new scorps how often mis-id?

alexi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just got 3 new C vittatus - and they look great so far! pretty sure I've got 2 male one female, judging by the metasoma lengths.

I have one question for folks here: how often are mistaken identifications a problem with these guys? I got them from Ken the Bug guy and I know he's got a good rep, and they look like C vittatus to me, but I just ask because I'm not really interested in keeping genuinely hot scorpions (treat them all as hot, I know) and so I was curious how often that happens. Also, here's a couple quick shots I got off with my phone, I will try and post better ones later.

IMG_0879.jpg IMG_0880.jpg

DansDragons

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
looks like the "xeric" form of C. vittatus, there's also a "mesic" form which is darker.

here are my xeric males from ken, for referance.

Last edited:

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Scorpions are usually misidentified when they are imported in large quantities. Animal importers generally do not know much about the animals they are importing.:) Scorpions are also misidentified when dealers create fancy common names to to lure buyers.

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
yeah, what 2nscopx said, vittatus are usually not misID'd since they are native and common in the US. I understand you double checking though, good idea.