new shelf full of enclosures

evilebe

Arachnosquire
i've had the tall beverage dispensers around for a while but never made all of them into enclosures until today. i ordered a bunch of two inch vents the other day and bought six more shoe boxes from the container store. i made them all into enclosures this afternoon. i have eight arboreal with four in use and eight terrestrial with four in use. i've got a pair of Aphonopelma species and a pair of giant desert hairy scorpions coming tomorrow but i may keep the scorps in something different and keep my shelf all tarantulas.
now the fun part,... filling them up.

cliff

tall.JPG

half tall.JPG

half short.JPG

pperrotta03

Arachnosquire
Looks great! Except those flowerpot hides aren't going to serve much of a purpose. What are you going to put in those?

And also is that a gorilla rack?

evilebe

Arachnosquire
Looks great! Except those flowerpot hides aren't going to serve much of a purpose. What are you going to put in those?

And also is that a gorilla rack?
i have g. roseas in them. why not much of a purpose?

no... it's a tarantula rack.

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
Uhhhh, nice rack? :)

I love those shoe boxes, but the store I get them from doesn't have the tall, high-heeled boxes. I'd like to get a few of those, but also, where did those tall beverage containers come from? I've seen them turned into terrariums before (not 8 of them in a row, but still) and I think they're quite nice looking. Are yours the ones with a 'landing' section about 1/3 from the bottom?

evilebe

Arachnosquire
Uhhhh, nice rack? :)

I love those shoe boxes, but the store I get them from doesn't have the tall, high-heeled boxes. I'd like to get a few of those, but also, where did those tall beverage containers come from? I've seen them turned into terrariums before (not 8 of them in a row, but still) and I think they're quite nice looking. Are yours the ones with a 'landing' section about 1/3 from the bottom?
the beverage dispensers are from wal mart but i haven't been able to find any in a while and i think they have been discontinued. i leave the "landing" area in on most of them but i have cut two out all of the way.

---------- Post added 09-12-2013 at 12:12 PM ----------

Lol well I have my stuff on that same rack

tappy tappa taparoo
i looked on homedepot.com and i believe it is an edsal but i bought it around a year ago and i can't remember for sure.

Ivan M

Arachnopeon
Looks very nice and neat, easy to feed and service the T'S. Good job with this.

sugarsandz

Arachnosquire
Very nice rack, I have the same one! I covered the shelves with fabric that looked cool under my tanks just to add some color.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Where did you get clear boxes? Those are cool!

2. How did you cut a hole in the plastic w/out cracking it? What tools did you use?

3. I like the setup, looks cool!

evilebe

Arachnosquire
thanks. the clear boxes on bottom are men's shoe boxes from the container store. they are about 10.00. to cut a hole in the thin acrylic i use a hole saw. the trick is to cut the hole very fast while not applying much pressure. i've cracked a couple.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Oh, THIS sucks, I checked online and I can't order them online. The nearest store is 2 hrs away...Sucks!

Thanks! a hole saw, sounds like a job for my Dremel to drill holes. I don't own a hole saw, just a drill.

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
...I don't own a hole saw, just a drill.
Hole saw is just a fancy term for "hole cutting drill bit." It's a round bit that fits any standard drill. For years I called them door-knob-makers. When I use one, I cut very slow and let the bit cool down. Faster speed cutting works as well too, but I find the bit will heat up quicker as well. I'm terribly impatient sometimes, so err on the side of caution is good for me.

For cutting a 2" hole through 3/8" acrylic, it takes about 20 minutes. If I take less time than that, I'll crack the edges around the hole.

Get some discard piece and practice, to find your ideal speed. Working with acrylic can be an art form.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hole saw is just a fancy term for "hole cutting drill bit." It's a round bit that fits any standard drill. For years I called them door-knob-makers. When I use one, I cut very slow and let the bit cool down. Faster speed cutting works as well too, but I find the bit will heat up quicker as well. I'm terribly impatient sometimes, so err on the side of caution is good for me.

For cutting a 2" hole through 3/8" acrylic, it takes about 20 minutes. If I take less time than that, I'll crack the edges around the hole.

Get some discard piece and practice, to find your ideal speed. Working with acrylic can be an art form.
OHHHHH hahahah, that makes a lot more sense, thanks for the link. 20" just to go through 3/8", wow.

MagicalLobster

Arachnosquire
Oh, THIS sucks, I checked online and I can't order them online. The nearest store is 2 hrs away...Sucks!

Thanks! a hole saw, sounds like a job for my Dremel to drill holes. I don't own a hole saw, just a drill.
Viper, you can order varying kinds of these boxes. I found that I couldn't order the big men's shoe boxes also and so I ordered some for high heeled shoes that I'm assuming will work well. Here is the link: http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10023923&N=&Ntt=clear+shoe+box

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Viper, you can order varying kinds of these boxes. I found that I couldn't order the big men's shoe boxes also and so I ordered some for high heeled shoes that I'm assuming will work well. Here is the link: http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10023923&N=&Ntt=clear+shoe+box
Let me know how they work for you! I need something like that, or maybe those long Kritter Keepers for some terrestrials (I just don't like how little room there is from the top to the substrate floor, it's enough for an active terrestrial to walk about or RUN out when the lid opens. I have a Pumpkin Patch and a GBB, and I can't have those guys running out haha. That's why I like those acrylic setups because there's enough space in height. Ultimately I'm going to get some acrylic enclosures.

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
You mean this container? :p

I bought this acrylic container on sale for about $15. They didn't have the taller high-heeled model, so I gave this one a try. I personally think it's too short, so I'm on the lookout for the taller one soon.
I didn't modify the sides at all, since they have 10 small hole pre-drilled.
Specs: 1 and 1/2" hole saw for three 1 and 5/8" vents. The hole saw will cut slightly larger than intended, so a 1 and 1/2" vent passes right through. The vents I found had cute bender tabs, making this build a breeze.
LowRideredit.jpg
Also, you may note that my vent holes weren't drilled very well, but it's okay... the vents can cover those easily! ^

Oh, and just an example of what I meant by slow and steady wins the race. Holes 1-3 were done in about 5 minutes. Number 4 was done in just under 20 minutes. Number 5 took the entire length of an episode of The Big Bang Theory (minus commercials) which is just about 22-25 minutes. Up close, 5 looks photoshopped.
Example Holes.jpg