New slings digging burrows

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I just got several slings, all appear to be healthy. Several have decided to dig themselves a hole. Habitats for all are plastic display boxes w/lids from Michael's measuring 4"x4"x5" filled with 2-2.5" of eco-earth. Boxes have a tilted piece of pine bark or a low lying fake double leaf plant as a hide. All have a snapple cap water dish.

1" G. aureostriata burrowed in under hide and completely blocked off. Still digging.

1" E. campestratus burrowed in under hide to bottom of box. Still digging.

1" G. pulchra also burrowed in.

1/2" B. vagans in vial also looks to be starting a burrow.

The 2" B. albopilosum shows no interest in burrowing. Nor does the 3/4" L. parahybana.

Is this normal behavior for these species that are burrowing? I was under the impression they were terrestrial, but not necessarily a burrow living species.

I thought about rehousing them with just 1/2" of substrate, but was worried about the resulting 4.5" height from the bottom to the top of the enclosure since they initially crawled to the top when I first put them in the box.

Seems like it will be hard to feed them if they are buried. Plus there isn't much to observe when they're down in a hole.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
These species will sometimes burrow as slings, but will become more and more visible as they become older/bigger. I typically feed pre-killed to most of mine 1" and under. If they have burrowed, I will put the food near the burrow and check back after a day or so to see if there is anything I need to pick up.

I don't typically give water dishes to any of mine until they reach about 2" or more.

Plus there isn't much to observe when they're down in a hole.
Unfortunately, this is the way that it often is when they are slings. However, it is worth the wait. :)

Nate

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I’ve observed with all my spiderlings (1 cm or under) they all burrow into the substrate. I think its instinct to avoid becoming prey or cannibalized.

Juliancito

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I did noticed this behavior too,
I currently have some B.smithi spiderlings, and almost all of them ( 6 of 9 ) have burrowed and actually sealed the entrance of their burrows..:? ..i think they are preparing to molt....hopefully.:D

ColdBloodedOne

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Is Pine Bark Ok

Is it ok to use pine bark in your enclosures? I was under the impression it put off oils as well.

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
pine bark

The pine bark hides are flakes off of pine bark nuggets used for mulch in some flower beds. They are 10 years old and dry as a bone. I baked them in the oven to sterilize.

Whiskeypunk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
But some pines contain natural insecticides that can kill your pets. I dunno if 10 year-old pine bark would do it, but it's something i would absoulutely not risk at all. Baking them probably wouldn't remove the insecticides in the oils. The tarantula keepers guide goes so far as to say that you should not even keep a spider on cedar dresser, no matter what, and a cedar dresser can be much more then ten years old.

Yeah, my slings burrowed too. Now my chaco has reached 1 inch it's out a lot more, but it still has a burrow. Feeding isn't an issue, the spider will eat, or not. Whether or not it's in a burrow. Remember your spider knows what it's doing better then you do.

Edit: what? were you going to rehouse your terrestrial slings on 1/2 inch substrate just so you could see them better?

Last edited:

prodgers69

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My B vagans sling spent almost all its time underground until it reached 2.5"-3" in size, now it rarely burrows, and is always visable. (doesn't take long to reach that size).

Garbonzo13

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My B. vagan, and L. Parahybana are both petholes (each 2" in size) Both have sealed themselved in. My 1.5" C. Facinatum has burrowed but my 1.5" GBB stays out in open. Patience in definately a must.:)

Ennoozunu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My Brachypelma pallidum X vagans 1/2"-1" sling is also digging its self a hole.

My Brachypelma pallidum X vagans sling thats 1/2"-1" is in a deli container (until it gets bigger). Should I have some sort of water dish in it or should just moist soil(ecoearth) and the liquid in the prey be enough?

I ask this in this topic since I saw someone in this topic mention they don't have water dishes in their slings tank. (As it stands I currently have no water dish in the deli container. The ecoearth is moist. I've only had it for a day so far.)

Last edited: