1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Scorpion Mama

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by AnaisFatale, Mar 24, 2018.

1. AnaisFatale

AnaisFatale Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Hey everyone, just wanted to say hi. I’m a first time Scorpion mama from NYC and wanted to find somewhere to get tips that aren’t on a pet shop care sheet. I have an AFS and have no clue of it’s age or sex. Hoping someone can help. Will add photos. Thanks.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Tim Benzedrine

Tim Benzedrine Prankster Possum Old Timer

You came to the right place. Try to get a ventral shot of the pectines. (Little comb-like appendages) Somebody should be able to at least make an educated guess.

• Like Like x 1
  3. AnaisFatale

AnaisFatale Arachnopeon

Thank you!
    I’ve been trying all day without much luck to get a good shot. Lol

4. AnaisFatale

AnaisFatale Arachnopeon

6C033819-A72E-4AC3-A58B-F17838881AF2.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tim Benzedrine

Sooner or later, you'll catch it bellied up against the interior of the enclosure. Try to get a shot when that happens. It will need to be a pretty clear photo in order for anybody to make a reliable assessment, but that should not be too difficult to get.

6. Tim Benzedrine

Whoops. I didn't think think the first post went through after my browser hung up, so I recreated it. :eek:.

Apparently it did, so I've edited the second version out.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  7. ArachnoDrew

ArachnoDrew Arachnoprince Arachnosupporter

Looks like a mature heterometrus petersii . Dont know sex.

8. Judging from the tooth in the claw, it looks female (from the angle, anyway). A picture of the pectines will give a much more certain answer though.

9. Jose Rivera

Jose Rivera Arachnopeon

Fl
    Looking from the side if it’s not over fed and fat its possibly a female. But to be 100% we need a picture of the petines. Easy way to do this is to get a clear and clean deli cup with a lid. Then take the picture from the button. Also if you have a bigger deli cup you can tip over the deli cup with the lid on and take a more clear picture. The sides of the deli cups give more of a clear picture then the button of the cup.

10. Jose Rivera

Jose Rivera Arachnopeon

Fl
    Here’s an example. The 1st one is a subadult male and the 2nd picture is an adult female. These are Empereor scorpions pandinus imperator types. But it’s just an example of an easy way to take a picture of your scorpion. Hope this could help you.

Attached Files:

11. Jose Rivera

Jose Rivera Arachnopeon

Fl
    I also use the flash forgot to say that.

12. darkness975

darkness975 will the Sun ever rise? Arachnosupporter

Cover half the lid with saran wrap to keep it a bit more humid.

Is there several inches of substrate for burrowing?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. AnaisFatale

AnaisFatale Arachnopeon

B1170090-6F8C-4131-B46C-E50E93F81581.jpeg Hi everyone, thanks for all the replies. I got a pic before I switched her into her big terrarium. The camera focus was the best I could get, now she doesn’t climb the glass in her bigger enclosure.

14. AnaisFatale

AnaisFatale Arachnopeon

Thank you, will try the Saran Wrap and yes, that was her temp tank I had originally posted. She’s in an Exo-terra terrarium now with a lot more substrate to burrow in. =]

• Like Like x 1
  15. darkness975

darkness975 will the Sun ever rise? Arachnosupporter

A happy Scorpion will spend much of its time contently hanging in or around its burrow. Some species wander more than others but in general they are an ambush predator. If you don't see yours wall dancing in the new Enclosure then that is a good sign.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. AnaisFatale

AnaisFatale Arachnopeon

Awesome, thank you!

17. AnaisFatale

AnaisFatale Arachnopeon

Thanks so much

18. Paul1126

Paul1126 Arachnobaron Active Member

Glad to hear it!
    Mine spends a good chunk of it's time inside a burrow, only see it around midnight.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Jose Rivera

Jose Rivera Arachnopeon

Fl
    Your very welcome!