learned the improvision with Ts yet and wouldn't know what to do with myself if it runs out while I'm cleaning it's cage or something. Thank you for your responses and help.

Cherri

Arachnopeon
The OP is very, very new and “green” to tarantulas. They are a teenager who just had their Avic die and they were absolutely not aware that P. irminias are middling to advanced to keep and have temperaments that couldn’t be farther than an Avic. I don’t think he is ready for such a fast and defensive species as only the second tarantula he has ever owned.
Oh I didn't know he was a teen. Still responsible teens can keep a p irminia. It's not a pokie. Still not reccomend though. I'd recommend a c versicolor.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
The only reason I was considering a irminia was because the breeder I'm talking to said it would be a good step up to a more advanced spider, and only after a bit more research and Etiennens comment did not realize it was that much more of a defensive T. I am really looking for a spider that fits the current set up I have, possibly with some more adjustment (foilage, substrate, etc). Currently we are waiting until tommorow to send the breeder a message about the different spiders they have since it's a Facebook page and not a website. They also suggested a P. Cambridgei or a P. Pulcher, however those seem to be aggressive T,s as well. Thank you for your responses and help.
Take a look at the genuses Avicularia, Caribena, and Ybyrapora.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
I've found P. pulcher to be less spastic than P. irmina, less inclined to bolt for no reason. Yes that cage would work, but not for a small sling or juvy. I think another Avic would probably be more enjoyable for you though. Irminia tend to bolt out of enclosures faster than you can blink an eye. Avics do more of a... saunter.

cold blood

Staff member
They also suggested a P. Cambridgei or a P. Pulcher, however those seem to be aggressive
The most defensive member of the genus is, hands down without question, irminia...in fact its one of the most defensive ts, period.
They can also be exceedingly reclusive. Pulcher can be reclusive and defensive, but not generally to irminia levels. Cambridgei is the calmest member of the genus, and the best t to prepare one for old worlds...theyre also the least reclusive member of the genus...this helps, because one cannot learn much from a t one never sees. The more you can observe, the more you can learn.

That said, you should probably wait on a cam as well. I would recommend looking for an adult female A. avic.
What does this species eat
Ts don't have specific preferences...theyre opportunistic and will eat pretty much anything they can over power. Anything you feed one t, you can feed to any t.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would definitely not recommend a P. irminia for anyone who is still fairly new to keeping spiders! I had one a few years ago, and that thing was feistier than any of my other spiders - including OW's like P. vittata and M. balfouri! The pokie and the balfouri just run into their dirt curtain/burrows if I get too close, but that irminia would throw threat poses if I got within a few feet of her cage to look at her! (It was actually pretty cute, since she was just a fluffy little thing - kind of like watching a kitten puff up and hiss at a big dog.) They are lightning fast, and just as likely to bolt out of the cage as to run and hide.

An Avicularia or Caribena would be a much better choice if you want an arboreal spider. They're not as fast, have less of an attitude - and spend a lot more time out in the open where you can see them!