New Scorpion Mama

AnaisFatale

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone, just wanted to say hi. I’m a first time Scorpion mama from NYC and wanted to find somewhere to get tips that aren’t on a pet shop care sheet. I have an AFS and have no clue of it’s age or sex. Hoping someone can help. Will add photos. Thanks.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
You came to the right place. Try to get a ventral shot of the pectines. (Little comb-like appendages) Somebody should be able to at least make an educated guess.

AnaisFatale

Arachnopeon
You came to the right place. Try to get a ventral shot of the pectines. (Little comb-like appendages) Somebody should be able to at least make an educated guess.
Thank you!
I’ve been trying all day without much luck to get a good shot. Lol

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Sooner or later, you'll catch it bellied up against the interior of the enclosure. Try to get a shot when that happens. It will need to be a pretty clear photo in order for anybody to make a reliable assessment, but that should not be too difficult to get.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Whoops. I didn't think think the first post went through after my browser hung up, so I recreated it. :eek:.

Apparently it did, so I've edited the second version out.

Last edited:

Terrena Laxamentum

Arachnoknight
Judging from the tooth in the claw, it looks female (from the angle, anyway). A picture of the pectines will give a much more certain answer though.

Jose Rivera

Arachnopeon
Looking from the side if it’s not over fed and fat its possibly a female. But to be 100% we need a picture of the petines. Easy way to do this is to get a clear and clean deli cup with a lid. Then take the picture from the button. Also if you have a bigger deli cup you can tip over the deli cup with the lid on and take a more clear picture. The sides of the deli cups give more of a clear picture then the button of the cup.

AnaisFatale

Arachnopeon
B1170090-6F8C-4131-B46C-E50E93F81581.jpeg Hi everyone, thanks for all the replies. I got a pic before I switched her into her big terrarium. The camera focus was the best I could get, now she doesn’t climb the glass in her bigger enclosure.

AnaisFatale

Arachnopeon
Cover half the lid with saran wrap to keep it a bit more humid.

Is there several inches of substrate for burrowing?
Thank you, will try the Saran Wrap and yes, that was her temp tank I had originally posted. She’s in an Exo-terra terrarium now with a lot more substrate to burrow in. =]

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
View attachment 272287 Hi everyone, thanks for all the replies. I got a pic before I switched her into her big terrarium. The camera focus was the best I could get, now she doesn’t climb the glass in her bigger enclosure.
A happy Scorpion will spend much of its time contently hanging in or around its burrow. Some species wander more than others but in general they are an ambush predator. If you don't see yours wall dancing in the new Enclosure then that is a good sign.

AnaisFatale

Arachnopeon
A happy Scorpion will spend much of its time contently hanging in or around its burrow. Some species wander more than others but in general they are an ambush predator. If you don't see yours wall dancing in the new Enclosure then that is a good sign.
Awesome, thank you!

AnaisFatale

Arachnopeon
Here’s an example. The 1st one is a subadult male and the 2nd picture is an adult female. These are Empereor scorpions pandinus imperator types. But it’s just an example of an easy way to take a picture of your scorpion. Hope this could help you.
Thanks so much

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Glad to hear it!
Mine spends a good chunk of it's time inside a burrow, only see it around midnight.